Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,116 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Not everyone can adjust their habits to a smart meter. It's fine for someone in a detached house to run a washing machine at 3am. Not so fine for someone in an apartment or terraced house or some configurations of semi detached houses for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

who is running washing machines at 3am thats is just madness, end up waking people up and having smelly washing

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭raxy

What difference does the type of house have for smart meter rates? Maybe people (like me) with kids & Work & who have to cook at peak times. Even still there isn't a huge difference anymore. Check the units you used at each rate & work it out for yourself. When I switched Flogas smart rate would be the cheapest plan followed by their standard rate. After that 2 smart plans were 3rd & 4th for my usage. Thats going by my usage since the smart meter was installed about a year ago, no trying to adjust my usage.

I still chose a standard rate but not flogas, Would take a lot to get me to move back to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,116 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

People trying to take advantage of night rate electricity rates. A friend is being woken up at 4am every night by their neighbour running their washing machine.

People running high usage appliances at night is not compatible with high density living.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,117 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Its not not those people either. Many people need things done when they have the time to them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Be it apartment or detached house, the fact is the range of off peak times is too narrow. 11PM is too late for it to kick in, as it's really not practical to have items running into the small hours. As it is I try and do the dishwasher and dryer at 11PM, but won't leave them on for long when the time to get to bed kicks in. Make it 9PM and you'd see people change their habits to what the green agenda actually want in terms of off peak usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭faolteam

If you have a 14 day cooling down period bit hard if u dont know what price plan ur getting till the last day of the cool down ?

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭raxy

If you say so. I've lived In a few apartment blocks, high usage appliances are not a problem, maybe the odd late night party. Your friend must live in a crap apartment.

Appliances should not be ran during the night though, it's a fire hazard but the powers that be have selective hearing so neglect that point when making policy.

My dishwasher nearly got fire before, it wasn't even turned on at the time. Who knows what would have happened if it happened during the night. The repair guy said don't worry, they're designed not to cause a fire! The melted fuse board he replaced would probably disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Selective hearing is right the drive to get people installing heat pumps is the current get everyone driving a diesel car crusade of the '00. Sometimes appliances go on fire is a fact of life particularly older ones. The likes of landlords usually aren't in a rush to change older appliances if they are still working. My other half came home from B&Q one Xmas with a couple of timer switches that cost under €2 a piece. I wasn't too popular when I poo pooed her idea to use them with fairy lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭beachhead

That is an agency number as far as I am aware.Be careful what you say on the call or you could find yourself on a deal that benefits the agent's employer or is not the best BG deal.Company based in Ballycoolin,Dublin 18% and 18% is the best BG deal I've heard of

• Advertisement

Your GPRN could be linked to electricity as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭con747

When I rang it last year it was B/G retention team who answered and if you search the number online it is listed as B/G retention team. Where did you see it listed as an agency number?

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,623 ✭✭✭bren2001

I did not pass comment on that. I was simply responding that they shouldnt be cheaper because there's no meter reader. It's to do with usage.

While i agree with smart meters and time of use tariffs, i have a 24hr rate because it's cheaper for me.

An internet search and BG customer service apologised after I contacted the Energy Regulator.BG initially ignored my calls and emails to cancel the so called contract,they only responded when I contacted the E.R.The agency signed me up to a deal I did not want.I expressedly told the agent I was making enquiries only about any offers BG had.I learned that I was signed up when an email arrived.Maybe BG have since taken the retention team in-house

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Got confirmation of my order in the post today and a SEPA confirmation so all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

Great news for you. When did you place your order?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭bootser

Great stuff! when did you apply initially? I applyed a week ago last Friday and nothing but the email and a retention-call from Energia so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭bromley52

I got the letter as well and I applied on the 19Apr.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭kil

looks like something happening for me too.

My current supplier Energia is showing as level pay direct debit amount = €0.00 and I received an email from flogas about Solar PV and EV Chargers. No account number of anything yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Dinarius

As I wrote above, I cancelled my first application to Flogas and reapplied for the BWG offer.

I received an email this morning saying that they had cancelled the gas part of the application "in error" and that I could reapply in 20 days. They said that the electricity part has been successful.

I wrote back saying that the "error" was not my fault. I am awaiting a reply.

In addition, I received a letter this morning confirming my bank details. It contains no mention of the deal I signed up to, or the rates being charged.

Underwhelmed. I hope the rest of you get better service.

D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Galego

Same here. I got the email about Solar PV and EV Chargers. I also got a call from my current supplier saying they had received a request of switch and that trying to retain me as customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭faolteam

See thats my query if you get confirmation after the 14 days and its the wrong rate are u snookered?

Anyone got a screen shot of the BWG Rate thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Galego

it'd be great craic if we all got stuck in a high rate for 1 year! Haha..

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

I applied for Electricity Only with BWG rate through floglas on 26th of april. Have only received the following email and one about solar so far.

I did get a call from Energia today which I didn't answer. I assume it was to try and keep me but I know they won't match the rate. Just hopeful this new deal goes through.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your application to switch your energy supply to Flogas. You will receive a welcome pack in the next 14 working days. By clicking this link you can open General Terms and Conditions for the Supply of Energy which you have agreed to during sign up.

Should you change your mind, you can cancel the switch within 14 days of agreeing to the contract by contacting cancellations@flogas.ie or by completing and returning the cancellation form.

There will be no interruption to your supply and you do not need to contact your previous supplier to cancel your account, as this will be done for you. Your previous supplier will issue you a final bill/credit if owed.

If you have any queries on your application, please feel free to contact us at hello@flogas.ie or our Customer Care Team on 041 2149500

Kind regards,

Flogas Customer Care Team

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Spn744

@TCP/IP

I signed up for electricity only but seem to have screenshots of the dual fuel as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Spn744

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

Do you have the electricity only ones for non smart meters? TY!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭bootser

Thats the screen shot I took when I signed up 27th of April. I had been about to switch to their "normal" discounted rate anyway but I definitely be pushing to get this offer!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sarah88

I'm in the same boat here, signed up to the BWG electricity only deal on the 19th April. I've received the initial email and the solar email, but nothing else.

I had a phone call from my old supplier energia last week. Hopefully we will get our welcome pack this week.

Advertisement