Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Elzbellz

Hi, we are with electric ireland and are thinking of switching to Prepay Power. Do you know if the offer good rates? They are offering free credit to switch.just wondering if anyone else finds them good to go with.any infor is greatly appreciated have a lovely day!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭donaghs

Why dont you compare their rates?

Dual Fuel - Prepaid Gas and Electricity | PrepayPower Ireland

Switch to our best electricity and gas price plan | Electric Ireland

What type of meter do you have? Do you want electricity AND gas? You need to know this in advance to make any kind of serious decision.

What type of meter/plan do you have? If its 24 hour, does this compare to the rates you're seeing?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭ablelocks

with BWG offer, the fixed price is 30c per kwh for electricity only (special rate compared to normal fixed of 38c)

I'm currently paying 48.5c with Energia

standing charge is 275 with Energia but 380 with Flogas (0.75 v 1.04 per day)

going on last bill, Flogas would have been €130 approx cheaper than Engergia (1008 kwh units used)

I think it is worth switching now at the 30c rate - but is there anything i haven't considered?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭loki7777

I use 4600kwh per year, currently with BG on 25% since October. It would give me ~€270 - 22 (standing charge diff) - 50 exit fee. So now it would be still €100 savings vs rest of the contract with BG unless they will lower the price of unit by 19%.

• Advertisement

I'm just researching this now. Seems to be a pain. Electric Ireland seem to offer different smart meter tarrifs, but all the competitors only seem to offer day-peak-day-offpeak tarrifs. e.g. day 8am-5pm, 7pm-11pm, peak 5pm-7pm, night 11pm-8am. or variations on that.

So unless you are charging a car overnight, most people will be financially worse off?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭faolteam

Just on the phone with energia new contract electricity 43 cent a kw , Gas 13 cent a kw,

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭TheBigEvil

Jesus, so they haven't dropped much from what I'm paying (I posted that up above)... I think I've a couple more months in contract on Electricity and have just come out of contract on Gas. Big thing Energia have over the others, is that they are cheaper on the standing charges, so could be worth moving on the BWG offer if it can be got.

Energia just rang me im on 24 hour standard and they say that if i go n smart meter its 45.76 electricty between 8am-11pm and the Night rate is 11pm - 8am 24.5 electricty ,

• Advertisement

I don’t see how these “smart” tariffs can suit most people?

the growth in electric car usage might justify it with overnight charging.

are people expected not to cook or boil a kettle at dinner time? I.e. “peak hours”

mines up tonight have to sweat this one out lol

ps : she said to me today i should do the 24 hour reconfig to see if a smart meter tariff would be beneficial while still staying on the standard rate

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I'm in a new build, electric only. On a 24hr meter but looking at the rates there's not much between a Smart meter and a 24hr meter based on my usage I got from the meter reading.

Would that be considered normal or have I done math wrong somewhere?

Yearly Usage

T1 1961 night

T2 2815 day

T3 511 peak

Total 5287

Seemss Flogas Smart is about 100 annually cheaper than Standard. Would have thought it would be a higher saving

• Registered Users Posts: 10,116 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Most smart meter rates are more expensive than standard for a lot of people.

im begiining to think might be best to stay with Energia on the 24 hour standard nothing really biting out there all seem similar

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭bootser

Just paid my second bill to Energia @ 48cent per unit😕, so having seen the offer from Flogas here I have just signed up! Was planning on signing up with Flogas at 38cent so at 30cent its a no brainer(im using about 5500KwH per year so standing charge will be absorbed by the usage). Hopefully I'll get a confirmation email soon🤞

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭bromley52

Do Energia transfer any remaining government energy credit to a new supplier?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,797 ✭✭✭DopeTech

I switched from energia and the €200 credit was still on my account so I called and they transferred it to my bank account

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

all the companies will send you the remaining balance either by cheque or straight to your bank but you will need to contact them after your final bill to instigate the refund

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Galego

Has anyone heard back from Flogas since signing for any of those "offers"?

I signed up two days ago and heard nothing yet. :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,797 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Took 11 days to receive my welcome email but no issues at all. Process went smoothly switching from energia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Galego

Does the welcome email show the tarrifs for the contract you are signing on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭Buffman

Has anyone seen an end date mentioned anywhere for the Flogas offer? I can't see it anywhere. Someone in the price thread over in the EV car section said it ends today 21st. I've a very short period left on my current contract and was just wondering before I take the €50 hit.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

I don't think any of them will be able to transfer credit balances to another supplier, but they will all send it back to your bank account or send you a cheque, but it's not unusual to have to chase it up with some utility companies. Just make sure to keep an eye out for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭stoves1

Time for me to act i use 4000kwh per yr electricity per yr and a small amount of piped gas ( gas hob only). presently with energia -41% for electricity up since march 2023, i am with flogas for the gas up since yesterday, i have a smart meter for electrics, i would appreciate if the link for the best flogas offer for electrics is posted again pls, and looks like my best switching offer for gas is to Energia, many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Dinarius

I'm with BGE for gas. They just offered me -15% on gas unit rate for 12 months. New price would be 0.114 + VAT.

Standing charge would remain at €155.

15% off my gas bill would be a lot. But, it would tie me into 12 months.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,924 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

surely you'd be better off ditching the gas altogether if you're only using it for cooking. The extra cost of using an induction hob would be more than cancelled out by the removal of the gas standing charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Just switched to Flogas Duel Fuel from Bord Gais (Gas) and Electric Ireland (Elec.).

For comparison....all prices ex VAT

Gas

BG

Unit Rate - 0.134c

Standing Charge - €155.00

Flogas (Gas)

Unit Rate - 0.1037

Standing Charge - €218.38

Electricity.

Electric Ireland

Unit Rate - 0.3970c

Standing Charge - €278.00

Flogas

Unit Rate - 0.3457

Standing Charge - €275.65

Standing charges are higher with Flogas, but I reckon that since we cook with gas, our overall usage will still provide a saving.

Question: if you pay €50 to exit a contract early, do you pay the full annual standing charge, or pro-rata? Thanks.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Question: if you pay €50 to exit a contract early, do you pay the full annual standing charge, or pro-rata? Thanks.

It is calculated on a daily basis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭ablelocks

Advertisement