Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on whether to switch from board to skis

Options
  • 03-03-2022 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

Just looking for opinions. Family going skiing in December. The kids are beginners so am thinking skiing is the way to go for them but it's my option I am stumped.

I went snowboarding about 4 times 18-20 years ago. I'm 48 now and wondering should I just swap and do the beginner skiing with the kids or get a refresher on the board? Could be harder relearning on the board and spending time on my a*se. It's not as handy getting up these days :) I don't know what I will be like. Has anybody taken an extended time out and how have they found it going back? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭prunudo

Can't answer directly but the brother had a similar predicament recently. Now he wasn't off the board for as long as you, only about 5 years but in the end he stuck with the board. Also 10 years younger so maybe bounces slightly better!

While his wife and kids were off doing lessons he was able to hit the reds/blacks and go further afield and then in the afternoon he was able to potter along with the family on the blues.

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer, decide what you want from the holiday and choose what suits you.

I should add, he had his own gear, so renting wasn't as issue but he felt that he knew how to board and he'd be kicking himself if he struggling on the ski's plus knowing he had the board at home and could have enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭dubstepper

That is interesting. I don't have gear so the choice is perhaps more open to me than your brother. It's fair point that I don't want to spend the week in beginner school if I can remember any of it?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

Might be nice to learn to ski with the kids?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭blue note

Switch to the skiing. Boarders are the Spanish students of the slopes - constantly just stopping and sitting down in the middle of a run. You're too old to be at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭dubstepper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭dubbrin

Go skiing with the kids would be my tuppence. You'll pick it up fast if you've been on a slope before, there'll be a kick out of learning and you'll be able to have the craic with the family. Everyone will be on the same 'page' and less time on your ass too. I've done both extensively and enjoy them differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Kander

I used to go boarding once a year for about 5-6 years in a row. Eventually I decided to go with skiing as the relearn time each year was getting tougher and tougher to suffer through. When I went one year with a beginner friend I made the jump to learn skiing with them.

I loved boarding but I just couldn't handle it anymore. I can get the same experience & fun of being out in the snow without breaking myself.

Go skiing with your kids, you wont survive picking yourself off the ground a hundred times a day at your age.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

• Registered Users Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭trashcan

Expect to spend a fair bit of time on your ass while learning to ski anyway. I know I did. Never snowboarded, and was never tempted. Still hate the sound of a boarder in close proximity behind me.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭manshay

I'm a 40 something year old boarder. Went skiing for the first time 3 years ago, I could not ski, so I wouldn't agree that you'll pick it up fast! Started boarding 2 years ago, I can board to a basic level. On this years snow holiday I spent a lot less time on my butt!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭dubbrin

Did you get lessons? I think my point was more aimed at the fact that the OP has boarded before and shouldn't be afraid of pointing themselves down a slope, so with some tuition will be able to appreciate and pick up the various aspects of basic skiing. To be fair, neither is an easy ask starting out and we've all been wet to the bare arse from getting the hang of it! I'll be skiing with the kids as soon as they're able. Let them choose how many edges they prefer once the basics are down.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Roxxers

switch defo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

I found skiing very easy to pick up after boarding, end of second day I was as good on skis Vs on a board with the exception of a board being easy to just go on your heels on a steep black where you don't have the same kind of option on skis.

Your head will be wrekced waiting for the kids if you stick to the board too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Donie75

A friend of mine was a boarder for years. She went away every year with a few friends and she always thought it looked easier for the skiers to cruise along. She tried skiing for a week, did a few lessons and never went back. She was delighted with the move and found it much better for heading away travelling around a resort for the day.

Advertisement