Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭fafy

The reduced 9% vat on electricity/gas currently ends on October 31st, so as to enable a possible further extension in the budget, which should be early October next, i’d guess they will extend this vat reduction again, as allthough prices have reduced, the reductions have been slow, and prices are still way higher, that what they were pre 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭cb123

Couldn't sign up to either of the Flogas Certa or BWG offers. Form failed to submit, presume the offer has expired.

Looking at Energia standard 24 hr plan, anyone know if this is fixed or variable? I presumed fixed until I went over to bonkers to compare the plan and bonkers is says that Energia is a variable rate.

Edit: Upon further reading most plans are now variable - is it worth seeking out a fixed? I do like to a fixed rate, no suprises.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭TheSunIsShining

It being an election budget too probably comes into play. Difficult to drop some of the one off measures in the pre election budget - from a political perspective anyway. Can see this VAT reduction being extended, third level fee reduction being done in some form, even if less than the 1000 done last year and year before, the electric credit being done again even if less again than last year and the transport cuts being extended.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Nollog

I had a problem with the flogas form when using my browser's auto-complete. I typed it all manually like an animal and clicked the "find address" button (editing the business name i live above) and it went through.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭fafy

agree, thats a likely result, and they will probably drop, the one off payment measures for Fuel Allowance, to compensate those hardest hit. which were given in 2023 calendar year, and given again in 2024, albeit reduced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,074 ✭✭✭Guffy

Currently coming off the flogas beg fixed that was suggested here last year.

Is there a simarly best priced plan this year or is it just go to bonkers and find a plan. Yuno energy is the current suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

yuno will always come up fifers because they have it preselected to show only options available to switch and you need to unselect it

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭cb123

Ah, didn't even think to try that. Cheers for the reply. Ended up with SSE. Did the calculations with the latest bill and with the 2% cashback from PTSB it worked out very similar. €2 something dearer so not too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭jasonb

I'm getting ready to switch, am currently with Flogas and last year's BWG offer. Am using Bonkers.ie to look at my options (I have a Day/Night non-smart meter) and it looks like I can make some decent savings, even more so if I split my Electricity and Gas between two different suppliers.

Any thoughts on whether it's better to go with a fixed rate for the year, or a variable rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I'd go fixed if possible. Talk of price increases for the winter already.

I'm looking around as well. I'm up in August with flogas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Romero

Same here got the letter from them this morning saying deal finished on the 15th of August. I don't have a smart meter, and usually go with the one company for both gas and electricity

• Registered Users Posts: 17,029 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Time for me to change too, are any companies sneakily activating smart meters?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

There has been cases where people were asked if they wanted electricity insights or being able to view usage on the suppliers website.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

I wouldn't pay much heed to him tbh. He's only interested in marketing the bonkers name to get commission via switching. In most cases there is better deals either going direct or talking to your existing supplier. Bonkers does nothing to further the case of the consumer or call out the limitations of the regulator.

Another quick Question. If my letter from Flogas says my contract ends on the 3rd July, does that mean that I can change supplier tomorrow without being charged a fee for leaving "early" or does it mean that it ends at midnight tomorrow and I should wait until Thursday?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

When I go to download the Hdf file from Esb networks I just have the option of one weeks use from whatever start date I enter. Is that normal?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

The HDF has everything, the website only shows a week

If you leave a day before the end of contract your penalised.

If it's the 3rd. Leave on the 4th.

Thanks! Funnily enough, it looks like the Electricity ends on the 3rd, and the Gas on the 4th, glad I checked now.

• Advertisement

How do I get a standard day/night comparison on energypal with a smart meter ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,171 ✭✭✭batistuta9

it only compares smart plans but you can add a custom one to it. find the DN yourself or on the other switchers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,171 ✭✭✭batistuta9

course he is but they're (switcher too) a handy way to see what's out there.

but there's nothing you can really disagree with he's saying there. sse reduce, others could soon. pso coming back, yep cru recommending 3 a month. reduced vat is due to expire

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

With Flogas for the past 2 years and contract expiring at the end of August

Current rates

Gas: GreenFuture 36%

Daily standing charge: 0.18 euro (VAT included)

Unit rate: Eu: 0.72 (VAT included).

We average 11.000 kW p/a

Electricity: DG1 24hrs Res Green Future 42%

Annual standing charge Eu: 144.02 (incl VAT)

24 hour unit rate per kWh 0.211 (incl VAT)

We average 4200 kWh (estimated annual bill of Eu 1813)

We have just installed solar panels (with a 5kW battery) and for May and June have exported some 320 kWh each month.
    Have an electric car which we charge approximately once a week from home.

EnergyPal telling me best to go with Energia, SSE Airtricity and Electric Ireland-in that order (very little difference between these) while Switcher and Bonkers.ie are telling me a completely different story.
    In full disclosure, in the past, I didn't pay attention to the whole switching process butt his year want to spend some time getting the best deal.
    Any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

use the price comparison sites and energypal website to find the best deal to suit your needs

The internet isn’t for everyone

First time using Energy pal yesterday, great site. Saves me the hours spent going through each provider looking for the best deals. I'm up in August from the Smart Bwg with Flogas. Electric Ireland Home Electric+ Saver 30 is coming up as my best option. It's a 24hr rate @25.08c Inc vat, 250ish standing charge I think. I'll go with that unless prices drop in the meantime.

I got my latest bill from flogas.

1100 kWh at night and 430 during the day. Plug in hybrid puts the numbers up.

need to decide who to go with.

94, 56, 41kwh on the day, night, peak times for me. No electric vehicles here.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 pacman114

Currently have an inactivated 24 hour smart meter…is it a case of just signing up for a smart day/night plan to switch to day/night?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,047 ✭✭✭CoBo55

With energia, yes you can do that. For the other providers you'll need to get a day/night meter, some providers will request the meter change for you without any hassle, others make a big song and dance about it.

Advertisement