Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

30k speed limits for all urban areas on the way

1293031323335»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

I'm just going to make a few points before I leave things here.

Firstly, I suggest that if a person is going to refer to statistics to make a point, that person should at least understand the meaning of a word used to refer to those statistics.

Secondly, the fact that you continue to put the word fluctuations in inverted commas, and suggest it was inappropriate for the word to be used in the first place, strongly indicates that you still don't understand it. It seems you think it means inconsequential or irrelevant changes in statistical points. It doesn't.

Finally, if you're going to talk about distraction, you and others have long distracted this entire thread from its original intention, relating simply to the lowering of the default speed limit in built-up areas. You've broadened it into a discussion on road deaths and driver behaviour in general. You're even doing in the second part of the post I've quoted here.

Consensus even on this thread has moved away from any life-saving potential of dropping the limit from 50 km/h to 30 km/h. The most recent discussion on it focused instead on lower emissions and making places more pleasant.

But anyway, thanks for giving me a laugh with that post where you claimed you didn't refer to a fluctuation, before you immediately referred to the same fluctuation, and then referred to another one.

It was almost as funny as the time you claimed that a motorway is not a road. 😁

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

anyone know if google will release data captured by their phones, on car movements? i suspect not.

but i suspect you'd be able to come up with a rough and ready guesstimate on the effect of lower limits, on overall traffic speeds, if the data is granular enough; i.e. you should be able to plot at what points cars are exceeding 30km/h and calculate the effect of holding them to 30km/h.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,890 ✭✭✭SeanW

You were very quick to infer blame not just on that driver but all drivers collectively.

And if your claim of widespread dangerous driving were accurate, how come Ireland remains near the bottom of global and European rankings for road fatalities, and how come there are still almost 300,000,000 vehicle-kilometres between any cause of fatalities?

Either your claims are bull ****e, or Irish drivers are just incredibly lucky writ large. And I don't believe in luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Have you worked out yet why Sean referred to the significant increase in deaths and injuries as 'fluctuations'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Where specifically did I "infer blame not just on that driver but all drivers collectively"?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I think in the majority of accidents, these people were members of the 3.25 million drivers who were not responsible for an accident or tragedy, until suddenly, one day, they were. For those who don't understand how stats work, the fundamental thing to take away from it is that if enough people go faster than is reasonable, a lot of them will never be in an accident, a good number will avoid an accident, a smaller number will have non fatal accidents, and a really small number will end up being involved in a fatality. If we keep going at the current rate, with no change in enforcement or public attitude, the rates of deaths will fluctuate every year but they are unlikely to decrease and will in fact increase as our population expands (over time). If enforcement is brought in properly, public attitude will slowly change but more importantly, the small number of fatalities will decrease, the number in any accident type will decrease, the number who just avoid an accident will by proxy reduce as well and the number who will never be in an accident will increase. It won't end fatalities, it won't stop accidents but it will reduce them.

This said, for me, this isn't the reason for 30km speed limits, it is one of the reasons. The others being lower noise, a push to public and alternative transport.

As for the bit about luck, in Ireland, that is actually what it is, luck is just statistics. Depite our reliance as a nation on cars rurally, we are still actually quite "quiet" on rural roadways. On a weekly basis, I see people coming round corners at speed who have crossed the line to get a better (what I would refer to as a racing line) line. If I had been doing the actual speed limit, rather than under it as its a bend, I would not have been able to stop in time. This is regular for me, and other drivers, but it is just stats, if we had more drivers in rural Ireland, the number that were actual collisions rather than near misses would be larger. As our population increases, this will shift one way unless other things are changed. The number of actual hits that are never reported either as people are so afraid of their premiums shooting up and paying out of pocket also skews the data somewhat as well.

Anyway, as a former Dublinite, I would be happy with the 30k speed limits, aside from during rush hour it won't make a difference to actual speed through town, outside of it, if it were enforced it would quieten the noise down and improve walking and cycling uptake in youths as parents trusted in the improved safety and let their kids out more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Despite myself, I'm back to answer you one more time.

Firstly, I'm not arguing for or on behalf of Sean or any other poster here. But yes, I do know why he referred to the increase as a fluctuation. It's because that's precisely what it is.

Appears you STILL don't understand the word, so I'll explain it to you once and for all.

Fluctuations are changes in the level or number of something. The number of road deaths per year is in a state of constant fluctuation. Sometimes it goes down. Sometimes it goes up. But the key point is any increase or decrease in the number of road deaths is a fluctuation. Therefore, it was literally nonsense for you to claim you hadn't referred to a fluctuation when you referred to the increase (i.e. the upward fluctuation) we've seen so far this year.

And by the way, this is not about being smartest in class. It's simply about wishing others were smart enough to keep up. But they say you learn something new every day, so hopefully this is yours for today.

Edited to add - have just read the very good (and reasonable) post by @CramCycle above. And am heartened to see proper use of the word 'fluctuate' in the midst of it!

Advertisement