Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

could I fix this Vaio

Options
  • 09-03-2022 1:47am

Someone gave me an old Sony Vaio vgn nr11z because i said i liked it and it was being dumped

It has window s vista 32 bit.4 GB RAM. The boot time is very slow. 200GB disc

The CDROM does not play and the mouse track does not work with left click, it does with right

I would like to see i could fix it just be as an interest.Does anyone know if the os is tied to the mother board? Could i get an SSD and win 10 ? Maybe a better CPU.

Any suggestions or ideas welcome.

This seems to have posted twice. Sorry. Fixed

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Comments

that's a near 15 year-old laptop

the cpu is just too old to be of any practical use as it's too slow

some laptops back then could be updated in terms of cpu (not sure on that one) but only with cpus of the time so still too slow

no use for much tbh

could try this maybe...

https://chromeenterprise.google/os/chromeosflex/

Thanks glasso. Would it run open office word processor and email with an SSD and Win 7? I think it is a Sata drive so be sata SSD.?

Don't you need to be online to use Chrome and stuff save in cloud? Thanks for the suggestion but i don't like chrome or Google's 'privacy policy' much .

I turned off all the run at start progs and it takes 4 minutes to boot😰

Would it be quicker with SSD?

you could upgrade the hdd to ssd if the interface is sata 3

with so old a laptop it's hdd, not ssd now

chromeflex can use google docs offline and other apps using pwa apps

you could try windows 7, of course the security support has ended for that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭wandererz

It has the max Ram on it for that model.

Probably worthwhile getting a cheap SSD and installing a slimmed down version of Windows 10.

If that doesn't fair too well then switch to Linux Mint.

With the trackpad, get a USB mouse instead. I myself prefer to use a mouse rather than the trackpad.

• Advertisement

Wireless mouse works but no left click. You have to click the right click instead.

The max ram is because it is a 32 bit system. Could you add more ram if you had 64 bit win 7

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭gouche

No, the processor itself is 32 bit.

The best thing to make use of that device would be to install an SSD and a lightweight Linux distro. Linux Mint might be too demanding unless using the Xfce release, something like Lubuntu/Xubuntu would be fine and could use Open Office apps and email no bother.

Its actually a 64 bit processor. Mine has the T7250.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/31728/intel-core2-duo-processor-t7250-2m-cache-2-00-ghz-800-mhz-fsb/specifications.html

I am trying to install win 10 from a bootable USB. It boots and runs win 10 but no option to install it? i cannot try a DVD install as DVD does not work

Are you sure you have imaged the USB correctly?

There is a difference between a bootable USB image and the version that is imaged onto the USB for installation.

Yes. When i try it on my desktop it offers to install windows 10. i do not go ahead as it would wipe the disk .

On the laptop it is like a live disc and i can go online. But change boot menu to hard drive it then boots into vista

I don't understand what you mean by

"There is a difference between a bootable USB image and the version that is imaged onto the USB for installation."

The USB will boot . I created it with either Rufus or a similar program to install from the USB. I think i used an ISO. it's quite a while since i created it so not sure

• Advertisement

Have you tried the 32 bit version?

Honestly, if you are going to use it for basic purposes and considering the 4GB memory i would suggest installing Linux Mint.

What is Linux Mint?

Linux Mint is an operating system for desktop and laptop computers. It is designed to work 'out of the box' and comes fully equipped with the apps most people need.

With LibreOffice's complete office suite, use the word processor, make presentations, drawings, spreadsheets or even databases. Easily import from or export to PDF or Microsoft Office documents.

No

N

No i don't have a 32 bit version. Have to burn one to USB

I don't like linux much. Often tried it never caught on to it

I understand that, but considering the limitations of the machine, you are probably just going to use it for web browsing and basic office type apps etc rather than anything more advanced.

Linux Mint has a good, easy to use interface. Change the desktop background and it's almost no different to using other operating systems.

Have a look at this overview.

I burnt the ISO of windows 10 to USB with RUFUS and it gives option to install.

The one that would not work yesterday was done with WINtoUSB

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Forget about Windows 10, its going to be way too slow.

i will try and see how it works. I am curious. with a 64 bit os I might be able increase RAM

Congrats on getting to the next step.

There is no option on that motherboard to expand further than 4GB.

You can install an SSD to speed up boot time and read/write access.

Have a look at eu.crucial.com for options for that machine.

Or memoryc.ie if you want to order locally.

I will. I want to put the current image on the ssd to see how it might improve boot time.

It surfs ok a little slow sometimes running Norton av comodo firewall and free malwarebytes. The mouse works fine Logitech m170

The trackpad doesn't work. i hate trackpads. The cd drive doesn't work either. USB ports all working

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,004 ✭✭✭✭L1011

10 *on an SSD* on that era of machine is workable. Spinning rust and it'll be utterly unusable

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭chonix

I would advise against trying to upgrade this computer with a Intel Core 2 Duo T5250 (ancient at this point in time) to anything beyond Windows 7.

If you install Windows 10 on this laptop, it WILL be slow for almost anything, even browsing youtube and/or heavy pages. Don't even think to even install a 3rd party antivirus/firewall/anything else... it will slow things further! You can try a "Mini" or "Stripped" unofficial version of Windows 7/8/10 just for the sake of making it work "ok-ish".

As it was said, the max amount of memory on this board is 4Gb of DDR ram (667Mhz FSB)

Also, yes, even if you don't like Linux. Microsoft doesn't like this laptop, hence you might prefer to go back to Win 7 and endure the pain (it will be slow to navigate pages there as well with.... 4 Gb of RAM) or try (give it a quick google) Zorin OS. The interface is not as bad as it seems!

Don't go for the 64Bit version but the 32 one. 64 Bit is not intended for this kind of laptop.

Anyway, good luck and keep us posted.

@chonix my laptop has T7250 CPU.

I have the vista OS cloned to the SSD and it boots from an external USB Sata connection.i want to put it in the laptop to see if it boots faster than the HDD

What about link deleted it goes to a torrent not sure if legit

That's ok, those processors are still old. I mean, nominal pure speed is not what it used to be. Nowadays a more recent set of instructions for processing media and extra logical cores and threads do magic. Even I would say an N400 would perform better in media task than those processors. Processors are no longer compared to its Mhz but that and the extra value.

Not familiar with that specific Win10, but I would give it a go. Certainly will benefit; but the external drive is connected via USB2 I believe, so you wouldn't benefit 100% from the real speed.

If you do the math of the time you're investing in this + buying new hardware, you will realize you'll be wasting time and bit of money trying to make obsolete tech work with Windows. I recently installed Win10 into a laptop with similar specs.... sluggish performance; even with a SSD. Because it had an older SATA port: Sata 3 + SSD does the whole difference, but I don't think that's your case (neither was mine: Sata 1 + SSD); the improvement in speed was minimal and not worth the effort.

Try at your own risk: you won't gain -much- benefit from it. We've been warning you: no dice in 2022

I know, its only for fun to see what happens. I don't mind spending a few euro on it.

I was wrong my clone didn't boot, it was the internal drive .There was a problem making the clone as laptop would not restart in to the winPE of AOMEI. It did with Acronis

I'n not sure about that link windows I linked it goes to a download by torrent? I will delete the link if i can

Thanks for the feedback

Bit of googling there revealed a link download the image in archive.org via direct download link (check on the right side) - https://archive.org/details/windows10-ame-21h1-2021-08-09

But, the biggest thing will be the RAM problem, remember; and there is nothing you can do on that end. No point in spending if you can't even upgrade that to 8 Gb at least.

I got it working. In the laptop the SSD boots vista in 55 seconds as opposed to 4.5 mins for the HDD

That is loading just windows and comodo. I don't know where comodo runs from i turned it off in msconfig

This post is from the vaio. It runs open office easy and cropped a photo in an old photoshop that was on it

Good to hear! It just depends on your use case. If you are not stressing it (using for browsing etc as i first mentioned) then it may be OK.

I would not bother running Norton, Comodo etc on it. Just turn on Windows Defender.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't even think about that is possible in W. Vista. Defender doesn't even "work" in W7.

Advertisement