Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drag brake on U turn driving test

Options
  • 05-03-2022 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

All just wondering if you are allowed to drag the rear brake on the u turn as part of driving test. Seems to make easier to do it and more controlled. Let me know your thoughts and thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭goblin59

Could disable your rear brake switch and they'd never know.

I'd recommend doing it without using your brakes though, feathering your clutch and using engine braking has a similar effect for U turns.

depending on your examiner, they may decide that the braking is because of lack of control. What ever you do, don't put your foot down though. Keep them on the pegs. It was an instant fail, not sure if it still is.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Bigserious1

Definitely allowed to drag the rear brake on the U Turn.

I dont think a foot down is definitely a fail. I think it's allowed on a very narrow road. If you do it in the test and stay in control of the bike I wouldnt write off the rest of the test.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

Wont be able to disconnect the brake light :-)

The tester checked the brake lights for both the front lever and rear before I set out on my test

He also said in view of the weather being as muck as it was ( very windy and snowing ) that if I needed to I could put my foot down during the U turn

But I did not need to it was a decent size road

I would just drag the brake lightly

I've just been through IBT and it was constantly drilled into us that you should always use the brakes for extra stability when U turning, figure of 8s, etc. no one ever mentioned about it being a test issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Betsy Og

As I recall using back brake is all part of the slow speed skill/technique - would be a bit daft you weren't allowed to use all your controls, also using the clutch is grand but what if there's a big camber on the road into the ditch?, so def use it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 markm5ireland

All thanks for the responses and yes it is so much easier to do with rear brake.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...that's not great technique - proper way is to use your rear brake.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

I would strongly advise the use of the rear brake for any slow riding, you can also feather the clutch to keep the engine running smooth.

Advertisement