Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭DarkBlonde

I signed up last week to Flogas BWG plan (24 hr) I got the welcome email today from them. No mention of rates. So I called them up and waited ages to speak to an agent. She confirmed that I got the BWG rates as advertised.

Im moving from energia. I had a rate of 28.57 so I will see an increase in bill but I’m happy because the BWG rate is a lot better than all the other offers I was looking at.

I got the smart meter installed a few months back (it’s the rm107 for those who were saying they aren’t available until Autumn) So glad I read this thread because I didn’t realise once you go smart there is no going back!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Just curious has anyone been lucky enough to get an additional discount from any of the suppliers over the phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,041 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

EI offered me €150 electricity credit to stay, no extra discounts mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭staples7

Delete

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

the discount is not what really matters it is the end price per kw combined with standing charge

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭tx_tx

The discount can matter. Prices change, but your discount would typically apply for 12 months.

Back in 2021/2022, every energy provider increased their prices 4 or 5 times. If a customer had made a decision based on whoever had the best price at the time they signed up in that period, chances are that 2 months later it was a different picture and the price they were paying was now among the dearest. I was lucky enough to have a 40% discount with Energia at the time. That 40% discount applied to the rate I signed up for, but also to the 4 rounds of increases, I only took 60% of the hit.

Similarly, in the year to come, if we see several rounds of price drops (say 5-10% at a time), having secured a discount would be better than having signed up to the best price as of today. (And much better than having secured a fixed rate for 12 months). Any 20% discount will keep giving you a rate 20% below that provider's new rates, as things will fluctuate with price changes, and that provider's rate will go from being the best to being poor to being quite good in the course of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭sean29

It's still better to get lower rate than % discount at the moment. Especially if your usage is above average. 1300kwh per 2 months and switching from 0.36c rate to 0.29c flogas will bring down your bill by almost 100 euro per bill. If rates go down just break the contract and pay 50 euro fee, you will be beter off

• Registered Users Posts: 6,623 ✭✭✭bren2001

If the offer the day you switch is:

Option A: 50c a unit with a 20% discount, you're paying 40c a unit OR

Option B: 40c a unit with no discount

I would advise you pick rate with no discount because when you're contract is up, you're still on that rate. You're not necessarily forced to shop around again.

If both companies cut their rates by 10%:

Option A: 45c a unit with a 20% discount, you're paying 36c a unit OR

Option B: 36c a unit (40c x 0.9).

The percentage discount really doesn't make a difference. You should just go with the cheapest rate. If the rates go up, the same is true. Obviously, you have to take into account standing charges etc. and the above is slightly simplified.

Got a call from EI because apparently they do want to lose me. 😄

I was told they had a great offer for me but when I explained I'm not interested in credit to my account and asked the unit cost for gas and electricity he just went into the data protection spiel. Then he wanted to confirm my personal details and I declined, so I don't know what the great offer is (I always refuse to give personal info when they ring me).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

they are doing some door to door sales in new estates where they are giving 250 credit but at no discount on the prices...never ever take credit offers at this stage as discount is the way to go...i was glad i went with highest discount in 2022(39%) with bord gais and managed to save money last year anticipating increase in prices. Same will happen this year as well....doubt anyone will reduce prices...best would be they stay same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭lau1247

Can someone help confirm for me, with this Flogas BWG rate, does the term "Fixed" not imply that the rate is fixed for the year?

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

Your unit rate and standing charge is fixed for the year.

What's your query? The PSO levy might vary, that's not a FloGas decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭batistuta9

It's probably the ex vat unit rate that's fixed, vat probably will go back to 13.5%

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭lau1247

Yes I was asking about base unit rate and standing charge (not VAT or PSO levy since the energy supplier doesn't control that).

The reason for asking is because the traditional energy supplier's plan rate can change. This is the first time I have signed up to a fixed rate. So just want to get it right in my head that my interpretation is correct.

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭tx_tx

If things go this way, the discount makes no difference.

But I think it's not a realistic scenario, because :

1/ You assume that when A is at 50c and B at 40c, their decision would be to cut by 10%. I think a rational competitive decision would push A to cut more (to the extent that they can) and B to cut less (why wouldn't they). Which is why I prefer 50c with 20% off rather than 40c.

2/ You assume that 12 months later, when your contract is up, A is still 25% more expensive than B. Again, in an environment where competition exists, that means A would be constantly losing customers to B. Which is why I think after 12 months the situation will be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

Somebody might be in the same boat on this one... I recently renewed with Electric Ireland for the €150 credit. Would a switch to Flogas at this point be a €50 charge or would they claw back the €150? Not especially clear from my reading of their site

They would take their €150 back so the effective fee to break is €200 (assuming it's only electricity).

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭knipper

Switched to the bwg flogas gas offer and got a call from electric Ireland. When yer man heard the rate he doubted it but said good luck as they can't come anywhere near it.

• Advertisement

Is there any chance they could report Flogas to the regulatory for signing us up to a discounted plan only intended for BWG employees? 😲

• Registered Users Posts: 9,050 ✭✭✭CoBo55

What would they report them for? There's nothing stopping FloGas offering this rate to everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Only

Just coming on to say thanks very much for the heads up on the FloGas BWG offer - Only for this thread I wouldn't have found it as when you go directly into Flogas and just click on electricity it doesnt show that option ... just switched from Energia at 44.4c per unit

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Tazium

I've a smart meter, applied for the Flogas BWG offer and had email correspondence with them. Their 'offer' to me 37.99 cent kWh. Not what I applied for, I've cancelled the sign-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

well they put me to some other plan and not the BWG....37 day rate and 17 night rate against 33 and 14 advertised ! Called and sales guy said he will get me onto it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Maybe they put you into the smart meter rate which isn’t as good

The internet isn’t for everyone

I got confirmation in the post about my electricity account. I rang to confirm the rate and that I'm still on a 24 hr meter, all gone.

My gas is still being transferred but I was told the unit rate ex vat is 10.04, it should be 9.04. That's being checked and I was told it would be corrected before they switch the account.

I opted for level pay but that can't be set up until my first bill is issued.

Double-check you're getting the correct rate when you switch!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭samo

Did anyone get challenged about being part of BWG etc if calling Flo-Gas?

Advertisement