Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Work from home for Ukraine #wfh4ukraine

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I've already edited the op to make it clear that widely available, well insulated remote hubs would be part of the most effective use of wfh combatting fossil fuels. Failing that, work from an individual home would still be better for those with long commutes.

As far as your claim about a 2% increase in home oil use during covid would still be relevant, what part of that was due to schools, creches, gyms, pubs being closed and not just offices.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭cheezums

I mean if you want to work from home, that's fine, nothing wrong with that. No need to try and link it to climate change and even more bizarrely Ukraine to try and justify it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Ignoring numerous other factors involved in the decision either to work from home, work from a remote hub which would have to be within walking distance of the home, or commuting to a central hub also known as an office, all you’d literally be doing is displacing dependency on fossil fuel from residential to commercial or industrial. Any idea you’d come up with would have no impact on the figure of 40% dependency on oil for residential use. You could argue the toss about the saving of 2% displacement from one location to another.

I’m not hating on your idea or anything else, I’m pointing out how it is fundamentally flawed is all.

I'm sorry I just genuinely don't following that logic. Are you saying it wouldn't reduce oil usage if all the people who live in rural towns and commuter belts, (most of us) drove 5 mins to a remote hub, instead of say an hour to an office?

The remote hub would be heated just as efficiently, if not more so, than the office.

I can see why you’re not following the logic - because you’re welded to the idea of promoting remote hubs as a central location for work, instead of offices which already function as remote hubs already for work.

What anyone would save in commuting costs would be swallowed up by commuting costs to the remote hub by the time they’d have covered the costs of all-day parking, fuel AND the use of a hot-desk in a remote hub.

Your idea simply is about as feasible as the idea of working from remote hubs - grand for short-term use when stuck in a tight spot, but they simply aren’t viable in the long-term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

As I said at the start the whole thread you have gone the wrong way about it, even if you work from home, I have no idea why anyone would think using a war and people dying was a reason that Irish people should WFH

I already work from home permanently. I covered that again just two posts before yours.

As for the link between climate change and remote working being bizarre, do you know it's a key part of our programme for government? For environmental reasons (amongst others)

Do you really not see the link with supporting Putin? I'll ask you the question I posted earlier and which has yet been answered. Do you think we should...

A - keep buying Russian gas and oil

B - stop buy Russian gas and oil but let costs run rampant.

C - stop buying Russian oil and do what we can to reduce demand and therefore price.

Please answer.

But remote hubs are remote. They can be close to where people live. Like commuter and country towns, where people live. Offices aren't. Offices are, by and large, centered in big cities. We use a lot of oil driving to and from them.

Did I not see in another thread where you had said employers should stop the return to the office, to keep fuel prices down?

Am I mixing you up with another user with a similar name.

Will you answer the ABC question?

• Advertisement

Do people not live in cities or something? There are plenty of businesses and offices in Irish towns too? Your rationale for your idea is only getting worse.

It’s only superseded by the Government’s idea of pushing remote hubs as a viable idea instead of fulfilling the promises made for the last 20 years about delivering rural broadband services which they’ve already sunk over €100m into already, and now they’re planning on spending another €100m on remote hubs?

Ten years ago the idea of digital hubs in communities was floated which were funded by EU money, and the idea just didn’t take off. Ten years before that, Ennis was promoted as a model town for the digital age, and we all know how that’s turned out.

Instead of faffing about with remote hubs nonsense and attaching it to the latest trending topic whether it’s the digital age, climate change, and now Ukraine, it would make more sense to invest the same amount of funding in putting proper infrastructure in place which would encourage rural development instead of these remote hubs nonsense which will become derelict relics of a bygone era when the novelty wears off.

Ten and twenty years ago we didn't have the same technology, nor had we just had a pandemic to show how possible remote working would be.

I will agree with you that our current approach to remote hubs will not bring about transformative change and is a waste. It's really just lip service and providing a nice funded service for the well to do.

But I do believe that the transformative move to remote hubs is possible and necessary. This should be especially clear and immediate when we see the atrocities committed in Ukraine by an oil dollar funded despot.

I would also see that if you live and work in Dublin the national need might be less obvious. To my mind there's still a lot of needless traffic gridlock in Dublin which could be removed if people worked from a hub in their suburb.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Nsonowa

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭cheezums

first off, we get a minscule amount of oil and gas from russia. this has been stated several times over the last few weeks. we get it from the UK and Norway primarily. so reducing fossil fuel usage would cause exactly zero problems for russia.

on the global warming question - the problem is not going to be solved by people reducing some portion of their carbon emissions by working from home and eliminating their commute. we are way too far into it for that. we either go entirely back to the stone age (not going to happen) or industry and governments start transitioning to renewables/nuclear and electric cars. that has already started but it is slow. most likely we will use up all of the remaining fossil fuels left in the world in the next 50 years or so and deal with the warming fallout as best we can. that's just the reality now.

working at home is great and i fully support it, but tying it to global warming and ukraine is silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭threescompany

Just get people cycling!!

op you commuted 45 mins from work. Why didn’t you cycle if you are concerned about global warming , emissions etc

I know people with hospitality business in city centre that would be badly affected by WFH. Also for many it’s been a lonely isolating time. It’s not as straight forward an issue as you’re presenting, there are other factors to be considered.

edited to add; linking this issue to Ukraine seems ridiculous.

For anyone who might genuinely have not seen the link between wfh and the Ukraine war

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Literally no light blue (Russian imports) under the heading for Ireland. You're a spoofer, providing evidence against your argument because you haven't even looked at the links you're trying to shill.

Whether or not we import a huge amount of it directly here is a moot point, wasting oil here through needless commutes will only put further pressure on demand, driving up prices and making embargos across Europe and worldwide more difficult.

There's a reason prices have sky rocketed here after the invasion. We don't live in a bubble. You might be happy to keep shoving more and more dirty oil dollars in Putin's panties every day, I think most right people thinking aren't.

And please by nicer online and listen to this song. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfWlot6h_JM Haters gonna hate.

As per the graph in the links you shared, we get no gas from Russia. We aren't putting any money to Putin. Your plan has been seen through. I won't be replying again, this thread deserves to sink to the depths of Boards, never to be seen again. What sort of ethics has someone who tries to link the murder and destruction of a nation, with their desire to work from home. Unconscionable.

To be honest you haven't contributed much anyway so I won't miss you from the thread. You've been rude and shouty and having to reply to you has been quite tiresome.

You might have done better with some grasp of the laws of supply and demand. I'll put it as simply as possible.

The higher the price of oil the more money Putin will get for what he will sell. If worldwide embargos cut his volume of sales by 50%, it counts for nothing if the price doubles. We can help keep the price down by reducing usage and only using oil for essential purposes.

WE. BUY. NO. OIL. FROM. RUSSIA.

HE. GETS. NO. IRISH. MONEY. NO. MATTER. THE. PRICE. BECAUSE. WE. DO. NOT. BUY. OIL. FROM. HIM.

• Advertisement

What's Irish money??? You think Putin cares?

Our behavior and national choices impact how much money goes to Russia at this time. If you'd like to do something about that, reduce fossil fuel usage to essentials, and share the hashtag #wfh4ukraine.

If you don't want to do anything but shout and deny that's on you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭patnor1011

You seems to live in some fantasy land. Must be all automatic and robots all over Bally-sci-fi-landia over there where you live. Or maybe it is all just in your head but I have yet to see manufacturing or farming done over the phone.

No, not that many people work in tele-sales or as tech support that reducing their commute will make any difference.

Ah c'mon. Of course I don't mean manufacturing or farming. We all know an awful lot of people were able to wfh during covid. An earlier poster shared a figure of 1.4 million office jobs in Ireland. Sounds close to me.

We can do something here. Cut fossil fuel usage for Ukraine. #wfh4ukraine #cutfossilfuels4ukraine #shutdatacentres4ukraine

Whatever about the long term, employers, let people quit the commute while this war lasts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

The hashtag are getting even more embarrassing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

One man's #W@nkFromHome war being waged to himself on boards.ie 👍

Sadly a lot of haters and cynicism here. Sharing this again, well worth a look.

https://www.transportenvironment.org/discover/europes-dependence-on-russian-oil-puts-285m-a-day-in-putins-pocket/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Entire thread is errant nonsense

#stopposting4ukraine

Couple of good articles here on the challenges of enforcing oil and gas embargoes on Russia.

Worth a read, I do think it's quite clear though that for these embargos to be successful price has to stay as low as possible, and this will have to mean reducing usage.

Have to stop putting that $285,000,000 in Putin's pocket every day.

I'm sure there's plenty of people out there who want to support Ukraine like this and are struggling to pay for long commutes. Employers let them work from home for crying out loud. Government make it happen.

#wfh4ukraine #cutfossilfuels4ukraine #shutdatacentres4ukraine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭jucko

#wob w@nkersofboards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Another $285,000,000 for Putin today.

So disappointing more isn't being done to stop the flow of money to him.

Anyone know of decent employers letting people wfh to help the cause? Or tech companies maybe switching off back up systems which gobble fossil fuels?

If you want to help Ukraine hop on a plane and WFH in the war effort with the Ukrainian men.

Maybe if I didn't have kids.

As it is I'll be doing my best from here. With one of the most effective things as I see it being to cut money going to Putin's war machine.

I wish some businesses would step up. It would be such a great statement if they did.

And if businesses did step up and send everyone home again should we all work in our coats at home???

No heating on burning non Russian oil? Not heating the house in protest. Tapping away at the computer like.

Putin will shut it down instant knowing lads are at home in snorkel jackets working from home and slagging him off on Boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

A war of aggression where civilians including children are being murdered for no reason and your first though is.....How I can use this to Work from Home longer? I think you might need to check your moral compass if you have one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭patnor1011

He is clearly trolling. Nobody can expect this kind of nonsense to take off really.

Seems like we're just trying to find any reason to stay home these days. The weather, COVID and now war in Ukraine...

Just go to work or quit if you hate it.

For the umpteenth time, I already work from home permanently. Check out my posts which predate this war if you really need to.

I'm really hoping the number of miserable defeatists on here isn't representational of the wider population. (otherwise God help us if we're ever invaded)

I believe we can set an example here, in bringing about the sort of demand reduction that could impact that much oil money flowing daily to Putin's war machine.

Working from home and cutting waste in data centers would be a great start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

LMAO, imagine being so wed to the idea of working in an office, it boggles the mind.

Ukraine or no Ukraine, humanity gets to decide the course of action we take and how we live our lives; not corporations. It's a difficult one because we've probably got to the point in our economic and societal development where we can have WFH due to the same corporations but ultimately we should always be probing and analysing the way we live our lives and how to make them better. Doing things because that's just how it's done and always been done is an absolute sham.

Interesting article here from the Ukrainian energy minister and economic adviser calling on Europeans to reduce oil usage.

https://www.newstatesman.com/world/europe/ukraine/2022/03/volodymyr-zelenskys-advisers-explain-how-to-implement-a-russian-energy-embargo

"Europeans stand with Ukraine and have taken millions of Ukrainians into their homes. Surely many of those same generous people are willing to walk to work – or take the tram or ride a bike or share a car ride in order to stop Putin."

He doesn't call out wfh I think because the necessity is more particular to Ireland, where we have long commutes and little or no public transport.

• Advertisement

https://www.iea.org/reports/a-10-point-plan-to-cut-oil-use

From the International Energy Agency - how to cut oil usage in face of war in Ukraine

Point 1 - Wfh

Fair play to these guys: https://www.thejournal.ie/climate-activists-blockage-shipping-company-glasgow-ukraine-5720779-Mar2022/

I'd like to add 'Work from home not war' to their call.

Advertisement