Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,422 ✭✭✭con747

It's open to anyone going by peoples posts who signed up. They stop the deals after a couple of weeks going by past offers then offer them again, but who knows if they will keep doing that.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I'm in the process of signing up, still waiting on approval.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭ablelocks

open to correction, and maybe it's just a perception, but

when wholesale prices go up, consumer prices go up pretty much immediately

when wholesale prices go down, consumer prices go down 12 - 18 months later

• Registered Users Posts: 6,624 ✭✭✭bren2001

There's a massive delay between wholesale prices increasing and rates increasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭tx_tx

It's perception, mostly because if you think of the recent cycle of increases, wholesale prices going up won't get any attention from the media until this gets passed on to consumers.

You'll find many articles asking why are bills still high when wholesale prices went down so much?, but not a single article back then asking why are bills still so low when wholesale prices increased 500%?

Take a look: wholesale prices started to increase in summer '20 and pretty much peaked in winter '21, consumer prices (excluding outliers) increased from summer '21 until summer '22.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/2022/09/07/energia-announces-hike-in-electricity-prices-by-29-from-next-month/

Post edited by tx_tx on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭whiteley91

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭A P

Here you go: https://www.flogas.ie/exclusive-elec-06-23.html

• Registered Users Posts: 12,118 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I think people were asking because everyone hates bill shock. So cheap prices mean a rise at some point.

It's hard to find online articles on anything in the past these days because the Google search and similar saturate all results with recent click bait and anything that drives ad revenue. Articles I know were there on all different topics no longer appear. It's become a real chore fact checking anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭zell12

This Waterpower variable tariff post should be stickied

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

waterpower website could do with some improving, that being said the numbers look tempting

i signed with energy again in april on the SST and water power looks cheaper, time to get the pencil and paper out i think just to be sure

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭BobMc

BWG back again, last time it was up I missed out, sure this has been asked but cant find it, have smart meter but I'm being billed 24hr unit rates so can I get the BWG deal or will it be smart plan only ? currently with EI, .35c units ex vat

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Does Flogas do level pay (fixed direct debit every month that's reviewed periodically) does anyone know?

Really tempted to switch to this 29c electricity offer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Newtown90

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Ah perfect, I obviously missed it when going through the sign up flow, must be after the MPRN step as I don't have that handy in work atm. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭epopnomis

signed up for the Flogas elec only offer, now to wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭epopnomis

Yes this was an option when I signed up for Electricity, near the end of the process, called Fixed Pay

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭samo

Signed up for the Flogas offer on Saturday and got confirmation but as I think mentioned here before, it didn’t specifically confirm in the mail that it was the BWG offer…

So hoping somewhere I can see the rates once approved 🤞

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Ozvaldo

THis bwg offer do you need to work for bwg or something to get it

this bwg offer is it it good for being on a smart meter

• Registered Users Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Compared this with bord gais who increased rates twice in 22. Full price Ex. Vat rates

22 averages: BG .3186 v .2741 WP

23 averages: BG .4421 v .2717 WP

BG were offering 40 & 39% off up to last September at least as well. I couldn't be bothered doing the standing charges. It's an interesting tariff but maybe not as good as it looks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Fair point! I am currently paying 0.3010c a unit with BGE including vat under the OBS deal since October 2022 Prior to that the discounted rate with BGE was 0.2221C.

I would agree it is a good rate given what other providers are currently offering but we should not be getting carried away with this either.

BG - like all others - is offering rates that reflect past wholesale prices. This tracker deal reflects current wholesale prices.

In a period of increasing wholesale prices, you're better off paying yesterday's prices. This tracker was not interesting in '22 (consumer prices fully reflected the hikes only from October '22, with a 30-40% increase happening then).

In a period of decreasing wholesale prices, you're better off paying today's prices. If there's ever a time to consider this tracker, it's now.

In a more stable price environment, it's probably not worth it, the bigger providers would typically offer better discounts to switching customers, and they come with the comfort of more stable bills month to month.

Post edited by tx_tx on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,624 ✭✭✭bren2001

The Waterpower rate over the past 10 months is 32.114 (yes, I have selectively picked that period). FloGas are offering 27.51.

I still think FloGas is an absolute no brainer atm. Locks in the rate for the winter (gas too). Gives you piece of mind. If rates plummet, you can exit for €50. You only need to use around 1000 kWh of electricity with FloGas to make the €50 back on waterpowers rate if you chose to exit. I do not see the benefit of waterpower over the year. I cannot see prices going much lower with them.

Waterpower is interesting but I would not like the idea of a shock bill for a sudden rate change.

That's a fair approach. We have different convictions over the direction of prices in the next 12 months obviously, so what I don't like on my side is the idea of paying what looks like good rates today, but in say 9 months, when they could have become overpriced. But true, in the next 3 months or so, Flogas is a great offer, there won't be a sudden -50% on electricity rates. Just saying that it's an offer where you need to factor in the cost of switching, and more importantly not forget to do it and end up giving back in the last few months all the savings you made in the first few months.

(The Flogas rate you use as a comparison wasn't on offer for the last 10 months. It's on offer for the next 12 months - very different in the context we're in. Current Waterpower rates are already lower than Flogas, not by much, but still lower, so that 1000 kWh break-even is incorrect.)

Waterpower is also an option for those on smart meter plans but flo gas doesn’t seem to cater for that option

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Ozvaldo

If you have a smart meter can you get the bw offer

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭portach king

Hi Folks,

I'm looking for some general advice on switching to a new gas and electricity provider. There's been a lot of changes to my house since this time last year. I bought an EV with a home charger, installed a heat pump and got an 8Kw solar panel system, with a 5Kw battery. The ESB changed my meter to a smart meter three weeks ago.

I want to find the best deal that would include all the possible discounts that I'm entitled to. Can anyone recommend any essential tips or guidance? What are some things I should look out for when comparing offers? Any and all information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Well first off don't activate the smart meter and then order a day night meter so you can charge up the car overnight on a low rate.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭meep

Do they mandate a smart meter? Didn't see mention of that in their bumpf.

I need to change (Energia want to charge me 44c (including 10% discount) and smart power look like somewhat better value

They come across as someone working part time from their garage though. Anyone with them?

• Advertisement

This might tell you more about them - or should I say him : https://www.waterpower.ie/promotional-information-on-waterpower/

Granted, they're not a run-of-the-mill provider. 20 years in business, but came to servicing consumers rather recently and certainly at a small scale.

A few people on this thread said they just switched to them, but I don't think anyone even knew their name before last month, so not sure you'll get feedback.

Feel like a pioneer?

Advertisement