Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : Spring 2022

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,967 ✭✭✭spookwoman

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Looks like the Eastern half of the country best chance of thunderstorms tomorrow, maybe peaking in an area somewhere around North Leinster and the NE . CAPE readings not huge but if there are enough breaks in the cloud to provide heating then there could be a fair scattering of thunderstorms. With fairly cold pool aloft and a negatively tilted trough with decent amounts of DLS and LLS some convection could produce hail and heavy downpours and possible spot flooding. I reckon Met Eireann will wait to see how it develops much before making a decision if it warrants a warning. Will be interesting to see if any funnels are spotted or some brief tornadic activity. Looks to clear considerably early evening for much of the country.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

A couple of recent sparks in Monaghan and Cavan.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Torrential downpours in Tralee, got caught out in one, short time ago, heaviest rain I've seen in a long time.

Just saw this issues for Germany it's a first I've seen Mesoscale Discussion. They are getting a hammering today Tornadoes and large hail have been reported with the intense supercells across western Germany. New cells have initiated over south-central Germany, including a linear segment. Unfortunate name for the forecaster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,882 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I must have missed that one.

How much rain have we had In Tralee the last week?

My bresser has given up on me.

Yeah my place out by Ardfert had little of the big showers, very localized, got soaked and couldent move from wher I was sheltering for about 10 mins. My rain readings are gone wonky and unreliable atm, I see The spa had 7.3mm , Killorglin 10.4mm, Dooks 11.1mm all today, Castleisland 14.4mm

Killorglin coming in at 36.4mm last 7 days / Castleisland 35.1mm

Ballybunion coming in at 21.4mm.

Don't know how accurate these stations ae but North Kerry would get less rain then near the mountains.

All the activity today in the N NE, haven't seen much footage on line so take it rainfall was not too severe , haven't seen any reports of hail or funnels ? Pales in comparison to the weather in Germany / Europe today.

Some destructive footage coming out of Germany today. ESTOFEX were on the ball, ended up giving a level 3 forecast. Unfortunately quite a few people injured and some seriously, a lot of damage done.

Very high CAPE values, Temperatures in the mid to high 20's, Low's with strong winds, troughs and cold front going through, huge shear both low and deep , high Dew points in the high teens. Tons of fuel .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,882 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Thanks for the information. I'm looking down on you. I've seen 2 or 3 inches in an hour on the stacks while at flemby it was bone dry.

Hardly any water in an empty bin I have in the yard all week and the last 24 hours filled it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭pauldry

Had 64mm of rain in Sligo this month so far.

German tornadoes and 41.8c in Spain.

Insane weather. No doubt much more to come as Summer progresses.

Ireland will actually probably get something too like extreme heavy rainfall some day like 100mm or really hot temperatures in Summer for a day or too. It's all the "new" normal isn't it.

There's videos on YouTube showing world weather each month and extreme events are happening every month now. Like 1 in 100 year events happening way more frequently.

Upper trough moving across Ireland with quite cold uppers giving a showery day on Monday with the slight chance of a few sporadic isolated thunderstorms possible, more so in the afternoon when a bit of surface heating gets going. Some scattered heavy showers with the risk of hail.

• Advertisement

A few hundred j/kg available tomorrow across Ireland, lapse rates fairly impressive given that there is not much DLS but there is some decent LLS, soundings below for near Limerick and near Clonmel, where the showers occur they could be quite heavy giving locally strong convective gusts , hail a possibility and would imagine big temperature drops where there are showers. KO index good for thunderstorms. Have the feeling there could be a fairly widespread storms breaking out.

Out of interest will be watching for areas of convergence in such places as along the S and SE coast later in the afternoon as convection peaks crossing the land on a NW'ly airflow, could see some big showers and Thunderstorms there where soundings are decent given that some convective clouds will be primed by the time they reach the coastal counties. Topography may play a part as well like in the W where there could be some activity. More interesting looking.

Just seen Dan Hollys forecast on Convective Weather

Day 2 Convective Outlook

VALID 06:00 UTC Mon 23 May 2022 - 05:59 UTC Tue 24 May 2022

ISSUED 19:32 UTC Sun 22 May 2022

ISSUED BY: Dan

A rather messy pattern evolves on Monday as an upper trough moves slowly eastwards across the British Isles. The forward side will engage with a frontal boundary straddling East Anglia and SE England to bring renewed pulses of rain here, slowly clearing to the North Sea. Elsewhere a more showery vibe is anticipated, but as numerous showers develop they will likely morph into areas of showery rain due to a combination of either a shallow convective layer (and therefore convective infill) or due to rather moist profiles with weak cloud-layer shear. This will generally limit the risk of lightning, although a few isolated strikes may be possible just about anywhere (perhaps eastern Scotland most favoured). Meanwhile, Ireland will be located under the upper trough axis with the cold pool aloft creating an environment more favourable for deep convection and hence a greater chance of lightning. It seems plausible that 300-500 J/kg CAPE will be available by the afternoon, and a few thunderstorms will be possible. However, under the trough axis cloud-layer shear will be weak and forecast profiles yield tall, skinny CAPE. Nonetheless, in all parts of the British Isles the rather slack regime with areas of low-level convergence and/or topographical enhancement could aid the development of a few funnel clouds. Showers or longer spells of rain will persist in many places overnight, rotating around the main surface low over the North Sea, and hence there will be an ongoing (low) risk of lightning associated with this activity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭Dazler97

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Recent strike in south Wexford.

We're living a charmed life in South wicklow so far,lots of sunny spells and a technical 18c 😂

But by the looks of the radar,we are surrounded, I can see hail shafts from a shower in the far distance

Lightning near Glencree,west of Enniskerry in North wicklow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

On the map, that strike seemed to be right at the Kippure mast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

I was playing golf on the mountain under the mast at the time and there was nothing. I got an alert on my watch of lightning in the area but didn’t see or hear anything. First time in Ireland I’ve had to bail out of a few holes due to lightning tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭pad199207

Torrential Hail in S Wexford along with some flashes of Lightning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,443 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Rumble in Kilkenny about half an hour ago. Sky looking very unsettled today

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

a cool showery day. It's only a week from June and temperature of 13C. Temperatures across the country between 11 and 15C. Disgraceful for this time of the year.

Tropical rain shower just now in Greystones. Biggest rain drops I can remember seeing! 2.4mm fell in a couple of minutes!

We got to 17.6c earlier in Arklow which was nice

Its now 5c colder at 12.6c though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭pad199207

Thunder in Kildare quite loud

Nippy outside in Waterford earlier, seems to be heating up with the bit of sun.

Lightning and thunder in Greystones....just offshore.

And some more distant thunder now.

Looks like most activity along coastal counties or just along the coasts, it would seem that convergence played its part in the end, not enough oomph for most parts overland for the convection to become electrified.

Looking directly east at the blob over the Irish sea on the radar,here's one small part of it,you can see its hail shafts even from here in Arklow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,443 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Felt like huge temp variations today- the morning was a bit cool but then felt warm in the sun between the showers. Why the weather is so volatile at the moment I suppose

Advertisement