Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Tazium

Thanks for the tip, but no, we've not activated any options. We've moved from Panda to Energia to Electric Ireland all from the same MPRN over the years we've been here. At a loss to know why it's now being blocked. Wait times for help are ridiculous on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Gooser14

So I'm assuming your bill is still showing the MCC as MCC01.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Sarn

This would be interesting to know. If it has changed, it would indicate that EI has unilaterally decided to change some accounts over (or it was not clear when clicking something in the account what would happen).

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭The Gardener

I opted for EI's "energy insights' early on in the game, unwittingly I was putting myself on a smart plan. Would be slow to return to EI in the future, but I am prepared to swallow my pride if the price is right!

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Tazium

Just checked and it shows MCC12. I'm a fecker when it comes to these things, I'll be asking them to show me where I agreed to any changes. Still on the phone, been 1 hour, 26 minutes so far. That's a massive amount of lost time on hold and without reasonable justification in my opinion. Too many places claiming COVID is the reason for such increased call wait times. Bad form.

• Advertisement

The problem being your are now restricted to smart tariffs going forward as you can't move back to a 24 hr tariff. I have however seen posts about people being successful in having their smart meter removed & replaced with a day/night meter (MCC02).

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭bonkers

If I enable these without the 30m interval. Does that move me to a irreversible smart plan?

Out of contract at end of this month with ei. Offered me 14% disc but currently on 26%. They tell me to wait for a better offer via a call from them

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Flogas latest bill have kept me at the old standing charge of €280pa, despite it rising for new customers. €183.49 credit also applied. Happy enough.

Seems to me that you don't have an option to choose anything other than the 30 min interval which results in the listed free services being provided.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭garlad

Surely they can't do this?

I tried to switch when that OBS offer was available but was rejected due to 'smart meter'

I'm not on a smart tariff but my bill does state MCC12. Most likely due to the 'Energy Inights' with EI.

But were we informed that this would mean we could never move back to a 24 hr tariff?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Itchyness

Thanks for the heads up. I had rang yesterday before I saw your post and was offered 7% off despite them having 10% off on the website! I did receive the call from BG with 25% off but back at the end of September. I didn't take it at the time but now its not available apparently. I just called the loyalty line line that you posted and the lady said that the offer ended and only 10% off was the only offer available? I am out of contract now but she said the offer is not different whether you are in or out of contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭nephster

Jeez. They started with me with an 18% discount yesterday and then "looked in the catalogue" and came up with the 25%, unprompted. They did say to come back to them as soon as possible as said discounts were changing rapidly; I couldn't find anything close to that for my fairly modest usage figures, so called them back within about 30 minutes and accepted.

It's hideous having to do it, but this is starting to remind me of the old Sky and Virgin loyalty threads where you have to keep on ringing and can get different results each time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭Trimm Trabb

Rang BG back yesterday and they offered me 25%.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

I renewed with EI on the understanding that my 30% discount would continue and got an email recently saying total annual bill is expected to be €1,652 inc vat and all charges assuming average usage. This, I think, includes the discounted rate.

Now my account says discount is only 5.5% and that would push the bill to over €2k per year. Has anyone else had similar? I have a request with them to re-apply the higher discount and will escalate it if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭masterboy123

My Electric Ireland contract has expired a month ago. I couldn't get a better deal from their Loyality team but to continue free Sunday and 8.5% discount (picture attached).

Am I better off staying with EI?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Itchyness

Ah stop! That has me raging now! I imagine its because I am out of contract now, despite what they say. It's counter intuitive but calling them to bargain a higher discount is what perpetuates the system they operate. They should be given only one opportunity to provide their best quote and if doesn't beat the competition, then customers should move.

I think i'll switch to Energia as it's pretty much the same cost for me and had a good experience with them before.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭sonyvision

Called EI retention team, base rate offered was 14% of both Eletric and Gas. No budging any higher contract up in 10 days. I'll give bord gais a call see what is the best rate they offer on 24th

Just got the below "helpful" email from BG I'd imagine all providers will send similar. The first tranche has already landed in my account. Unlike the last time where SSE held off applying it to my account for 6 weeks and pocketed the difference in vat.

As you may know, the government has announced a scheme to credit all residential electricity customers with €600, in three €200 (including VAT) instalments, over the coming months.

Your €200 credits will be applied directly to your electricity account during the following three separate payment periods:

1. Between 1 November 2022 – 31 December 2022
    2. Between 1 January 2023 – 28 February 2023
    3. Between 1 March 2023 – 30 April 2023

We’ve applied the first instalment (€183.49 excluding VAT) for the first payment period to your account.

Please note that if you are no longer a Bord Gáis Energy customer at the time of the 2nd and/or 3rd payment periods above, your government credits will be applied by your new electricity supplier.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭masterboy123

I found this on electric Ireland.

• Advertisement

Did you have to ask for the cheque or did it issue automatically? Any idea how long it took?

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Qwerty27

Any direct number of EI loyalty team? Have been on hold ages, contacted them via messager last week and they said they would call me back but havent hard a word!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭amber2

01 9025245 EI @Qwerty27.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭phobia2011

Hi , recently had meter installed,am I right in saying avoid smart plans at all costs? I’m with energia, contract up end of month, what’s the best deal available on their 24hr rate? Was offered 10%, current contract 35%.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

I have just gone through this as EI account closed and government credit applied at same time. I had 200 credit on my closed account.

Rang EI last week and spent over an hour on hold. When I eventually got through to the outsourced customer service rep, they told me no refund was due as it wasn’t my money 🫤. I insisted that I be transferred to a supervisor or manager and she eventually did. The EI employed supervisor apologised and said she would action a transfer to my bank account.

Money in my bank this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭mel123

Can we keep this thread to deals on gas/electric providers and switching deals rather than the government €200 credit?

The Govt credit is very pertinent to switching - particularly at the moment as to what happens it when you switch after 27 October.

Rang EI there about the closed account in credit, 19 minutes total, and the credit is being EFTd to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Qwerty27

Thanks a lot for that number...less than 5 minutes on hold, 3 minute conversation and 18% discount applied to both accounts for another year! Nice one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Been offered the following to renew with energia, tried bonkers etc and can't seem to find a better rate. Anyone else got a better one?

• The discounted unit rate on electric is 0.4359
    • The discounted unit rate on the gas is 0.1333

• Advertisement

Agreed and I would suggest that unless people chase up the credit after switching it could be months before the previous provider goes about refunding it to customers also probably insisting on an EFT rather than cheque is the way to go.

Advertisement