Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sheep Dying

• 08-03-2022 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hey everyone, I have a serious problem. My in lamb ewes are dying. Three have died so far and a fourth is on the way out. Two were brought for post mortem and only thing fought was stomach worms at 400-500 so medium level. I have dosed and bolus all sheep since then. First 2 brought for post mortem. Vet has being no help whatsoever, blames the worms. It's definitely not it. I have moved all sheep to reduce numbers per hectare. Stopped feeding silage so just grass and rations.

The ewes basically stop eating and pine away for a week. Their eyes and mouth are clear. They can stand and no discharge. Anyone have any idea. I don't start lambing till 5 April. I'm at a loss.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Tileman

Sorry to hear that. Are they definitely up to date on fluke doses? Any word on that in the post mortem.

what about silage. Is it good quality. Are they exposed to fungal growth.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭13Ballymore

No liverfluke were found in the post mortem. Yeah they are. Liver fluke dose just after Christmas. The silage was on reseeded ground, it was heavy when cut but preserved well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

That's terrible, who's doing the post mortem. Ewes would have to be sick from something else for worms to have any effect, well fed ewes have good immunity to worms, we often had FECs near 800 in ewes with no ill effects. You should try a different lab with the next Post Mortem.

Like you I'd be suspecting listeria from the silage, very depressing

Would listeria not cause head tilting and circling in the ewe. I'm stumped at to what it is. I'll definitely need to do another PM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Tileman

Yea they are the usual symptoms of listeria. If they are pining away thwy are short of some mineral.

has the vet being out to see them? Or did he just organise the PM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Listeria can affect them different ways, but it's usually either abortion or in the head , but there can be different symptoms depending on where it affects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

Have you checked for any batteries lying around the fields.

was copper in the bolus? Could it be copper toxicity?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭orm0nd

any ragwort in the bales?

are they grazing the grass very bare?

Advertisement