Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Grandfather Coroner's Report

• 08-03-2022 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭

Hi,

Anyone know how I could get a copy of my grandfather coroner's report, he died in 1965 in Cork city.

The Cork Coroner's office don't have it said to try National Archives, I've emailed numerous time to no avail.

Anyone know how the system works, I gather I need the exact file reference for them to act on? How do I go about finding the reference, like chicken and egg

Many thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Before Covid I dropped into the National Archives looking for a coronors report from 1969 and they were able to provide it for me there and then.

Not sure what the story is now post-Covid.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

How detailed is the coroners report? I would be interested in one dated to 1998, would that be in the National Archives by now?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

The NAI only has records that are more than 30 years old so no to 1998.

What address are you emailing? query AT nationalarchives DOT ie is usually best. You need to search the catalogue.

Genealogy Forum Mod

The report I requested had witness statements from the next of kin of the deceased and photographs of the place of death.

It struck me there and then that there may be photographs of the deceased among the images but thankfully that wasn't so.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭paulski999

@Hermy Were you able to take a copy of the coroners report? e.g. photos and witness statements etc?

@pinkypinky the email address used was "query at nationalarchives.ie" sent request 9 times never a response....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

That's very annoying. Ring them and ask for the duty archivist.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I was content at the time just to take notes but there was someone at another desk taking photographs.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement