Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭sonyvision

My EI rate with discount is.

ELETRIC .3721

Gas .1262.

Standing charge tends to be the highest but its the best rates I have been offered. Called EI to cancel my gas as SSE works out slightly better at .1293 which is 10% discount with the lower standing charge. EI couldn't give a donkey with me leaving and told me retention team wouldn't be calling me to offer a higher rate discount.

Anyway my usage is low

Eletric approx 2.4k units works out at 1,200 euro

Gas 5k units works out at 800 euro. 2,000 should have me covered with the 600 eletric credits brings my running bills to just over 100 euro a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭loki7777

I was able to get 18% off from BG over the chat - missed the call from retention's team but was told to wait for second call as i couldn't reach them at 3PM - line closed as "we are open only till 6PM":)

Will try again in the morning as extra 7% equals extra €150 off but even 18% is better then 10 or 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭amber2

Family member got 30% discount with BG today, said they had to think about it and rang back 15 minutes later to take the offer and was told that 25% was the offer now so said they would switch to EI and then it went back up to 30%. .33c per unit roughly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,624 ✭✭✭bren2001

Switched from EI to BG at the end of last month. Government credit was applied to EI account and was around 300+ in credit across both accounts. I have been waiting for it to land. I didn't realise I had to call and request the refund. Luckily got through in 10 minutes but it's mental I have to call, I am not a customer anymore.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭green123

You didn't have to ring.

It would have been processed in due course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

When I go onto bonkers.ie and say I am with energia on their standard dual fuel plan it seems there is basically no cheaper alternative, unless I sign up to two different providers for electricity/gas.

That anyone elses experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Escapees

I would not assume this at all. Mobile phone network providers have been known for holding onto unused credit in the past when customers terminated their contracts. Granted, some of these companies got fined afterwards when the regulator investigated years later, but... This is Ireland afterall...!

But it makes me wonder how much were they paying for electricity that they were able to get 30%.

I was able to get 25% from BG which still gives me extra €300 over www offer for new or existing customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭amber2

@loki7777 tariff was .48c rural 24hr with a discount of 40% bringing it to 28c per kWh and that contract is due to expire. All these percentage discounts is a smokescreen dunno why they just can’t offer their best rate for the rural or urban setting besides trying to call their bluff to try to actually get the best rate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,624 ✭✭✭bren2001

I was told by EI that I had to ring and that it wouldn't have been issued. It has been 16 days since my closing bill for electricity was issued and 24 days for Gas. Neither had been issued.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Sometimes due course needs a push especially when it comes to getting money refunded in a timely fashion. Even a credit card refund can take up to 10 working days crazy considering it is mostly an automated process. A colleague's elderly mother previously paid her EI bill twice in error when she approached them for a refund it was denied and told it was policy for over payments to be left on account and off set against future charges unless she wanted to close the account.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭ablelocks

that's interesting - i'm out of contract with energia but don't have an electric car. this would still beat any switch offers though wouldn't it?

Would i have to move to a smart tariff (i have smart meter but still on standard tarriff)

Likewise, they specifically told me that it would not have been paid back automatically.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Same here, wondering if I tried calling.BG sales if they can be talked into the 18/25/30 discount some have gotten here or if they are only retention offers

18% over the chat, 25% over the phone with retention's team, 30% couldn't get - didn't try harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭lotmc

Details from their website. You dont need to move to a smart tariff; its just a day / night tariff. Worth a call to them to clarify if you can avail of it. I wasnt asked if I have an electric car (as it happens I do) but I see that they say you need an electric car charger installed; maybe they can see that I got one fitted under the SEAI grant scheme a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Sarn

Unfortunately you need to have a day/night meter to get the non-smart meter plan offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭phobia2011

So the best energia offer is a 10% discount?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭donnacha

My previous 12 mth dual fuel discount has now ended with Bord Gais - best offer I could get this morning was 10% off both Gas & Electricity or 15% off for a Smart plan. I declined both. Talk in thread about a chat function for Bord Gais but I'm struggling to find it on the website - any link for this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 akozita

Same 10% discount offered for 24 months energia

There is no link. Bottom right you have live chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭joejoew

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KilOit

just me or is everything awful value right now? most electricity is 40cent kwh

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Yes 40c-50c is pretty normal now for all. The best rates I see are Energia's EV tariff. 44c day 15c night. Only available with non-smart meters (ie only available to MCC02)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭donnacha

I tried that chat function with Bord Gais this morning - still couldn't get anything above 10% so will hold out for now. You do get 5% off Gas and Elec with Bord Gais for just having paperless billing and direct debit set-up - I'll hold out for now to make any 12 mth commitment.

There’s no way I’ll ever sign up to an energy contract based on door to door sales. They’re too complicated to compare and it’s impossible without a comparison tool or sitting down and doing it manually.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭FLOOPER

What’s the consensus on smart meters.

ya or na.

it would seem a bit cheaper for us here as we only come in from work at around 10 pm M - F.

though only about 2 cent cheaper from day rate to peak rate (45 - 47 cent Energia)

thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Duit

Try to call the retentions team on 015 14 32 14. We got 25% off electricity for 12 months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,422 ✭✭✭con747

See if the EV rates are any use to you, the night rate is cheap. Some here and on the renewables forum got it without owning an EV. Not sure which meter you need. https://www.energia.ie/plans-and-switching-info/ev

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Advertisement