Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Charges for dropoff and collect to be imposed in Dublin airport

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Blanch used to have a bus, but blanch is big, and the times of the bus were also relatively tight for some of the busiest flight times. For Blanch a 17a and 16/41 is the easiest way by bus or a 39 (24 hours) and a bus from city centre. But you're having to factor in at least an hour extra there and that's at the offpeak time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,041 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Frankfurt also has a world class public transport system in place to the airport. 20 mins from the centre of the city. Guaranteed as its a train.

I live 9 miles from Dublin airport as the crow flies and if I left now on public transport it would take me 1hr 27 minutes 😆

I used Urbus to get to the airport once or twice from Blanchardstown. It was just not worth the stress. Coming back from the airport is less stressful than getting to the airport as you aren't working to a timetable on your return to your house.

And furthermore on this, as a revenue generating operation. A good while back, when there was talk of redrawing boundaries for the councils and they were being changed up, I believe Dublin City wanted to extend from Santry to the Airport. Fingal said no because the rates they get from the airport are so high that they would have a hole in their budget.

They also get the rates for Intel despite it being in Kildare.

The ICE train in Frankfurt Airport would get you 250km or more away from the airport in 1h 27minutes.

A bare-faced money grab is a bare-faced money grab and it discredits those in favour of public transport in general to champion such chicanary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Yes, I guess that’s the only possible solution when faced with the trauma of having to pay a few quid extra on top of the spend of hundreds if not thousands- just cancel everything to avoid paying a very modest parking fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Meh.

Tried using the bus to and from the airport once. Three hours each way. On the feckin’ bus. First time I’d been on a bus in years. And the combined fares added up to more than a drop off fee would. Put that up against 20 minutes across the m50 on a comfy heated leather seat listening to tunes on a great stereo?

Won’t make any difference to me. I’ll still drive. I wouldn’t put a dog on a bus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

An airport in a sustainability drive, is that not something that's a complete contradiction? Aviation is the least sustainable form of transportation with no path to decarbonisation.

This is just a revenue generator, monetising something convenient that used to be free.

If the airport needs more revenue, then increase landing fees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭SteM

It's not running

NO SERVICE

Due to the impact of Covid-19 on our business and our industry, our Airport Hopper services will continue to be temporarily suspended until 2022. After a full review, we regret that we have made this decision as it will not be financially viable to deliver a service in the current climate. While it is great to see restrictions lifting and capacity on transport returning to 100%, we currently lack the supports and grants to restart our services. We will be back running our services in the New Year and we thank you for your understanding at this time and really appreciate the support and messages from all our regular customers.

• Advertisement

One further thing to note is that this will increase congestion at the airport. The red carpark is a good 20mins to half an hour walk away from the terminals, and the shuttles aren't that frequent.

You will get people pulling in close to the airport hotels and offices as they will be closer and shorter distances to walk, and faster to get away from.

If this wasn't a revenue grab, what they could've done was what they do in the States: a cell phone lot. An free area to wait, close to the terminal that the passenger being collected calls the driver who then proceeds to the terminal.

just like the M4 is compromised to maximise profit for the Operator with people travelling the old N4 to avoid the toll the set-down is compromised to maximise profit for DAA.

Infrastructure should not be a profit centre.

I’ve often seen people walking to the bus stop. If that scenario is too horrific to consider, you could get a taxi or a lift from family. Should I be charging for my new travel concierge service, organising these trips for people.

It absolutely IS a motorist issue, a charge for private motorists to use airport facilities.

Why should charges be increased for everyone to provide additional facilities only used by motorists?

Youre right about the sustainability contradiction.

Any suggestion that this charge should be implemented should have been batted away until such time as there was an adequate public transport alternative that is easily accessible for everyone and time efficient.

This is just a transparent cash grab.

Why should motorists subsidise airline operations? The airport exists primarily as a location for airlines to do business, they should pay for the facilities used by their customer

In any case, this money is for general airport operations - an attempt to find a new revenue stream post covid. It isn't about making the airport more efficient or a nicer place to visit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Motorists should pay for facilities used only by motorists. Why should ALL airline passengers share the costs of facilities used only by motorists?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

[although it is currently suspended due to Covid....I would have used it a fair bit pre-Covid back when work trips were a thing]

I taxi’d from further south to meet the bus in Tallaght a couple of times, worked out fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

37 mins by car vs. 1h 57mins by bus for me - and a 10 minute walk to the bus stop.

I'll pay the 5 yoyo or whatever they ask.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Oddly I got more grief from work when claiming expenses as to why I was submitting airhopper and dublin bus receipts, and not a) getting a taxi each way or B) claiming 2 tolls, fuel allowance, and 2-3 days in the shortterm car park...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's never easy to pay for stuff that used to be free. If by charging users of a service you can reduce the amount that non-users have to pay (through taxation), then it seems like win-win.

Realistically I can't think of any good reason why people shouldn't pay for the privilege of being able to drive up to the door of the terminal. Maybe public transport to the airport should be free. You get on the bus and show your ticket and the trip is free. The fact that people who can afford a car get to go to the airport for free is a fundamental inequality, a tax on poor people. Seems only right it should be addressed.

I do appreciate the argument that there's a dire lack of connectivity from most parts direct to the airport, but that's not DAA's problem. I imagine many of those complaining about these charges are the same kind of headwrecks that have been out tying ribbons to trees and going ballistic about one-way systems and cycle tracks.

Irish people love to complain about poor public transport, but will do everything they can to oppose it being provided.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

I'm torn on this one.

On the one hand being picked up from the airport is the height of laziness and a luxury that should be paid for.

On the other hand, DAA are desperatley trying to claw back lost revenue and gives two fingers to the public under the guise of saving the planet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭SteM

Yeah, I used to use it too but its not running anymore so I'm not sure why people keep brining it up. The notice says it'll be up and running in the new year, well we're in March and no sign and no update to the notice. I'll be surprised if they get it up and running again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Pure money grabbing by the DAA.

Short term parking used to be somewhat reasonably priced and most people used that.

There was no problem.

Then they jacked up the price to a point where ordinary people said f*ck that.

And they went and started picking people up at departures, which created a mess of parking.

No they're going to make the airport even less user friendly.

It's such a waste of time being dropped at the Red car park and then having to take a trip on a bus.

And I'm guessing the charge for the drop off point will start at unreasonable than then slowly creep to extortionate.

This will just increase congestion around the airport when people park nearby and don't have to pay anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,310 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

who said anything about horrific? There is literally NO public transport that can get me to the airport for an early flight. It is not an option. You’re trying to make this about people being precious when you’re continuing to miss the point. Even people who want to use public transport to the airport, can’t. Why are suggesting otherwise?

The charge inconveniences motorists and non-motorists alike because it isn’t only motorists who need the lifts.

If they are getting a lift, they are motorists. They are travelling by private car. Just pay for the facilities you are using, no big deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,833 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

What motorist facilities ? A car pulling up beside a path collecting or dropping off isn’t ‘using’ a facility, it’s stopping at or outside a building.

passengers don’t pay anything to the airport by way of charges… the airline pay the airport, for specific services rendered..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

I live in Skerries 25km from the airport, if i've a flight at 6 or 7am. How do I get to the airport? As stated earlier in the thread I'm not a driver. Balance my luggage on my head and walk??

Is speeding, doing extreme sports with a higher chance of injury, having a one off house in the countryside or eating junk food/smoking/drinking heavily all your life in the same category as going on holidays?

• Advertisement

It’s not one car though, it is hundreds of cars every hour. And it’s not “dropping off”, it is 5 or 10 or 30 minutes waiting for an arrival.

Where do you think the airline get the money to pay the passenger charges to the airport? Do you think Mick O’Leary does a whip-round?

You know that private cars haven’t been banned? You can still get dropped off if you like, just pay the small fee to cover some of the costs of the facilities you will be using.

Im charging €50 an hour for my travel concierge advisory service if you need further assistance.

I'm sure Andrew will give you a scoot on a bike.

If you are dropping people off, which is where the charge is coming in, you won't be getting the same flight as them. So no tax on the poor ffs. I've never driven. I get 4 buses a day to get to and from work, but even I can see this is a stupid idea and a money grab. What public transport is being provided to counteract this, and who is protesting it??

I’ve no idea really, but do you think you might be going just a little off topic?

Motorist facilities shouldn’t be a cost centre on the general population.

Hilarious to hear that you’re doing background checks on me though.

No it's quite on the topic of general taxation being used to benefit everyone, whether you use it or not. DAA is a state owned entity. As the state, we shouldn't be charging ourselves stupid charges for an airport we already pay for through taxation.

I doubt you even have a electric scooter mate, your jealousy of those with cars rips through the thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,833 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Well then as in the past, manage it…for years they have had staff there moving cars on… cars don’t move, AP fine em. Been happening for decades. Car gets left there they are clamped or towed, fee to release.

what ‘passenger charges’ ?

the airline pay landing fees, handling fees, parking fees, an aircraft gets towed to a hanger for maintenance it costs…all inclusive in the ticket price…any movement is paid for

do I think MOL does a whip around ? Ask him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I live less than 20km from the airport. I have a flight on Saturday at 6am, so i just put into google what time i have to leave at to be there for 5am on Saturday.

I HAVE TO LEAVE AT 12:05am and get 2 buses if traveling by public transport to catch my flight because thats the last bus.

So for the laugh I put in walking the 20km. Thats only 4 hours, so theres that option.

• Advertisement

We seem to be stuck in a bit of a loop here. As previously discussed, heading off on a jolly isn’t really in the same category as using health services or getting an electricity connection.

But those services and many public services require additional payments for particular services. You pay if you use A&E services, you pay if you park at a hospital, you pay to bring an electricity connection to a new site.

The main difference here is the over inflated sense of entitlement that we’ve allowed motorists to develop, designing our towns, cities and many other services solely around their needs. This is a very, very small degree of pushback on this, requiring motorists to pay a small contribution towards the facilities used solely by motorists.

The outraged reaction is a good measure of that inflated sense of entitlement.

The ‘jealousy of those with cars’ is funny too. Would it wreck your head entirely to know that I do have a car? Am I jealous of myself?

"Am I jealous of myself?"

I would certainly hope not.

Who’s going to pay for the staff to manage it? Do you expect bus passengers to pay their share of managing the parking facilities that they don’t use, in addition to what they pay for their bus facilities?

Airlines pay a passenger charge, around €7.50 , for each passenger. If motorists want extra facilities, let them pay for them, instead of expecting all customers to share these costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Well arent you clever :)

Looks like I have no choice doesnt it.

Where did we discuss this? You made a nonsense statement, I countered it, you claimed it was off topic and waffled on about something else. Should we charge obese people or daredevils more to use health services? Why can you pigeon-hole "motorists", but not others who get some benefits of general taxation. You pay a huge amount of fees if you use the airport: Runway Movement Fees, Passenger Service Charges, Aircraft Parking Charge, Airbridge Charge, Transfer Charge, Person's with Reduced Mobility Charge which according to the DAA website are leveraged into the price of your plane ticket, and that is without the €11.25 (nov-mar) or €12.91 (apr-oct) tax you pay just to fly out of Dublin. So that's that bullshit argument blown well and truly out of the water.

Most Hospital Car Parks are private ventures, so no idea what you've included them for too.

You still haven't explained what "facilities" are being used "solely by motorists", who don't even get out of the car when dropping or collecting at the airport.

motorist

noun

1. the driver of a car.

• Advertisement

If you wanted a choice, maybe you should have considered that when choosing where to live. You have the choice of not flying, of course, if the very small fee of a few quid makes the trip costing hundreds if not thousands too expensive for you.

These facilities have been bought and paid for a thousand times over at this stage. so saying everyone is paying for it is a moot point.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if they'd simply stated it's to reduce congestion at the dropoff point, that'd be one thing. but they're using 'sustainability' as a weak hook for this; and as someone mentioned, there are charges on accessing the airport via bus or taxi. this will achieve the thin end of nothing in making people choose more sustainable options of getting there.

how many other businesses charge customers for merely accessing their services? ticketmaster maybe, who charge you for the process of selling you the tickets, maybe.

We’ve discussed how life saving health treatment isn’t in the same league as heading to Manchester for a match or Berlin for a party, right? Hospital car park revenues come right back to the hospital, regardless of who manages the car park.

And yes, you pay all those dreadful charges, as do those who bus or taxi to the airport. AND they pay the extra charge on top to avail of the bus or taxi facilities. So why shouldn’t motorists pay for the space they use?

They still need to be managed. Should bus passengers be paying a share of managing facilities for motorists?

It is not unreasonable to expect motorists to pay towards future developments, like a sinking fund.

• Advertisement
Advertisement