Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starlink outages? How to check

Options
  • 04-03-2022 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭

Am having hours long outages today but can't find a way to confirm if it's definitely Starlink and when it might be back. What are you all using to check? Can't find anything on Google!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Use the Starlink app.

Click on Stats and then Outages and it will tell you what issues have been over the previous 12 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Tubbritt

I've been onto starlink support for 6 days over very long outages that don't register on the starlink app at all. One of which lasted 2 days straight.

This is still ongoing but curiously during these outages of no internet response, if you enable a VPN, all your connection issues disappear on that device.

Only the devices with the VPN enabled will work during these outages. So for us we have a workaround while starlink try to figure out what is happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭NewClareman

It's possible that it is related to the war in Ukraine. There's a report in todays paper that they were doing software updates to stop Russia jamming the service.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/elon-musk-protects-ukraine-internet-service-72x5hkzvz

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

Yeah, looks that way. Starlink app shows no issues but DNS wasn't resolving, was bloody annoying, seems OK now. Bit annoying that Starlink don't broadcast known issues

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Tubbritt

The thought crossed my mind. I actually asked tech support a few days ago was this a DNS attack over starlink offering support for Ukraine. They didn’t answer that specific question directly, but they did ask me to perform trace routes and send them the reports. Based on our communications, they have moved my support ticket to a more “relevant team”. I’m guessing it’s probably their cyber security team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭CptMonkey

How are ye finding the stability of starlink? Just put in my order after a lot of back and fort in my head.

The quality of my wisp in the last week was the final straw. But I’m still worried that I’ll have similar issues with starlink

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

For the most part, it's very stable. Most outages have been brief (<1 minute). I might notice an outage once a week during working hours, but they are not very regular. The only time there were longer outages (2-3 minutes) was when there was a lot of hail.

If you have a good clear view of the sky for Dishy, it should be the same for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 DeirdreMalone

Same for me, just a couple short outages over night after looking at the app. Too early to tell, just received Starlink, but VERY happy so far.

Advertisement