Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

That's what I was thinking. In effect only 4.5 (or 1.5 if dual fuel) to sign up for 12 months!

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Danny2580

Out of contract with Energia here since December, was on a 42% discount electricity only.

Still happy to let it roll for a while and see if better offers come up in February, although not expecting too much.

Regarding smart meter plans: I'd be reluctant to be honest. The poster above mentions a plan with free electricity on Saturdays 8am - 11am. To me that's a no-no, because there's an emotional cost to it. The stress (read: emotional cost) of missing out on it when you're away for a weekend, or had a late night on Friday, or just forgot about it... not worth the clawback IMHO although I'm sure others might be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭JJ O Malley

Hi Danny, I was thinking the same. Battling with kids and wife regarding use of power. Slave to the power company! Mixed messages to kids with conserving power all week and using all we can on a Saturday. Washing piling up all week.. etc etc. Still, it would work out cheaper even if the same amount of energy was used every day!

Worth remembering that its only 50E to get out of a contract so perhaps worthwhile just signing up to a plan now and see what happens?

The bigger concern for me is going to smart plan and being limited to the smart plan for the future with high peak time charges etc.. Hard to know what to do. I expect once we get an EV at some point in the future the smart plan will be the only way to go. Its disappointing that they don't have better incentives to go to a smart plan, i.e. significantly cheaper power during the off peak hours...

Cheers

JJ

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭McSween

I am on 8.5% dual discount for gas and electricity with EI. I am due ton ring them in coming days tk ask for loyalty of 200. Has anybody got this from then recently? I got it a year ago but worried theyll refer to 50 credit we recently received.

* i rang them. Theyre not giving out 100 credit to each account anymore. Initial sales ‘im in the mood for giving out great offers’ had me on high alert straight away. She said theyve given out 50 along with the government 200 credit. I said the government has credit has nothing to do with this. Best she offered me was 8,5% increased to 10%. I said im shopping around

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭bifl

Same a yourself out of contract with Energia (42 % discount) day/night electricity only since mid Jan. Did some ringing and shopping round last week.

Rang around and seems to be a 10% discount with main ones. After that have to sort though the usual day/night rate and differing standing charges. Used to just go though one of the switching websites which handled the different electric rates and standing charges in their calcs - these now only have a handful of the companies.

Really looking at the discount and none standing out. Might give it another week or two and see. Otherwise might go for it and maybe use the €50 early exit if things change significantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭theintern

In case it's useful for others. Similar situation here. Out of contract with the Energia 42% discount, electricity only. For my usage EI were the best deal on the surface of it.

Energia and EI offer on top of their discount was pretty poor, and couldn't go above the standard discount they were giving.

Energia did try and sweeten the deal with a Google Nest Hub and a 50 euro credit, but I told EI that and EI gave a 100 credit on the account. The 100 credit offsets the more expensive standing charge of EI and their unit rates are cheaper than Energia so went with EI.

Not a great deal to be honest, but I was out of contract so didn't want to go too long without signing up with someone. Hopefully better deals start to trickle in soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭crisco10

All depends on mileage driven, but average EV would consume about 17kwh/100km. Assuming you need about 500kWh night rate (a large assumption!) for the house in 2 months, that leaves 1500kWh to charge the car which is about 8000km driven every 2 months. (i.e. annual mileage of about 50k km).

So in short, would need another heavy electricity user (e.g. heat pump) on top of car, or being doing a lot of miles for the 2000KWh to become an issue. You also (I think) only pay the premium rate on units consumed over that. The 1st 2000kWh come at the lower rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭pissed

Lucky you, I chanced my arm with EI saying I was offered the Google Nest Hub and a 50 euro credit but they didn't bite. Said their rate was still cheaper than Energia's. Did you get that deal by webchat or phone?

I calculated on my 2022 usage and with todays rates/discounts EI are coming in cheaper by €100 also gets rid of that level pay from Energia.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭raclle

Got a letter in the door from the ESB during the week saying they'll be replacing the old meters with smart meters. I hope this doesn't end up leading to getting everyone on smart plans in the future. Also with the prices after dropping when will we see a refection on our bills?

• Advertisement

Has anyone got a link to this please? I'm rather curious how they're going to go about it.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,624 ✭✭✭bren2001

That is the plan. Having a smart meter installed is a major upgrade for the ESB. It allows them much greater insights into the electricity profile.

Smart pricing also makes sense. People should pay more during peak hours. It all makes sense.

Of course, consumers should go with whatever is best for their pocket. I would fear anyone who refuses to have a smart meter installed will lose out. There will reach a point where the 24hr or day time rate will be the same as the peak time smart meter rate. But as you refused, you will be at the back of the queue to have it installed (or have to pay for it). That is the stick they will use at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭BobMc

Looking for some advice, few deals around so signed up with switcher to remain with EI and get 10% discount, which it seems is only +1.5% more above the standard they offer, whats caught my eye though is it appears its called HomeDual+ ( a smart meter plan) my reading is that once a smart meter plan is accepted you are stuck on it, current bill has code MCC12 is that old standard billing code, unsure what to do at this stage (have had smart meter a while now) last deal i was on was duel fuel 26%

Any advice, ha

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭zell12

All electricity customers will receive a payment of €89.10 in monthly installments of €12.73 from March to September, as a credit on their bills. Pre-paid customers will have their daily standing charge reduced. https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2023/0209/1355695-cru-on-electricity-subsidy/

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

MCC12 is a smart meter code, unfortunately youre stuck

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭This is it

I'm with EI and got a 30% when renewing in October. I'll likely be moving to a new house in April/May. I wonder if I'll be able to keep that and sign up separately for gas... :/ Don't want to lose that 30%

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gadge

Hi guys, I'm with EI and my contract is up. I don't have a smart meter and am on a standard rural rate. There's always someone at home so usage is quite high, what would be my best option here? Any advice is welcome. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭amber2

Ring EI retention team on 01 9025245 should give you a % discount. Was 26% last November but decreased to 18%, see what they offer u now.

Put your details into Bonkers and it will tell you the best deal. Its that simple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭aidz

Just discovered i am out of contract with energia (Was on the 41% reduction).

As normal, went on bonkers to find out what alternative products were available. They only showed 3 company quotes, prepay power (x2) and pinergia!!

strange they are not quoting the major suppliers.

electric only

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭raxy

You need to select no for only show plans available to sign up & it will show the others. I assumed that only hid expired plans. Not sure why you can't sign up through bonkers anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,057 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

they will all be higher now aswell :(

im off the same deal next month

According to this news article energy companies are buying gas up to 18 months in advance which means even though energy prices are falling this won't reflect on our bills until maybe next year. Whilst these companies continue to make huge profits, we'll have to rely on handouts depending on the size of those profits. The government electricity credit is most helpful but its offset by the price of gas. If indeed we don't see a reduction I'd like to see a similar gas credit applied in the next budget. Why should we have to cover the cost of energy companies buying in advance at current prices with their huge profits.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Duel fuel plan is expiring in 2 weeks, was on the 33% plan thankfully. Gas meter reading is about to get a big number submitted, just a shame the smart meter won't allow the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Quit drinking the Kool Aid. Why "should" people pay more during peak hours? Yeah I know the usual reasons blah blah blah but the simple fact is that most people use electricity at peak hours simply because they have no other choice. The smart meter peak hour gouging scam is simply a direct rip off and extortion of working families.

Because it costs more to produce during those hours. Quite a simple reason to charge more.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Yip, that was the "blah blah blah" I mentioned.

So it makes sense to charge more for it. It also makes sense for Ireland to meet it's climate goals. The problem is contained almost entirely in the peak hours. There are other optimisation things that needs to be done and a change in infrastructure but it's all to address the peak usage period.

Im on a 24 hour plan because the smart plans are more expensive for me (and most). I'll switch when it's cheaper to be on a smart plan

I don't really get your point. If you ignore the "blah blah blah" i.e. the logical reasons, then yeah, of course it's BS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Can you please explain why/how it costs more to produce during peak hours. Surely it is a lack of capacity & the higher price is to discourage use during the peak period.

Advertisement