Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Fishdoodle

‼️Heads-up for anyone aiming to sit out their contract for the next few days / weeks.

The One Big Switch offer will only be available until this FRIDAY , the 21st.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

Are Energia still honouring the low 12 month fixed unit rate?

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

I’ve about 20 days left in my EI contract, they offered me ValuReward which is poor value imo. I was planning to sign up to their discounted rate (elec. 37.21c & gas 12.6c) through bonkers but seen the One Big Switch deal here.

Stupid question possibly - Can I sign up through OBS even though my contract isn’t up yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,259 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Yes but it'll cost you €100 to break the contract with EI - €50 per fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

We had a smart meter installed by an electrician who was doing a load of them in this area about a month ago.

As a matter of interest could we have said we didn’t want one?

He had a list of all houses he had to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

I’m in the same boat. I think someone in an earlier post said it could probably be cost effective to take the early release fee as you’ll still be making a saving over a years contract. It will just be 50/100 less of a saving.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

It seems that having a smart meter (not even a smart plan), precludes you from OBS (although that is of course, unclear). Here's the reply I got from OBS this morning (after "successfully" going through the sign up process the other day):

Unfortunately, your recent switch application has been returned to us by Bord Gáis Energy due to:

Smart Offer is required. Offer is not eligible for this record as per the MPRN eligibility rules. MPRN parameters which decide the eligibility are - Meter Category, CTF. for example, HH offer is valid only if Smart meter and CTF is 03 or 04.

In order to resolve this and further process your switch you will need to contact Bord Gáis Energy directly. You can reach Bord Gáis by calling 01 611 01 51.

They seem to have a gift for answering one question in a way that leads to 3 more. "Smart Offer is required" - Ok, where is the smart offer? For anyone wondering what the **** CTF is, there is a doc here which shows the 4 possible values. No idea how this affects my eligibility to go on a plan with a 24H fixed rate but anyway, I give up. Going to try and get the 14% EI offer... If I'm "eligible"!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,624 ✭✭✭bren2001

That's just it. My EAB on OBS is €2,672 (or €2,772 with the €100 exit fee). EI would need to give me around a 35% discount to come close to that to retain me. Simply not going to happen. Next best available on Switcher excluding EI is €600 more expensive than OBS. Makes sense for me to eat the €100. Annoying tho.

EAB based on Gas 10,000 and Elec 3,600.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,422 ✭✭✭con747

Yes you could, but eventually would have to get it put in if it works in your house due to all meters being changed to smart ones where possible.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 danny19861986

1g

Post edited by danny19861986 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭User142

Got this reply too. Currently on a 24H rate with a smart meter. Stumped as to how it makes any sense that a smart meter means I must pay more for electricity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Gooser14

So does this mean that if you have a smart meter you are restricted to smart plans if you want to switch supplier even if you are currently on a 24 hr plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭User142

Based off these CTF scoring if my smart meter couldn't communicate with ESB I could sign up for the 24H tariff. But because my smart meter is scored as working I must pay more energy. I don't have time today but will try call tomorrow...

Make it make sense

If you're with EI the standing charge for electricity and gas is about €20 higher (for each) Vs the BG OBS offer. So you could consider the exit penalty €30/€60 and not feel so bad about it. 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

No brainier then. I’ll do the switcheroo tomorrow 😊

Electric Ireland told me the other day that ordinary day rates will not be available from 2024 if you have a smart meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

I just took the plunge and went for the EI smart plan "Home Electric+ NightBoost" (switched from EI 24H non-smart plan). I figure the suppliers are going to have to start making smart plans more attractive eventually and this one is not bad compared to others! Obviously, not as good as the OBS offer. The base rates for day/night are the same as their "Day & Night Meter", however the smart plans only have a 5.5% discount applied, unlike 14% for the normal meter plans, plus the standing charge for this smart plan is €483, as opposed to €380 for non-smart plans (??? apparently it costs more not to send meter readers out every 2 months - or maybe it's just greed - who knows?!). If you're not already with EI, there's a €150 Welcome Bonus also which kinda makes up for those extra costs. There's also of course the potential to save by using some things more at night at 21.55c/Kwh (2-4am is 12.65c/Kwh). My usage is already about 35-40% at night.

If you rang up, you might be able to do better but I no longer have the patience for that!

For reference, here are the current rates for that plan (no peak premium rate surprisingly!):

Day: 08.00 - 23.00 43.68c per kWh

Night: 23.00 - 08.00 21.55c per kWh

Night Boost: 02.00 - 04.00 12.65c per kWh

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭garlad

Going to take the hit and leave EI early. With them until 7/12/22 (even though I registered to switch on the 28/10/21).

I estimate a €400 saving compared to staying with EI on a 8.5% discount. Less €100 penalty. Still saving approx. €300

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭louthuser

Quick question - I am trying to join the one big switch and move providers.

I bank with Revolut & the OBS form is asking me for a sort code . When I try to enter REVOLT21 it says to use digits only. Any solution?

If already with Bord Gais for electricity in contract until start of November, will they charge the €50 fee even when switching on OBS?

• Advertisement

Sort codes not really a payments concept anymore. It's the IBAN number that's needed for sepa payments.

I had a contract with them ending this November and they contacted me offering 40% discount if I renewed. I was on a 40% discount from when I joined last November. Give them a call or check your spam folder for missed emails. I think the OBS offer is less than that of a discount.

I'm in the same 40% deal but haven't heard anything from them other than a generic email about the contract ending soon. I'll give them a shout. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭timetogo1

Maybe use any other account you or your other half (have) if applicable, temporarily.

I switched using OBS yesterday. I got stuck on the account number bit too. I had to go hunting to find my account number. I'm with PTSB so eventually found it on my statement. Revolut don't seem to have the same option.

However, this morning I got my Bord Gais login and when I go to account details you can enter an IBAN as you'd expect. So maybe use an account number that you have (just to get registered) and then when you get the BG login you can enter an IBAN in the payment details.

This is what they emailed me on the 3rd October

Hi ****

At Bord Gáis Energy, we want to make sure that you're getting the best deal possible. 

We've noticed that your current discount will be ending soon, so we want to offer you another great discount for a fixed term of 12 months! Estimated annual bill of €1571**. Simply click on the button below and confirm your new offer.Get a 40% discount* on your electricity now

That’s interesting -BG emailed me mid September with letter saying contract would be up in Nov and they’d be in touch with a renewal offer. 2 weeks ago they called and offered 25% off. I asked them to make a note of this and I’d consider it. They wouldn’t put a hold on the offer, saying their offers change everyday. So just went with OBS. Seems inconsistent. Hope others have better luck with 40% 🙂

No, so as technically you’re renewing with BG and the offer is open to BG customers with up to 2 months remaining on their contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 toshiba01

I'm on a 24 rate with EI (30% discount) but I have a smart meter. Contract expires this weekend. They will offer me 26% discount on existing 24 hr plan but only the standard 5.5% discount if I switch to the Home Electric+ Night Boost Smart plan. So I would pay much more (43.68 c/kWh discounted v 32c/kWh) for daytime use on the Smart Plan which would wipe out any savings I get by getting a cheaper night rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭sonyvision

Does anyone know if you break contract with EI will they claim back any cashback offer? I got 150eueo in Nov 2021 so contract not up for another 4 weeks but with OBS ending tomorrow that offer is much better than 8% with EI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Gooser14

I believe they can but you need to check your contract T&Cs.

Advertisement