Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bathtub screen wall hole stripped

Options
  • 06-03-2022 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

the rail of the bathtub screen is coming off. the top hole on the tiled wall is done - the screw is ripped out of the hole.

how do i go about fixing this? should i just make another hole further up or down, or is there a reliable way for me to fix the existing hole? do i use a bigger plug? something i can fill in the hole before re-drilling it? i have that polyfilla stuff for walls, but i dont know if thats actually drillable and able to hold any weight. does something like that exist for bathrooms, or tiled walls?

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

A general fix for this problem would be to increase the hole size and depth a bit. Say the hole is then 10mm, make a round wooden dowel slightly bigger than the hole - hammer that into the hole, cut flush and you're done. You can now drill a pilot hole in the dowel for the screw. Take care hammering in the dowel as I presume there are tiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Is it into a stud or just into the tile with a wall plug?

If its a stud then just a longer screw of the same size should work. You could plug the hole with a dowel, but it can be hard to get at the stud, depending on how this the wall/plaster/adhesive/tile are.

if its into the tile then a new wall plug of the same size will get you back to how it was (but is a terrible way to hang anything! :))

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

sorry. totally forgot about this thread!

yes that part is tiled. sounds logical! i have several plugs lying around, i'll check if i have one that 1 sizer larger then the current hole and just use that with an according screw. by the way, when i use a plastig plug, so i use a wood screw? i believe you use those silver "coarse" screws that had a non-threaded part towards the top, right? though, wouldnt a fully threaded screw not be securer?

i'm baffled as to why bathroom is not completely tiled. water splashes from the bathub to the opposite wall which is just normal drywall. only one end and side is tiled, thats it. i've lived in several countries, and ireland is the only country i've seen where bathroom are only partly tiled. thats so weird. the opposite end of the shower has regular drywall, and the protective/decorative wooden strip on the floor thats in front of the drywall is completely disconnected because that part gets a good amount of water when my kids bathe in the tub.

yeah i dont know if its in a stud, but i would assume so? how else could it be held in place? i cant imagine it just being held by the drywall/tiling.

Advertisement