Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Gooser14

They calculate it on a pro-rata basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,624 ✭✭✭bren2001

Any bill I have received have been split on a pro-rata basis. They have not factored in time of year etc. I suspect, if you use more electricity post-increase period, it would make sense to not submit a meter reading.

I didn't submit a gas meter reading prior to the EI increase because I've used no gas since May. My next bill should be pro-rata on the new rate and old rate so worst case scenario, I'd be in the same position as submitting a meter reading. Likely, it will be pro-rata and I'll save a few €€€.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

As do the likes of Bonkers.ie when predicting an inflated savings when trying to convince you to switch supplier.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation and can advise.

I am currently in a place with prepay power who emailed me about sending out the top up government codes for 600 starting in November.

I am moving to a new house in a few weeks and I signed up with electric Ireland yesterday.

Does anyone know a way to let it be known I will be gone to electric Ireland and to give me the 600 for the new property.

I assume first steps are too tell prepay power I will be cancelling with them in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Fishdoodle

If you signed up with EI yesterday, then I would assume that aslo means your cancellation with PrePay is since yesterday (and not in a few weeks time). You'll be due €200 before Christmas. Since you're switching that amount should automatically transfer to EI who will credit your account. No harm telling Prepay you have initiated a move in the meantime.

Aside from that, I wonder if you are getting a new meter installed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭UID0

The credit is applied to each domestic account, so there will be €600 for the place you currently are, which will be applied as €200 to the supplier who is in place on whatever dates the government specify that the credit is to apply, and €600 for your new house.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Currently with Electric Ireland for electricity and still have some of the €200 cr left not much and out of contract.

Also have smart Meter

Does Bonkers show all options or is it best to contact supplier directly. So do the Bonkers check first and then ring Supplier

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I am here in the house with pre pay power until the first few days of November.

I have electric Ireland opened in the new house which I will move into in early November.

I needed the electricity for people doing work in the evenings to have light.

So currently I have an account with two suppliers for two different properties.

If I am correct it sounds like in November once I have prepay power still open then I will get 200 credit from them, which I can then give to a friend as I will not need it.

I will also recieve 200 from Electric Ireland.

So I am better to not cancel pre pay power until I move out of the current house.

I was worried I would get just the 200 for pre pay power which I wouldn't be using and get nothing for electric Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭UID0

I don't know if prepay power restrict the codes so that they will only work with the meter in your current house. I would suggest calling/emailing them and asking how it works, and if you can have the credit given as cash instead of top up codes as your account is being closed. In spring, people who had moved from one supplier to another in the time between the date the credit applied and the date it was paid were given refunds to their bank account by their old supplier as their account was in credit.

You'll need to transfer the account for your current house to someone, not cancel it, and the person who is the account holder on whatever date is chosen by the government for the credit to apply will be the person who gets the credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭redmond08

Rang EI loyalty department, I have a nightsaver meter. All they would offer me was 14% off or €75 off a future bill. Works out 39.75 Day 19.61 Night. Will probably switch to BG.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

Got first EV Energia Bill for just 1 month and was spot on rate and discount wise

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭masterboy123

My Electric Ireland contract is expiring today.

They are giving me 150€ cashback and following rates:

Electricity=43c per kwh

Gas=13.5c per kwh

Any better deals for me?

Our usual bimonthly bill is 150€ for elec and 150€ for gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭ongarite

Onebigswitch bundle deal with Bord Gais is considerably cheaper.

Think it's 33c/kWh for electricity & 9c/kWh for gas.

Thanks.

I tried the OneBigSwitch dual fuel deal. It asked whether I have a smart meter plan and when I click YES, it wont let me continue (pls see attached screenshot).

I have free Sunday electricity with Electric Ireland right now and I think it can be counted as a smart meter plan.

Anyone got experience with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Sarn

That’s the problem with smart plans. Once you sign up to one, you can’t avail of any non-smart plans ever again.

Plans with free electricity tend to only be available on smart energy plans.

Thanks. Do you think Onebigswitch would know what my current plan is i.e. smart energy plan?

They wouldn't have a clue, but yes, you are on a smart meter plan and are ineligible.

Thanks, I will take my chances so 😀 I am not on day and night rates.

It'll get rejected. You're on a smart plan, the provider will reject it as they can tell - OBS can't as they are not an energy provider.

How would BordGais know what my current plan is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,785 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Your MPRN will reveal it. It won't go through. Don't waste your time.

Because you are on a smart plan, your meter will have a certain code. It'll be on your bill, MCC16 or the like

• Registered Users Posts: 13,388 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I am just out of contract with Energia.

Current rates are 44.44 cent less just 10% discount = 40 cent plus 9% VAT = 43.60 cent

They used to offer 40% discounts!!

Bonkers and Switcher recommend EI, rates as follows:

39.70 cent less 8.5% = 36.33 cent plus 9% VAT = 39.60 cent

So EI is 4 cent cheaper than Energia.

I just signed up to One Big Switch, and got BGE as follows:

44.21 cent less 33% = 29.62 plus 9% VAT = 32.29 cent

Plus a saving on gas of 3.5 cent per unit.

Seems to be a very good deal............

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

Really seems to be the only descent deal around these days!!

Hi All,

So I can't switch to BordGais via Onebigswitch as I am on Smart Meter Plan.

Electric Ireland are giving me 150€ cashback if I stay with them and following rates:

Electricity=43c per kwh

Gas=13.5c per kwh

Free Sunday electricity.

Could there be better deal out there for me?

Bonkers, Power Switch and CRU sites suggesting to get two different providers for Elec and Gas. And saving is minimal.

I was expecting a call from BordGais and finally came today .....

They offered to renew the Electricity contract with a 25% Discount at 36.14c pKwh. (though when they give the quote they gave a figure of 33.14c without the Vat).

The One Big Switch deal works out at 32.29 c pKwh.

Didn't make any decision on their offer.

The One Big Switch is open to existing customer customers at the end of their contract?

Not to existing customers, no. I was thinking there must be some workaround however like changing the account holder, but could get messy.

This is what is says for Electricity anyway...not sure about both electric and gas.

"Available to new Bord Gáis Energy and existing Bord Gáis Energy customers~

~To avail of this offer you must be successfully signed up to BGE with paperless billing and direct debit. Existing customers can only avail of these offers if they are out of contract or within the last 2 months of their existing contract."

• Advertisement

Wow -well spotted! I presumed that offer was only open to customers switching over. Thanks for that 🙂👍

Advertisement