Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Picard 2x01 - 'The Star Gazer' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** }

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,290 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

If Picard's mother was assimilated he would have surely known this when he himself was assimilated.

I think (hoping) this Queen was told to say that to Picard as a code of some sort to do the right thing. A bit like the number 3 in the episode with Frazier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,807 ✭✭✭Evade

If the new Borg are from the future it's possible that the Queen is a descendant of Picard, possibly half Romulan, making the "look up" and Non, Je Ne Regrette Rien something Picard introduced to that potential child. As an aside, every time they say look up Farscape pops into my head.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,649 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

It’s a mirror universe Borg was my first though. The queen is actually mirror universe Picard himself.

I really hope I’m wrong.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

On the “look up” thing. When Picard was assimilated so were all his memories. So it doesn’t have to be someone be knew.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭eadrom

I'm not giving the mystery Queen any thought to be honest, it will only disappoint. Though it couldn't possibly be Picard's mother. Even for these writers, that's just too far gone. Surely?

Someone above mentioned the Romulan having an Irish accent, it was explained somewhere (maybe the comics set before season 1) that she originally settled in Ireland after the distruction of Romulus, so that's where she leaned English and picked up the accent. Though I do think they could/should have mixed a little more Romulan and a little less Irish into the character portrayal.

Why does it have to be explained when they have Irish accents. It never needs explanation when they sound American, British or whatever the fek the Code of Honour lads were supposed to sound like.

The universal translator makes all aliens sound like yanks.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

I know where you're coming from with the queen, and I'm mostly trying to do the same. I rewatched it today, and what I do like is that effect on the mask with the gears and technology moving before shooting those shots at half the bridge. It was very creepy, it was very cool, and I think it is a great evolution from the regeneration shots in TNG when they first met the Borg cube. It feels like a more natural evolution of characteristics (due to increased budgets,CGI, etc.) than some of the other character redesigns (Disco Klingons). I'm also not too bothered by the Doc. Oc arms like some people online, didn't give it a second thought at the time becuase it made sense as some type of new combination of the Borg assimilation tubes and those weird pipes in First Contact that brought the Queen down.

And yup, it was either the comics or the novels where there was something about her being resettled in Ireland. as per @breezy1985 , who cares! I enjoy it. Sure I know Poles and Germans who speak with a Cork accent now after only a few years there!

The accent is one thing "cheeky fecker" and "sláinte" take it too far. Over a decade of Miles O'Brien and all we got from him was a "bollocks."

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's entirely possible to have been Orla Brady's own injection into what is, basically, a nothing character. A butler archetype, who now wants to jump Picard's bones (which maybe is Stewart's contribution lol). In fact the use of "fecker", a word really only known here, would tip the hat for me.

We got feck too I think from O'Brien and the Minstrel Boy.

Slainte was clearly some cute game herself and Picard play. He counters with na zrowia and they then done other cheers greetings in different languages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Well, that's actually kind of what I was getting at. Maybe her region just had accents that SOUNDED Irish (Although cheeky feckers and Slainte would indicate otherwise) Ah no, was just a fun observation and I REALLY like her character and portrayal. I can't remember which comedian it was but one of his sketches was along the lines of "Why to ancient Roman senators all sound like Shakespearian actors in movies? Why shouldn't they sound like (Insert terrible Mario-style stereotypical accent here) 'Eh Brutus, Wassa matter wid-a-you?" :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Chabon had a big thing for the use of "indigenous" accents when he was running things so I'd say she came up with the specifics but it was on Chabon's prompting. Kind of weird that Laris did the French version too and not Picard.

👏👏👏 Deserves better than a simple thanks

I don’t get the discussion about the Irish accent. So what? The main character is from Bordeaux and sounds English. Worf was brought up in Russia and sounds American.

It’s not something that changes the series at all. But it is nice that there’s some texture to how people speak. Previously it was 99% American accents.

they/them/theirs

Yep. Discovery is like so oh my god Hollywood California like totally.

Advertisement