Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiring for Induction Hob

Options
  • 04-03-2022 9:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm getting a new kitchen with a 7kw induction hob. I want to run in the cable in advance, as this will be difficult once the kitchen carcass is fitted. What cable should I run, for a total length to the board of about 1.5m?

One other question. We get frequent power cuts, the joys of our new life in rural Ireland. The RCD/ELCB trips out every time. Is this a feature of modern units, or a fault?

(Our local electrician will be wiring in the cooker and hob, just getting prepared. He's very busy and I want to have him in and out. :))

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

I haven't seen that issue with rcds tripping on power cuts

I'm in the habit of switching them off when there's a disturbance to protect appliances

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭NewClareman

Neither have I, until we moved here. However, I'm not familiar with the specs/regulations for more recent ones and was wondering whether they have changed. If not, I'll just get the electrician to swap it out.

Your point re turning it off is well made. There is a lot of electrical equipment in use locally, including welders. Maybe it is a dirty power feed that is causing it to trip. I no longer have access to equipment that would allow me to check.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

I'd probably do an IR test on the installation , test the RCD or swop it out

Advertisement