Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Landbridge to Europe through UK - still possible?

• 09-03-2022 4:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭

Hi.

Over the years between 2008 and 2018 i traveled my car between Ireland and Central Europe many times - almost always going through UK availing of Landbridge to Europe offer from Stenaline or other ferry companies.

I'll probably be doing such route again soon (Europe to Ireland), and I'm wondering if this is still feasable option to go through UK? I might have good bit of personal stuff in the car as I'll be most likely relocating to Ireland for a while.

Am I going to run into some checks, queues, taxes or duties to be paid on the border, forms to be filled, or does it generally still work like in pre-brexit times.

What i might have in the car is plenty of personal items, some PC, audio equipments, maybe few bicycles, etc...

Does anyone have any experience?

I would pretty much prefer to avoid direct France-Ireland ferry as I used it once in the past, and didn't like it (too long on the water for me).

Comments

Surprised to hear that you are coming back, from all your previous posts I thought you hated this place and our people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

This is really sad to hear 😥

I know I've argued with other posters about lots of things - mostly motor related - on this forum over last 12 years.

I know I've criticized many of the Irish motoring laws and regulations which I though were stupid and I still do.

But I also said here many times that I absolutely love Ireland and Irish people. It's like second "better" home for me. No better place on Earth that I would know of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Well Cinio, fwiw I never picked up what the other poster said. Plenty of spirited arguments but nothing of "hatred".

You can still go via UK to Ireland. But probably easier to get the ferry from France to Ireland directly if you have a lot of random stuff. Or have much "dutyable" products, ie smokes or drink

I am considering direct Cherbourg-Rosslare or Cherbourg-Dublin options, but logistically it's going to be harder and probably more expensive.

My favourite option would be Hook of Holland to Harwich ferry where I can sleep, and then Holyhead to Dublin.

I won't be bringing any smokes or buzz. But I will have pretty much back seats folded, and full of stuff there.

Do you know how does it work there now? Do I have to sign some documents, make any lists of items I'm bringing?

Or is just just regular thing that they might pull me over at the border and browse through my stuff?

I assume I won't need to pay any taxed or duties (none of the things I'm bringing are brand new)

What I found out that from 18th March all covid restriction there are lifted so that's one less thing to worry about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

I've done Holyhead to Dublin a few times and if the there's no booze or smokes then it's just a case of them having a look in the boot if you get stopped in Holyhead. If your cars that full of obvious personal stuff most likely no hassle. Now if your driving a big van that is probably a different story.

Coming into the UK, from Ireland anyway, I've never been stopped.

• Advertisement

Thanks for your advice whomitconcerns.

I eventually ended up taking direct France to Ireland ferry.

I got in contact with customs control in Harwich port, and they advices I would need to have all declarations filled for temporary importation of vehicle into UK as well as all the items I'm bringing with me in the car together with their estimated value. (my understanding would be that each item should be valued on the declaration). Considering I was bringing plenty of random stuff, they strongly advised to get support for customs agency who could fill that declaration on my behalf.

So considering all the hassle, I decided to take ferry from Cherbourg to Rosslare. It added about 200km extra for me to my journey comparing to going from Hook of Holland to Harwich and then Holyhead to Dublin. It also added about €35 in cost of motorways tolls in France, as well as ferry itself being more expensive (€300, compared to about €220 for two ferries as above).

I'm surprised though how quite the motorways in France were at night. Coming from Belgium direction through La Havre, I think there were few stretches that I didn't see any vehicle for like 50km. Ferry was also not too bad as ocean was quite calm.

Advertisement