Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Eleusis

Could also get your dad to ring first for the sole purpose off adding you as someone authorised to talk on his behalf. You can call when it suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Tazium

Please excuse this query, likely asked before.

Why is the unit price of electricity charged at a higher rate for Smart meter users than non-smart users?

Does it cost the providers more to supply the same amount of energy?

thanks for your insights here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

It's simply a rip off and likely illegal. But shur, it's Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Eleusis

Smart plans are more expensive during the day and peak times than non smart plans, but are cheaper during the night. It's to entice people to use electricity more at night when demand is less on the grid.

Currently though in this country suppliers are too greedy and don't offer decent smart rates to properly entice you and would prefer to burn lots of gas instead and get rich.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭jasonb

Hi all...

Like everyone else, I'm trying to find the best deal I can to save some money. Reading back through the last few pages here suggests that the Flo Gas BWG Dual Fuel deal looks like a great one for me. I'm currently on Dual Fuel with Airtricity (Day/Night Meter), and the rates are much cheaper with Flo Gas.

Just some quick questions. My contract with Airtricity expires on the 4th August. I assume if I want to avoid fees for breaking my contract, I need to wait until then to switch, correct? But I'd be concerned that the Flo Gas offer could be gone. It would cost me €100 to switch in contract breaking fees, but at my last bill I was in credit by €93.18 (we pay Airtricity every two months with their Budget Plan). So I assume the €100 would be taken from that? I just think the rates are so much better with Flo Gas that I'd get that €100 back in 2 or 3 months of cheaper bills, and I'd be worried about missing out on the rates if I wait until August. I believe Flo Gas have a fixed budget plan DD as well, correct?

Would appreciate people's thoughts, do I wait 'til August or switch now? The page today has the Switch Now button, so I wouldn't have to say I work in Spar etc.

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

@jasonb switch now

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 17,041 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

If you'd get the 100 back in 2-3 months think of what you'd save over the year. It's a no brained to lock in a cheaper rate for a year, especially coming in to autumn and winter.

Yep, I think you're both right, and also, further investigation of my Airtricity account shows I'm actually in more credit than I thought, so the €100 won't come directly from my pocket at all. Am gonna switch now, thanks!

EDIT : Actually, they look for a meter reading, I'll switch this afternoon at home...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

What are Flogas like when it comes to paying out for Solar, do they pay each billing cycle?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Found the answer:

"We will credit your electricity account at the same frequency and time as your regular bill with an amount equal to the volume of electricity returned to the grid multiplied by the Flogas microgeneration rate. "

https://www.flogas.ie/about-solar-pv/micro-generation.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭con747

They also pay one of the highest FIT rates @ 0.24c inc vat.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Dec4

Anyone know what to enter for the Promo Code if completing the application on-line?

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭tx_tx

Smart plans are quite close to Nightsaver plans. They only have the additional Peak time rate.

To answer @Tazium 's question, no, there are no extra costs for the energy provider and they could absolutely offer Smart plans that work out the same EAB, for example. Why they don't is purely a commercial decision, there is no underlying constraint. There is just a small percentage of the population on smart plans, so maybe that's why there's less competition in that segment of the market. Hopefully it'll change when more people have switched to smart, but it's a bit of a chicken and egg problem, here.

As far as greed is concerned, an energy provider has the same opportunities for profit (or greed) in a non-smart plan world as in a smart plan world. Same for whether you use greener energy or use it at night rather than during peak times. The move towards smart plans doesn't mean less profits for them, they have no reasons to be against any of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭John arse

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭midnightblue

Hi All,

I just tried signing up to the fixed 1-year plan, but I stay stuck in the last page for bank details. When I click on the Complete button, it brings me back up to the top of the page. I've double-checked that all the fields are filled out, and tried different browsers but no joy.

Has anyone encountered this issue?

UPDATE: The switch went through after I cleared the browser cookies/cache.

Post edited by midnightblue on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭samo

Just got my first gas bill from Flogas and rates are matching that of the offer (phew) - now just need to get my energy credit back from Energia!

Ok, just switched over, and got the confirmation email. Am very curious to see what the monthly Budget Plan cost will be, compared to the one I am on with Airtricity. But the rates are definitely cheaper, especially the night rate (I charge an EV at night) so I am hopeful of a decent saving. Nice to be locked in to a lower price for a year too.

Thanks to the contributors to this thread, finding it has saved me some money. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,041 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I was told they won't set up the budget plan until after the first bill cycle so make sure you chase it up with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,050 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I rang them today my first bill will be generated on the 5th of July, it'll be hefty enough being close to 75 days since I signed up🫣. I wonder would they get me a D/N meter? I'd probably lose the bwg fixed rates if they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭raclle

Anyone any idea of when the rates will start to come down and be reflected on our bills?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Rates are coming down or are stable

• Registered Users Posts: 17,987 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 9,050 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Hmmm could be worth a try, no harm in asking is there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭larchielads

Signed up for flogas on monday havent heard anythin back since to see if i was successful in my application, that normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Did you get a confirmation email?

They wait the 14 day cooling off period before writing to you. Signed up on 14th and got email, received bill today starting 20th. In the interim I called them to check and they confirmed account and prices over the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

The assumption is always that the switch only happens after the end of the cooling off period, but the reality appears to be quite different, with changeovers being done within days of the application

When I signed up there was an option to wait for the 14 days cooling off before starting the contract, or to start the contract during the 14 days? Could people selecting/not selecting this option be the reason for the different amount of days before cutover happens?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 chimpdoctor

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/2023/06/29/electric-ireland-is-cheapest-supplier-of-energy-to-irish-market-says-regulator/

Anyone seen this? Flogas said to be the most expensive for both Gas and electricity. Am I going mad? They seemed to be the cheapest in the market when I signed up last month on the BWG offer.

Advertisement