Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭teachinggal123

I’m currently with BG and we have free electricity on Saturdays which we use to charge a lot of things, dishwasher, a few full washing machine loads etc.

Our contract is up next month and BG have told us if we renew we will still get free Saturdays but the unit cost will increase by 25-30%. Our current monthly bill has gone from 90 to 110/month.

i know this is a tricky one but Bonkers showing we’d save a €500 by switching to Aertricity. But I’m not sure if this includes the electricity we have free on Saturday.

So not sure if switching is worth it … any advice appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

500 a year is about 10 a week, you'd have to be using a lot of electricity on a saturday to cover that difference. SSE are about 25c day rate, you could use 40kwh on a saturday.

Just as an idea a dishwasher uses about 1khw (depends, but something like that) A washing machine uses about 1kwh if full on a 60C wash, on a 30C wash it uses less than 0.5khw (again depends on the model and age). Tumble dryers could be 1-2kwh for a full washing machine load.

Those weekend free days look nice but unless you have really specific usage needs there are better options, you deffo want to switch if you arent getting the discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭teachinggal123

Thank you for that excellent answer @eeepaulo much appreciated.

My contract is up on 11 June … can I change via Bonkers now?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,545 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It would not be advisable to start a switch this early. It takes a few days, but not a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

I personally wouldn't. There's a chance the prices might go up in the mean time, not likely as there was a rise recently but still they are going up in a few months time again.

I been switching for years, i would just look up the best price (using your kwh usage for the year on switcher.ie and bonkers.ie, ticking the unavailable to switch to today and cashback tick boxes) 2 days before you are out of contract and switch then.

Towards the end of last year people were reporting it was taking up to 2 weeks, i assume covid, it used to take under a week to switch.

People have reported that it went through too early if you put in a date, then you have to chase a refund from your previous supplier for breaking contract (which they do tend to pay, but life's too short to be bothered talking to them) just make sure you switch every year just before the contract is up and you save 100's, put up with a week where you might be overpaying by €5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I know there are variables from house to house but what would be regarded as average bill for 3 adults, 3 bed house, no electric vehicles, no electric heating. Just usual cooker, lights,tvs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the free leccy on Saturdays or Sundays sounds attractive, but really who wants to tie themselves to the washing machine for a whole weekend day.

do you have past bills - figure it out from them, just make sure they're based on actual meter readings and not estimates. You need to look at the units (or kWh) used rather than the € cost to get a proper comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭gazzaman22

How do you get free use on Saturdays?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

stick that figure into Bonkers.ie and see which provider is cheapest.

some of the electricity providers are offering time-of-day or day-of-week tariffs if you have a smart meter. IMO none of those plans are good value unless you have the ability to shift your usage around by e.g. doing all your washing/drying in the middle of the night (not a great idea from a fire safety perspective) or on a particular day (which is fine if you have no other commitments, hobbies, life).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Gooser14

I'm currently getting 36% discount with BGE. As I'm out of contract with them on 28 May I gave them a call this morning to see what they would offer me if I remained with them. They offered me the same 36% discount even though their best offer online is currently 39%. They wouldn't budge on the 36% offer. Looks like I'll be moving to the EI 26% discount which will work out the cheapest for me, even cheaper than the BGE 39% discount offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Also take a look at Energia direct on their website, their discount is 41% on the unit rates and the standing charge is 236 a year. Might be a saving for you depending on how many units you use per year

I'm a rural user with a day/night meter & the standing charge is therefore substantially higher than than that for an urban user.

Based on my consumption figures the following are the best to worst suppliers for me:

1. Electric Ireland 26% discount

2. SSE 33% discount

3. BGE 39% discount

4. Energia 41% discount

5. Flow Gas 40% discount & €200 cashback

6. Iberdrola 30%

There is less than €30 p.a. difference on the discounted costs between 1 & 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

Bord Gais if you can get a referral thats a €50 One4All voucher each for you and the referrer which might help tip the balance there

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭bugsyb4

Could say a husband refer a wife and have different emails and both get €50, although I suppose one would have to cancel account so probably not!

We signed up as new customers with different email addresses this year but are up for renewal in Aug, so every bit will help with deciding who to go with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

I have to issue a correction on the above, sorry. While you can get a referral bonus, it's only if you sign up to their crappy 15% discount rate, rather than th39%/40% electric/gas discount on the site. So not worth the referral at all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Maybe threaten to cancel within the 14 day cooling off period unless they switch you to the better tariff. Unless you ask....

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭breeno

What's the optimal time to carryout the switch over? I signed up to BG 40/31 deal on 7th July last year. When should I actually pull the trigger on moving to the new provider?

I always initiate the switch the day after I'm out of contract with my current supplier.

I call my current supplier two days before what I believe to be my end of contract date to confirm my end of contract date & to find out what they are offering me to stay with them. To date I have never received an offer which betters swtching.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,703 ✭✭✭✭zell12

I did find a tariff with no contract, just double normal rates https://www.flogas.ie/residential/price-plans/electricity-standard.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

And they're gone...

Iberdrola to exit Irish gas and electricity market (rte.ie)

I assume anyone contracted to them is free to look elsewhere and not bound to stay with BG or EI?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Electric Ireland have a 30% (up from 26%) Electricity discount from today 1st June.

I initiated a switch to Electric Ireland on 28 May at 26% discount. I called them this morning & they agreed to apply the 30% discount. If they hadn't agreed I would have cancelled the switch under the 14 day cooling off period & start the switch again to avail of the new 30% discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

What's the problem with Energia? I just switched from Engergia to Electric Ireland.

By my calculations Energia would be almost €111 dearer than EI (based on their new 36% discount) for the year on my consumption figures.

Correction 30% not 36%.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭bromley52

Energia had a retention offer last March through Bonkers that more or less matched their switching offer. 40% off electricity, 39% off gas plus €225 cashback.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

Must admit the pricing models are quite confusing. I think because I was already with Electric Ireland it wasn't obvious. Can't be bothered backing out of the 14 day thing though so will go with it for this year I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭absolutegroove

I've checked all the deals as I'm just out of contract.

I was with FloGas and decided to stay with them as I'm a low user of gas and electricity and the €440.00 bonus (€220.00 per account) will offset some of the cost.

Unit Rates are higher but the standing charges are lower than all the other suppliers. As I said being a low unit user of both of them it should work out ok!

Although I fear more price hikes are possible in the future...............................

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Folks looking to move from EI to new provider .They offered me 14% discount. I was on a cheap 96 standing charge offer. BG is 39% discount so works out same as EI. Tilted towards flo gas with 220 credit but their rates are very high. Any one know if they are listed without discount ?

Advertisement