Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pork Liver?

• 10-03-2022 12:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭

So I normally eat lamb liver...but I at times find it difficult to get, yet pork liver seems to be nearly always available...

So my question is...anyone able to shed light on what is the difference between the pork and lamb liver...

I typically have lamb liver fried in butter and bacon, topped with a mushroom cream sauce... would that work with pork liver, or is the flavour profile very different?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭GoogleBot

Pork liver has a similar taste profile, but as male mid age, I rather choose a lamb or cow liver and avoid pork liver for regular consumption due to the extremely high amount of iron.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Haven’t seen any liver in years, let alone eaten it.

From what I remember, pork liver flavour was much stronger than lamb. You could reduce the liver taste and tenderise it a bit by marinading pork liver in milk overnight but it was still quite tough.

Pork liver was mostly eaten at breakfast, as part of your full Irish/English so it definitely goes with bacon. You’d also get pork liver and onions fried together but I’ve never seen it with a sauce.

Lambs liver was considered a delicacy back in the day. Yum!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭GoogleBot

Unfortunately, most people don't eat lamb/cow liver nowadays, hence all liver exported to Abu Dhabi, Dubai etc. in refrigerated containers. And what we have left is pork liver.

But if you go to real butcher shop and ask they will keep a few portions before packing the rest for export.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Dr Karl

Lambs liver is available in both Dunnes and Tesco Not sure about discounters

But be careful with pork liver as there is a risk of getting hepatitis E if it is undercooked. Cow liver is common in the US but was it banned here due to BSE?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Is BSE still an issue? It must be 20 years since it started. Surely it’s out of the food chain by now. 🤔

• Advertisement
Advertisement