Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Anyone know if on bonkers you can somewhere include of you have solar panels and are selling back to the grid, can't see it anywhere and thought with the growth of panels it should be included when you load all your usage data in to see what the best deal is?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Was in same boat. Got onto Electric Ireland via chat. Told them what I was doing, they cancelled contract and took back the €150, and I changed over online

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

For current Flogas customers (or recently out of contract), is there much involved in switching to the Aryzta flogas offer? Is it a case of getting on to customer service?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭con747

The suppliers can barely get it right, so not much chance of comparison sites doing any better for a good while.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,623 ✭✭✭bren2001

Anyone who is not close to the end of their contract considering the FloGas deal?

I am not out till October but it would be nice to lock in the prices for winter or am I crazy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Not crazy at all. You will almost certainly cover the exit fee via lower ongoing costs. Plus the Flogas Aryzta offer will probably disappear at some stage, so one needs to act fast off they want the offer. Or switch electricity to the Waterpower Variable tariff and gas to the Flogas Aryzta gas only offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭tx_tx

That depends on what's your contract currently, I guess.

I'm on the One Big Switch / BGE deal until October. That's a 33% discount, so my units are roughly the same price as with the Flogas deal. Between now and October, I have nothing to win switching to Flogas.

From October, I'm hoping that I can get a better deal, actually. That would mean better than 33% below the current rates. I think the rates will go down, as they follow the wholesales prices which went down a lot. The time lag from wholesale to consumer prices is uncertain, so maybe not down by 33% by this winter, but then again I hope I can get a new customer discount on top by switching or renewing.

It's all assumptions, but mine are that the Flogas deal won't be that hard to beat, come October. Keep in mind it's a fixed rate with Flogas, while if you get a similar rate in October, say a unit price that went down 20% and then a 15% discount, you'll also benefit from unit prices going further down in the following year.

If I was to switch today, I would go with Waterpower. One because you're not paying yesteryear's higher wholesale prices like with the other providers, so it makes a lot of sense in that period of prices coming down, two because it's a variable rate, and wholesale prices are still historically high and can go down further, and three because there's no exit fee, so if wholesale prices go up you can easily switch. I'm keeping an eye on them, as I think I'll do that in October (little to gain doing it today, considering my already decent deal and the exit fee).

Post edited by tx_tx on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,623 ✭✭✭bren2001

I'm in the same boat as yourself. I have the OBS offer until October. Personally, i can't see the rates coming down this side of Christmas and i can see discounts drying up at renewal time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Anyone know if its possible to sign up to that flowgas offer but give old meter reading and correct it later? Im away from the house for a few days so cant get the latest reading for gas/electricity

EDIT Feck it, took average from last year and just added it to last meter reading

Post edited by lmimmfn on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,050 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I took the deal I was only a few months into my deal with bord gais, they didn't charge me the 50 either which was decent.

• Advertisement

So you pay on a month by month basis, have you got a smart meter or do you provide readings manually? It sounds a good system. Say I signed up today, would I get a bill in July for units used from the 3/6 to the 30/6 @ the rate I was told in June, followed by July etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭crazyhorse

I have a smart meter. I don't think I will have to submit a reading monthly but have not asked about it. I have been told that the June rate is only finalised at the beginning of July - so not ideal. However, if a significant increase is expected from one month to the next, this will be communicated to customer in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭sue97

can i sell back to the grid on this. I have a smart meter but not activated.

It would be easier to make comparisons if you used unit prices instead of percentage discount as we don't know what the top price is you're getting the discount from.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Communitypower.ie are reducing their rates (slightly) from 01/07

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭LBF21

thanks appreciate it, I signed up for that Flogas deal online and will contact Electric Ireland after the bank holiday.

Anyone know if you can pay bi-monthly with Flogas?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭beachhead

I called BGE 3 times when my contract was close to renewal.Accepted 18% and 18% which was their last offer.Different sales people were offering different discounts with no reference to my previous calls.

Jeez I'd hate to see the rates before the "reduction"

How much are you paying per unit? They offered me 18% too, 39.5c per unit on 24hr electricity, I've since moved to Flogas.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭tandcapply

I'd also like to know, getting solar panels installed this week and plan on selling back to the grid.

I'm currently with EI, out of contract since March so 8.5% discount on electricity and whatever on gas

Post edited by tandcapply on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭spupazza

Hi, I'm looking to switch electricity provider as I'll be out of contract on the 16 th of June. I'm considering switching to Waterpower, but I can't find any customer reviews online. Does anyone have any feedback? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

i took the flogas fixed price offer..waterpower is another option

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

Have any existing Flogas customers changed over to the Flogas Aryzta offer? Any tips on the best way of going about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,987 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Just sign and see what happens, that's what I'm doing, don't think it's only for new customers.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Fishdoodle

Been a while since I was on this thread, Great that there are some new offers available,

Anyone have an idea what the unit price with Waterpower is for May / June ? I see from previous poster that it was .2428 c cpKwH (ex vat for April) .

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Fishdoodle

The Flogas and Waterpower offers are interesting:

Some further Offers out there -not amazing though, hopefully there'll be better offers in the months ahead:

Bord Gais Energy: Smart Plan - Dual Fual - 15% Discount off unit rates https://www.bordgaisenergy.ie/campaigns-info/moneyjar-new ...applicable to new/existing customers.

Bord Gais: IFA Member discount (for the farmers out there) 20% discount electricity, 18 Month contract, plus €150 cashback.

https://ifamemberservices.ie/power/

Post edited by Fishdoodle on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Can I remove myself from this thread without removing myself from other threads I'm following?

Sorry for the off-topic question, but I cannot be the only one who'd like to do this.

An earlier iteration of Boards.ie had the (screamingly) obvious option of being able to select only one email alert until you next visited the thread. Why this was done away with is beyond me.

Again, apologies, but 99% of what's being posted here is noise, and it's jamming my inbox.

Thanks.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,118 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Click to de-highlight the star at the top of the page/thread.

You could also have rule in your email so it never goes in your inbox but another folder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭bromley52

Does unselecting the blue tag next to the link do anything?

Advertisement