Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

21st Birthday present for niece

• 05-03-2022 6:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭

What's the going rate these days? Been a while since ive been at one 😮

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'd say €50 would be entry level with the price of things nowadays.

21 scratch cards. And you get to guess if the lad behind the counter in Spar will mutter "ffs" or not. What fun!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I'd say 50 too.

However it also depends on circumstances. If you've a few nieces and nephews close together 50 might be too much.

Also depends on how "comfortable" you are....don't be leaving yourself short either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

I appreciate it after hours but I wouldn’t insult a new born child with €50.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

For a neice, 50 a bit scanty. 100 if ya have it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,364 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

50 is plenty.

More than enough actually.

25/30 OK too.

100? Lol.. is it her wedding day? 🤔😆

To thine own self be true

Depends how many nieces/nephews you have and how close together they are.

Also depends on what type of family you have when it comes to giving gifts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

It's your brother/sister child, so fairly close to you. I'd give 50 to a friend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

€100 is scant for a wedding but that’s for another thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Fifty is fine. Don't put yourself under a financial strain to donate a gift that you can't afford. Ignore all the nay sayers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

How close are you to this niece? Some families are close than others. Back in the day, for my 21st, I got a gift worth a few hundred from my godmother, nothing from my godfather (I was 5 the last time he gave me a present 😁), various amounts from some aunts/uncles (that I would see regularly) and nothing from others (who I might only see at weddings/funerals etc).

Ultimately, 50 seems a nice round figure, while 21 scratch cards is also a good alternative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,547 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

A tenner would be enough to get her into an interesting club.....well according to the OP over on the other thread https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058236019/i-ended-up-in-a-sex-club-last-night

Real answer, it depends. If you are loaded, give the 50. If you are loaded and close or a godparent or something,maybe go for the 100. If you're not that flush at the minute, go below 50 but stay above the 20.

As the fella above said anything from 21 to 50.

(which was incidentally, also his motto in his club days)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

50 and a vibrator

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,826 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I'm with Rob €50 is skimpy. €100 .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,364 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

You must all have great jobs!

To thine own self be true

Or not many nieces/nephews I'd be in 4 figures if I gave each of them a 100 on their 21st.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

My godfather gave me 21 quid which was nicely congruent and long ago enough that it's was a nice gift but perhaps a bit stingy in these more brash times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,874 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Yoozername.

Whatever you can afford, OP. Don’t let other people’s ostentatious gifts be a benchmark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,456 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Within a couple of months, a widening brutal war in Europe is going to have us all, and I mean all, struggling to choose between heat, fuel and food, not to mind mortgages, rents and childcare.

Many jobs that have a purpose now, especially in discretionary consumer services, will no longer exist. Things we consider staples now, will be rationed, things we consider luxuries now, simply won't be on sale.

So, whatever this kid gets for her 21st, she ought to be grateful for, because whatever she gets for her 30th, will be handmade from scraps. Her world, and ours, is about to become unrecogniseable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Yoozername.

Stop catostrophising. That simply won’t happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,456 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

That's funny, most of the 1.5 million people who have fled Ukraine in the last 10 days, were thinking exactly the same three weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

2nd half DVD of season 3 of Mrs Browns boys would do the trick..

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭CuriosityKilledtheCat

Recently had this. She has recently got her provisional licence so I bought her a voucher for couple of driving lessons. It was very gratefully received, they are a pricey commodity I discovered😏

Advertisement