Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,041 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

• Registered Users Posts: 6,624 ✭✭✭bren2001

You're wrong. You don't understand energy or power but I've no interest in derailing a thread into electrical engineering.

I am also not technically correct either in my statement but i didn't really think I'd need to get into units on a bargain alerts thread.

You can take it to PM if you care enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭the 12 th man

My EV states on the dash "Average consumption 16.9 KWH per 100 KMS driven" how does that not make sense when we know how much a KWH of electricity costs?

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭the 12 th man

Took me weeks before I got both notification of both being changed over fully so if Energia have closed already you you're looking good imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,041 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Just applied online now for dual fuel so fingers crossed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,422 ✭✭✭con747

AFAIK Waterpower don't charge for leaving if a better offer comes along. Some analysts are saying prices might not drop this side of winter but it's a guessing game really and up to the suppliers.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

It’s not a smart arse reply

you start from the recent posts and work back it’s quite a simple process

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Inthepoorhouse

Thanks for this, that 24 hour rate looks great value. Have a smart meter in new house but I don't think it has been activated unless the builder activated it. Will try sign up online and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭TheBigEvil

The Smart meters are a joke in fairness, you can only avail of Day/Peak/Night rate plans. They transmit readings every 30mins to the supplier.

Why can't Day/Night and 24hr plans be offered to Smart Meter users. At the end of the day it's all about the rates/standing charges the supplier offer on the plans. Having a smart meter should actually give you more options on plans, not just one type of plan.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Electric Ireland do a 24hr smart tariff. But they are a only one.

It's likely they would be "one way" as well, once you leave your day night, you will never return. Prob will be holding onto my DN tariff for as long as I can, as they still are cheaper per kWh than smart plans. (I like the 9 hrs of cheap rate)

Surely that goes for Electric Irelands smart 24hr tariff plan as well? Once you go on it there's no way back? I won't be accepting one until a certain person sings I know that!

Some here said when they just had access to the smart data without having a smart plan they were locked into smart tariffs without even knowing afaik, so you need to have your wits about you with these lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭tx_tx

This FAQ got me confused a bit. An important point is that the question "I currently have a day-night meter, can I get a smart meter?" applies to night saver users who request a smart meter before this Autumn (before RM107 becomes available). Not users who will get a smart meter without requesting it.

For them, "From autumn 2023, the rollout of day-night meter exchanges to smart meters will begin. It is important to note that having a smart meter installed does not mean you are automatically assigned to a smart price plan and it will not change the cost of your current tariff."

Just like 24hrs users, who can have a smart meter installed without activating the smart features, and retain their non-smart plan, night saver users will be allowed to have a new meter without going smart.

What this FAQ says is that if night saver users request a smart meter today, they need to move to a smart plan. Makes sense. Why would you request a meter before it's due, if not to go smart?

There are 2 types of smart meters for domestic customers, called RM106 and RM107. The difference between them being the capability to be used as a day/night meter for RM107. This was decided so that night saver users are allowed to keep their non-smart night saver plan after a smart meter installation. If they were going to be forced into a smart plan, ESBN would just have installed everyone a RM106, and there would be no point in having 2 types of smart meters. RM107 meters are not available as of today.

Post edited by tx_tx on

Yeah they do want to move everyone to a smart meter (for export reasons and not having to actually read the meters)

The rm106 doesnt have a counter[register] for day and night, that's displayed on the screen (yes I know day + peak is the same as day, but if it's not there it's not there)

Switching for DST could be another issue that they need a different meter, DN ignores DST. Smart plants do observe DST.

The rm107 can be swapped with no change in plan. Until the customer chooses to.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭tx_tx

The CRU agrees with you. We'll be forced to use smart meters, but energy providers can offer 24hrs plans or day/night plans with these meters if they wish.

And in fact some of them do ... but it's limited. As in, they will offer you to activate your smart features and retain your existing plan. But they make that plan only available at that point in time, to lure you into going smart. Once it's done, if you move to a different provider (and possibly on renewal with this provider, I don't know), they won't let you sign up to the 24hrs plan.

" some suppliers have requested that the CRU reconsider this approach in order to allow customers the option of reverting to MCC01 from either MCC12 or MCC16. These suppliers have cited a number of reasons for this which are outlined in more detail below. Based on initial discussions, the CRU is not of the view that a change to allow customers to revert back to MCC01 "

" The rationale for the CRU’s position is that customers will have the ability to move to MCC12 and MCC16 and there is nothing to prevent a supplier offering the customer a flat-rate tariff on either MCC. "

https://rmdservice.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/DR1200-Smart-Metering-Customer-Change-of-Mete-Config-Code.pdf

Post edited by tx_tx on

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Pekarirska

I moved gas to the Flogas BWG this week. Straightforward as all done just filling out the form online. Got a confirmation email the next morning.

A bit more work with the Waterpower tracker. Had to email them last 3 electricity bills, drivers licence (or passport), signed direct debit mandate and a meter read. Got a phone call the next morning confirming the switch.

Don't know what the future holds pricewise but I know I will be keeping an eye on this thread ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Do you have to post anything to them or just scan and email everything to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Pekarirska

Scan and email

• Advertisement

You should keep this thread updated. I'd be intrigued to see how that works out for you. You are braver then i am. I went duel fuel FloGas.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

why is it being brave ? they is no fee for breaking the contract with wp so if the price shoots up they can move providers straight away

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

Risk depends on your usage I guess, we are very heavy users in winter due to heat pump. The waterpower peak in Dec/Jan would have cost us €275 over our Electric ireland plan and there were only terrible offers available at the time to move to.

Assuming waterpower stayed at May rates the max saving over BWG in the next 12 months we would see is €30.69 per month.

If it had been a colder winter that saving would have evaporated and wither way the waterpower rate is unlikely to stay at May prices its already on the way up for June 👇

For me certainty at the most expensive time of year - Christmas is worth letting the small theoretical saving go.

It's just a phrase really.

But it's not taking the FloGas rate for the unknown of Waterpower. They can break contract but won't definitely get the rate on offer.

Is there really a need to call stuff like this out in a thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭staples7

same, applied a week again heard nothing bar the original email. However online my electric Ireland account now shows closed. Ran EI and the say my account is 'Lost in Transit '😂 I was like Wtf he assured me thats just their term for transitioning. so looks good I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

Wouldn't it be good if you could get a finished price per unit - i.e. the total you actually have to pay divided by the number of units? Pipe dream, given all the variables. You can work it out from your bills - try it - but it's reasonably difficult calculate in advance to compare suppliers. Obviously, the higher the usage, the less an effect PSO etc has on the unit final price. But it could be worked out beforehand for the average user if the will was there.

Anyways, to get to the point, what leads me to say this is I switched from Community Power (whom I would love to continue to support but I'm forced to make cutbacks) and my final bill with them landed a few days before my first bill arrived from waterpower.ie for the last few days of May.

Taking the total I have to pay, including all of the taxes, CP works out at just over 55¢ per KWh; WP this first period is a fraction under 31¢. Having said that, CP's standing charges are lot lower than WP's.

Try it yourself and post your actual KWp rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Ozvaldo

in regard to flogas bwg offers Exclusive Electricity Fixed 1 YR 29.99 c unit v Exclusive Fixed Smart Electricity 33 c unit

Which is better

Post edited by Ozvaldo on

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Ozvaldo

is this is a smart meter plan that people are advising against again the bwg

https://www.flogas.ie/dual-fuel/exclusive-dual-06-23.html

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

That is a non smart plan by the look of it, doesn't say smart anywhere on the page.

I've signed up to it already, waiting for the welcome pack. Will save 4c on gas so fingers crossed we switch over asap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Zico !

Like above just wondering about this flogas bgw offer is this a smart tarriff plan where you are stuck on a smart tarriff permanently

https://www.flogas.ie/exclusive-elec-06-23.html

Advertisement