Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anybody ever used esim before?

Options
  • 08-03-2022 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭

how does it work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭lordsheepface

only vodafone support them in ireland. from other threads here people are having trouble setting them up sometimes. your phone and network both need to support it. instead of a physical sim card going into your phone each time you have a virtual sim card in your phone.

little more info here from vodafone - https://n.vodafone.ie/support/mobile/esim-support-faqs.html

your question is very general. what have you read yourself so far. what questions do you have from this.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭sublime1

Just a heads up to anyone thinking of getting an eSim. I was in my local Vodafone shop over the weekend looking to switch to eSim. I was pretty shocked when the member of staff told me that Vodafone have basically screwed up their implementation of eSim, and apparently many customers have actually lost their numbers when trying to transfer accounts to eSim. They strongly advised me NOT to get an eSim (which in my case is a bit late as I had foolishly bought a new phone assuming that 5 year old tech would be easily supported). What is interesting is that just a few weeks ago over the phone the same shop told me that there would be no trouble getting an eSim, so this is obviously a very recent change in affairs.

This is a major cockup on Vodafone's part, on the kind of scale that heads should roll. The staff member was unable to even give me a timeline as to when they might start supporting eSims, as right now "it's a complete mess" apparently.

The rest of the world have been happily using eSims for a few years now, but apparently tech leader Ireland can't manage this at all. I'm fuming as I need 2 sims, and was relying on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭thebourke

it doesnt surprise me with vodafone

Advertisement