Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Unlike the old day/night meter I assume the new smart meters factor in the clock changes in summer time?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Not alone that but - IIRC - it's only a few short years since Ireland was actually one of the cheapest countries in Europe for electricity. But of course our regulator wanted to raise prices because it would create 'competition'. Some competition.....

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭bromley52

The government wants to reduce our carbon footprint and high prices is one way of getting people to use less and look at alternative technologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Carbon footprint is all nonsense

raise electric prices but planes are flying 24/7 lol it’s all about control but that’s for another thread

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭daheff

old school investigative journalism is dead. click baity articles are all we get any more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,118 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Valid point no argument. But you have to start somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Great if there were offsetting reductions in the expensive standing charges. No amount of cutting usage will offset 40+% increases in the standing charges as was the case last winter. You're fleeced no matter what you do here unless you go off grid altogether which isn't practical for most urban dwellers.

Start what where, charging more for electric isn’t doing feck all to reduce the temperature of the planet it’s an excuse to make more money and we are being sold a dummy to have everyone in electric cars that can be limited in range or turned off at the flick of a switch

the main steam media is just a voice to get into our heads to feed us lies

• Registered Users Posts: 12,118 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Again no argument. Its being hijacked by sharp practice.

Its does in roundabout way make people aware of energy usage. A growing number of informed consumer might put pressure on the suppliers and regulators and Govt. Wishful thinking maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭LBF21

Electric Ireland 26% discount end over the weekend. They are only offering 5% and 100 euro cash back to re-sign for another year. Quick look at bonkers and think probably best of staying with them...unless I am missing something. On a day night metre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Yes, I am staying with Electric Ireland for now. 8.5% discount, and €150 cash back.

They have asked me if I want to activate the smart features of the meter. Is there any drawback to this....they say I don't have to go on Smart Plan now or in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭ECookie13

Electric Ireland seems to be the best standard flat rate for smart meters going currently, right?

Check the standing charge, when I was looking a while ago this made a big difference to total cost

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭The Gardener

I agreed to this a couple of years ago after getting my smart meter installed, stayed on the 24 hr plan but had access to my usage data. It was only when I changed supplier last year that I realised that I could only sign up for a smart plan as a result of agreeing to receive smart data from Electric Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Thanks, that's what I was afraid of alright.

I won't activate it so

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Powertoswitch.ie is the only comparison site listing the Energia e-car tariff, unclear why

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭epopnomis

Waterpower don't offer microgeneration rates, so thats them out for me... Energia only offering 10% on Electricity so 43.6cent per unit. Seems crazy high, just coming off a 41% discount with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭jaffa20

I used bonkers to compare switching from energia and flogas. The only offer available with savings for me was prepay power...crazy!!

There is a setting you can change on bonkers so all the prices come up

they don’t come up on the regular search because you can’t switch with bonkers at the moment for most providers

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭LBF21

27% price increase for me with Electric Ireland as I got a great discount this time last year when I moved. I was actually wondering why my electricity bills were not that bad. FFS

• Advertisement

@jaffa20 this is where you select no to find all the rates
    Your Results

Only show tariffs available for sign up?

What's this?

Yes

No

Post edited by OmegaGene on

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭MikeCairo78

Do include the cashback - it will note what "gifts are available" - cash back / one4all card etc

Say no for tariffs available for sign up, as this will give all tariffs and not just those available to switch on the site

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

SSE have 15% off the unit rate - I didn't see that the other week I checked.

Their 10% rate and €100 cash back is only worth it if you use 4000 units a year or less. I'm saving about €60 taking the 15% with no cashback over the 10% with cashback.

Energia can only do 10% and won't move. First time they've ever not been able to put me on hold and 'pretend to get a better rate' by talking to a supervisor, before giving me a better rate. No haggling anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Thanks all. SSE Airtricity dual fuel it is so.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

I was with energia dual fuel, decided to go to airtricity 15% off with smart metering and had agreed that with airtricity. But I was inside 10 day cool off period. Then energia rang a day later (obviously saw the change request processing) and told me they'd match 15% with smart meter rates. They have different standard rates so some were a bit cheaper some a bit dearer, nightime rate notably cheaper at energia though, but overall made it worthwhile not to go to the hassle of changing. I rang Airtricity to say I was cancelling inside the 10 day period then they offered me an extra 100 off, supposedly 50 per fuel. I didn't take them up on it, sick of the messing at that stage. Just shows it's out there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,924 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

it's been available for some time, I signed up to it in March.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 chimpdoctor

Why go with them instead of Flogas? Is it because the standing charge is more expensive with Flogas?

Flogas prices: ELec: 37.99 Gas: 11.13

Standing charges: Elec: 302.92 Gas: 239.98

Airtricity Prices:ELec: 41.01 Gas: 12.21

Standing charges: Elec: 240.97 Gas: 152.31

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

More probable is that I didn't see it before because I was using Bonkers and playing about with listing certain suppliers..

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭epopnomis

Airtricity look the best for me, 24c per unit for microgeneration as well which is pretty good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭sonyvision

Flogas is a fixed rate for 12 months. I wouldn't sign up to that rate as I would expect on a few months rates will reduce. Only reason I swapped to flogas was the better BWG rate which is not available now. Remember its normally 50 per fuel to break the contract. If you take a cash back offer they will claw this back if you leave within a year just remember that.

Advertisement