Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bail in A Murder Case?

• 04-03-2022 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Sheer curiosity from reading about a recent case in the news.

1) Why would someone charged with murder not apply or delay in applying to the High Court for bail? (Do they have to wait for some action from the DPP first or something?)

2) Is it common to be granted bail when charged with murder? Say, for someone with no previous convictions and low risk of reoffending while awaiting trial?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,498 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

1. They might have an expectation that their bailsman will be asked to stump up a substantial amount of cash and organising this might take some time.
    2. No two cases are the same. It's all down to the judge on the day and the attitude of the prosecuting Garda.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭inisfree0504

Thanks, but I don't think these apply in the case I am thinking of. I'll be more specific, but hope I am allowed to refer to particular cases here.

A very successful professional was recently charged with murder. He has been remanded in custody for over two weeks now and to my knowledge has not made any application for bail.

I'm sure he has the benefit of the best legal advice in the State, money is no issue, and I can't imagine he will fare very well in prison.

Why would someone in his position not apply for bail?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

Possibly there may be very serious threats against his life which would make being out on bail not an option.

may be very serious threats against his life 

Which prompts another question; if I may be so bold as to go hijacking thread

Who are these people (generally speaking) that make 'viable threats' etc, ; either against the alleged victim/s or perpetrator/s? Who finds out about it, ie Gardaí 'warning' people about threats made against them,, This, to me, would appear to be a crime also. Does anything ever happen to the makers of these threats?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

• Advertisement

thanks, I thought so myself. How they 'get away with it' , apparently, is beyond me though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If someone is homeless, they may have difficulty getting bail, so they might want time to also arrange accommodation.

If substance abuse or mental health issues were involved in the event, they might want a few days to clear their head.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭billgibney

Just my tuppence worth, but if they thought that they hadn't a hope of a not guilty verdict as the evidence was so overwhelming then they could get any future sentenced backdated to time spent on remand and be released that little earlier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Bail can only be applied for in the HGigh Court on a notice of motion. AThe prosecution must be served with a motion and grounding affidavit a number of days in advance of the hearing. The bail hearing will only take place when there is a high court judge free to take the bail application. The effect of this is that when aperson is refused bail in the District Court it will be over a week, at least, before they get a High Court bail application heard. In many cases it is in the second or third week of custody. In some High Court bail cases the DPP will agree terms and there is only a short hearing but in others there may be cross examination and a large number of documents to be considered and time will have to be set aside for a long hearing.

Advertisement