Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Really good translations into English

Options
  • 05-03-2022 10:48am

I have found that a really good translation brings a great book to life and greatly expands our choice beyond English language authors. Best example i can give is when reading a classic such a Dante from an older translation is hard work, paying the extra cash for a good modern translation is really worth it. The challenge is finding a good translation, which can be difficult especially when looking online

So my recommended list is(but not ordered by Preference)

1) DAnte's Divine Trilogy translated by A Gray

2) The Odyssey of Homer translated by Richmond Lattimore. ( for a different perspective(ie inspired by), I recommend Circe by Madeline Miller. My summary of the Odyssey for the modern reader, is its really just an extended booty call before finally returning to his wife for Odysseus.

3)The Aeniad Translated by Robert Fagles

4) The Goddess Chronicle(Natsuo Kirino) translated by Rebecca Copeland

5) Tales of the Marvellous and News of the Strange translated by Malcolm C Lyons(a recently rediscovered manuscipt from the same canon of the Arabian nights(

6) The Three Body Problem trilogy(Cixin Liu) translated by Ken Liu

7) Murukami's works translations seem to be all very good

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Zouslu

You are absolutely right, good translation brings new meaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

I've been slowly working my way through Oxford's world Classic Trasnalations of Emile Zola's novels which are all recently done and I'm finding them very readbale.

Advertisement