Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warning - ordering golf grips from UK

• 07-03-2022 11:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭

Anyone ordering golf grips from Adore Golf Grips in UK might like to know I had to pay an additional €22.46 duty/tax to the courier, ie 30%, on an order for 2 grips value £59.53 (€74.78) shipped and received in Dublin. Brexit biting hard.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Par72

Yep, this is the case with anything you order from the UK now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Par72

Also, be very wary about buying grips from Adverts/Done Deal, etc. There are loads of fake Golf Pride grips for sale on there. You can't tell they are fake from the pictures but you can tell by their price (too good to be true). Apparently, there is a strong petrol smell from the fake grips though and they don't last very long. Some of the sellers even admit they are fakes in their ads but most don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭bmay529

I have ordered golf gear from Golfsupport in UK up to £130 and have not had to pay any additional costs. I understand Brexit so they must be either covering those costs or supplying through Eurozone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭willabur

have had no problems ordering from clubhousegolf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭coillcam

Not in every case. Some retailers are set up correctly to pay EU/IE VAT and charges at the point of purchase. Amazon and Clubhouse Golf would be two obvious examples. You wouldn't be paying UK VAT on the purchase and the final price is correct. This means no surprises charges and faster delivery.

If you order from any UK based retailer it's crucial to read their website carefully or contact them to ask are they covering all charges with the purchase. Otherwise, An Post or your courier will charge the additional fees per the OP's case. You also run the risk of paying UK VAT which should not be collected by the retailer.

Other stuff that can go wrong is the retailer not filling out a customs declaration on the shipping or describing the goods incorrectly. In several cases, I've had packages stuck in limbo for over a month before arriving back to the seller/retailer and getting a refund. The whole thing is a serious PITA and since Brexit came in the same penal treatment is applied to ALL non-EU origin goods.

The key takeaway is to buy from EU/IE sources and you've nothing to worry about. If buy anything of non-EU origin (most likely UK), do a little bit of due diligence on how the retailer handles VAT/charges collection before purchasing. Aslo if you do buy from a company that isn't doing the charges collection, make sure you are buying the goods ex-VAT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭boccy23

I have used Nordica Golf for grips. I found them cheaper than the UK offerings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,250 ✭✭✭big_drive

Golfbidder are one where you pay the price on their site, no added costs later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,250 ✭✭✭big_drive

Where are they actually based? Website isn't easy to find a contact section or I'm missing it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭boccy23

Came from Sweden from memory. As you say, nothing on website, but the address was part of the delivery label.

Advertisement