Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Powercity warranty

Options
  • 06-03-2022 1:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi all, I am considering to buy an oled tv from Powercity, as my 2 year old Samsung just gone to boot loop and is not covered by warranty anymore. Anyone with experience with Powercity's 5 year warranty? All feedback much appreciated, thank you ...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,428 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Is it a manufacturer warranty or one you buy as an add-on? Extended warranties that you buy instore are notoriously bad value for money. Because the salesman and the store are both in for a slice of the action via commission, it's why they're pushed so hard when you buy an appliance. In places like Currys, you get the feeling that the sales guy's job depends on you buying the extended warranty.

I just checked the Power City website and randomly picked a 55" TV, the stated warranty is 12 months. But the website also states this....

Powercity is liable for any lack of conformity that becomes apparent within a minimum of 2 years from delivery of the goods, and Irish law may give the consumer additional rights.

This discrepancy allows them to upsell the benefit of the additional warranty. Because the salesman on the shop floor can claim that a 5 year extended warranty will add 4 years when in reality it is only giving you an additional 3 years warranty.

Post edited by coylemj on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

If your original TV is only two years old, I would be pursuing my rights under Sale of Goods Act with Samsung first before buying any new television.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 missionx

Unfortunately it's 2 years and 4 months and they won't deal with me, just pass on the contact details to independent repair shops..

For the oled tv I am looking at it says 5 years part and labour warranty is included.. but considering the reviews of Powercity on trust pilot, I am bit nervous and I thing I might have to pay a bit extra for tv from richersounds or likes with their great customer service for peace of mind...

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Consumer rights are a battle with all the big ones. Currys/PCWorld, Harvey Norman, Powercity. DID are probably the same, though I've less to go on with them. Argos are fab, them or Richersounds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,106 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I got a replacement TV out of Samsung for a 4 year old TV that developed a known fault

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭deadduck

depending what you paid for your Samsung, the small claims court might be worth pursuing. less than 3 yrs good service out of a TV is very poor, especially from a brand like Samsung.

also, if I was in your shoes, off the back of that experience, I would go with RickerSounds for the piece of mind, they've a great reputation (on her and beyond) for a reason

How did you proceed about your claim?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,106 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

All sorted over the phone. It took a few attempts but finally I got an agent who understood that a four figure TV should last at least 5 years. It was cheaper for them to replace the TV than give me even a depreciated refund as prices had dropped so much over the four years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Do not buy another item from power city. They are the worst for blanking consumer issues. There are threads here going back over the years.

Now, unless your dead Samsung was the cheapest of the cheap, I would be expecting more than 2y4m from it. Quite simply, if you have not physically broken it, it has not proved to be reasonably durable. Send a letter their HQ explaining the situation and remind them of their obligation to provide one of the 3 R's. If they blank you, get an independent report to show you didn't break it and then start small claims. You will win, the only question is if the value is worth the effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,530 ✭✭✭jaffa20

I had a tv with a backlight that went after about 18 months and had blue screen. In fairness to power city, they did have it repaired FOC though it did take some time but i think that was due to covid and part delays.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭skinny90

look, any local or big name'd retailer will promise the sun moon and stars with how great their CS is when things go wrong, The reality is a service provided on made up technicalities that are designed to do the minimum for the customer all of which is tied into a manufacturers warranty/store policy/both.

Extended warranties are a waste of money and are just there to make the shop more money

as above posts have already stated Argos and richer sounds are probably leading the pack.

Either way, it’s best to understand consumer law and the best approach to engage with stores should an issue occur

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

I would steer clear of powercity.

I had a TV fail just over a year after buying it, they want 400 euro to repair it and actually put in email to me that they will not honor the sale of goods act and I need to pay...

The case was accepted by the small claims court a few days ago and I paid the 25 euro fee. Just waiting now, power city will never get a cent from me again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

If they refuse to repair replace or refund you, then you simply take out a Small Claims Court procedure. It’ll cost you €25. You are covered here by the Sale of Goods and Services Act.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭manatoo

Hi there. Sorry to bump an old thread but how did this play out? I'm in exactly the same situation with Power City at present. Just waiting for the Small Claims Court to assess the details before they accept the case.

I delayed it by stupidly putting the address of the store I purchased from rather than the head office.

Once that was sorted and the case moved to the correct district it wasn't long until I got a cheque in the post for the full value of my claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭manatoo

Wow so power city didn't contest it at all?

Did they give you the full value of a new TV?

Did they ask for any evidence of the malfunction of the TV?

I just had my claim accepted by the district court today so I've paid the €25 to have it formally initiated.

To be fair they had no grounds to contest it, they just coughed up the full value of the TV once the claim was logged.

Essentially, the TV just died. I popped to store and they gave me the usual "Ahhh sure its just out of warranty but buy a new TV and we will look after you" 😂

I requested them to repair, replace or refund the TV and they just said the only option available was a repair, but it was some stupid price to even look at the TV, offhand I can't remember the exact figure. Was told to just email the customer care if I didn't like their options.

I was polite and told customer care the issue, said I was not trying to make a warranty claim and was claiming repair, refund or repair under the sale of goods act. I even linked them the relavent information.

Unfortunately for them the customer care actually put in an email back to me that they would not honour the sale of goods act as their own policy is no warranty then its chargeable. At that point I figured I had a smoking gun so to save all this back and forth and put in the claim.

For my claim I just bullet point all this information with a timeline.
    Attached the receipt to the claim also. And that was job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭GIMP

Well done PC, HN, Did, Currys all do this fob off, they figure most people will just go away and buy a new product! The SCC is excellent for resolving issues like this!

• Advertisement
Advertisement