Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭breeno

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭jasonb

Anyone else have a delay getting an outstanding balance back from FloGas? I cancelled my account a month ago and I am still waiting. I rang them today and got the usual guff about it taking "up to" 6 weeks (with no explanation why) and that it would be escalated. I'm not holding my breath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Deleted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,461 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Yer man never said it to me when I signed up, but good to be aware of

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Am near end of duel fuel contract with SSE and they are only advertising a 10% renewal discount to current customers.

Renewal SSE 10%
    Electric - 0.2998 (SC 240.97 )
    Gas - 0.0928 (SC 152.31)

I rang them and they also have a fixed rate offer for 12 months which works out cheaper (need to ring them to go for that)

Fixed rate 12 months (not offered online)
    Electric 0.2458 (SC 240.97 )
    Gas 0.828 (SC 152.31)

Anyone know if rates are due to drop soon? would I be mad going for the cheaper fixed rate?

I could switch too but not seeing any huge differences or major deals to switch either :

*comparisons*

Energia - Standard duel Fuel 29%/29%
    Electric - 0.2704 (SC 236.60 )
    Gas - 0.0799 (SC 141.59)
    (need to sign up on Energia site)

FloGas
    Fixed rate duel fuel 1 yr
    Electric - 0.2559 (SC 257.37 )
    Gas - 0.0867 (SC 151.18)

Electric Ireland
    Duel 28%
    Electric - 0.2580 (SC 250.76 )
    Gas - 0.0864 (SC 155.96)

€50 welcome credit

Bord Gais
    Dual Fuel 24% / 20%
    Electric - 0.2785 (SC 218.55 )
    Gas - 0.0894 (SC 131.69)

€100 welcome credit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭bren2001

The Flogas Certa deal for electricity is cheaper than everything you've listed per unit. The standing charge would need to be factored in.

The Energia gas rate is cheaper. You should consider going seperate for gas and electricity.

Anyone know if rates are due to drop soon? would I be mad going for the cheaper fixed rate?

Nobody can say for certain. Gas prices don't appear to be falling anymore and, in my opinion, if there is a rate drop later in the year, it won't be by much e.g. 10%. Worst case scenario, you pay the €50 break fee per fuel (SSE its €100). One advantage of fixed is that you don't have to worry if prices go the other way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Sarn

As mentioned above, you’re often better off splitting gas and electricity to get a better offer. I signed up to Bord Gais separately for gas and electricity as it was better than their dual fuel offer. Their customer service had no issue with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Just doing a bit of checking to see if we can get a better deal and trying to understand some things here. Bear with me as these might all be silly questions. So here's our current bill with Bord Gais:

Based on this, is it correct that our unit rate is 26.3c (33.72*78%) per unit excluding VAT? I'm guessing based on above that VAT is added on to everything, which would make our VAT inclusive unit rate 28.66c, right?

2nd question - when looking at the rates on Energypal.ie, are the rates in the table inclusive of VAT or not? These are the rates I mean:

Whats your meter type? It appears as if you have a standard 24 hour meter with a nightsaver meter (which isn't used)? If so, just use bonkers, there's no benefit to energypal in this instance.

Applying the above figures to the Certa deal, you would save €100 every 2 months assuming consistent usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Appreciate it - so we're on a standard 24h plan currently, but some things have changed:

1. We've had solar installed in the last few weeks (6.9kwh array - no battery).
    2. We've had a smart meter installed - we were on a 24h + storage heater metre until now, but the storage heaters are long gone so they've replaced with a standard smart metre.
    3. We're happy to run heavy stuff (dishwasher/washing machine/dryer/car charger) at night, so smart plans make more sense for us I think.
    4. The units used above was catching up on incorrect estimates after a reading, so are probably not a great reference point.

With that in mind, I was looking at something like the Energia Smart Data plan which has similar day rates (including the peak rate) to what we're paying, but almost half that for the night rate. Add to that the FIT being 24c instead of what we currently have which is 18c with Bord Gais.

I say all of that as someone who is only just checking this out now for the 1st time since solar, so more than open to criticism on above if there's a better place we should be looking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭beachhead

Posters should state if rates are VAT incl or excl.These look like discounts included and no VAT added?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭LizardKing

They should be VAT included. Makes no sense to have excluding VAT for normal people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,214 ✭✭✭batistuta9

ex vat for me, as that's the unit rate you're actually on + vat might go back up soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Surely it's all relative . If vat goes up it will go up by the same percentage all around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,187 ✭✭✭CoBo55

At the earliest it'll go back to 13.5% after the 31st of October. I prefer when posters include Vat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,524 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Is it still a concern that non activated smart meters are accidently activated by companies? This is the only thing that delays me moving to a new supplier and just taking BGE retention offers (which aren't bad in fairness)

The number of smart meters accidentally activated by companies is so close to 0% its a non-issue. There was an issue of people accidentally activating their smart meters with unclear information (or just a lack of information indicating this may happen). Hence, you should never sign up to "insights" from the suppliers or anything which gives them access to the 30 minute data. You can access you HDF file without activating the meter from the ESB. You just need to be careful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Any Bord Gais customers been offered more than the 24% off electricity and 20% off gas for renewal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,524 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Paulzx

nope

• Advertisement

That's the worst about BG they're very stingy with their existing customers. Energia were the best for me, they'd always match whoever I was moving to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭breeno

How long does it normally take to hear back from Flogas? I got an initial application received email on the day I applied on 27/07 and was expecting a letter to follow but nothing yet.

Nobody can answer that one unfortunately, I left them on the 15th of July and haven't heard a peep from them, no final bill, zippo 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭ACAandCTA

I think the Certa deal should be OK for the full year based on the plan heading and the reference to 12 month contract in the terms: Certa Affinity - Electricity Fixed 1 YR

The BWG deal makes no reference to 1 year in the heading and the terms explicitly state Contract end date is 31st March 2025: BWG Fixed Rate Affinity Electricity Offer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭greasepalm

My first 2 bills from Flogas were over 700 and 650 euro and free brown trousers.

No bills when no gas is used is nice

• Registered Users Posts: 9,467 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

took about three weeks until I got a letter and then the next I heard from the was my first bill

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,393 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Currently with SEE Airtricity for the next 4 months until late November on 33 day 20 night and €285 standing. It will cost €100 for early exit. Flogas are 25.48/12.35/331

By my calculations if I moved now I'd be effectively paying €25/month on the cancellation and €11.50/month extra on the standing charge, total 36.50 extra per month but also get an 8c/kWh saving. Meaning I break even if I use 456kWh a month

This doesn't sound massively difficult but could somebody confirm if my figures are accurate?

Post edited by Red Silurian on

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭4dxc

Energia wouldn`t even match their own offers when I asked them to put me on the latest rates/discounts and extend the contract for another 12months.

Post edited by 4dxc on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭John arse

That's strange, did they not offer you the 37% discount (what did they offer btw?)- plenty more providers out there though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭beachhead

Won't be expecting any loyalty discount from BGE when contract expires

Advertisement