Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drive to Survive

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Season 5, February 25th

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Season 5 will document the 2022 Formula One World Championship and is set to premiere on February 24, 2023, Red Bull driver Max Verstappen confirmed that Season 5 marks his first full appearance within in-show interviews, having criticized it in the past for fabricating events that happened during the World Championships.

Any early opinions?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,700 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Enjoyable. On E5 now

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭thefa

Only one episode in. Enjoy some of the insights from behind the scenes and driver interviews but not the biggest fan of the race recaps.

Possibly would enjoy more if they weren’t so recent and weren’t as narrated.

Finding it a bit of a slog but will try to finish over the next week or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I'm six episodes in and I'm struggling to stay interested in it. The narration,over dramatic narrative, commentary and seeing the same clips in different episodes is a bit irrating

the last few seasons were quite good, has there been a change in direction or editors? i have gone to wiki, but no answer...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,959 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I've watched a lot more f1 over the last few years and, as I did, my perceived quality of dts went down. Its targeted at non-fans, so I guess that makes sense.

Will Buxton is a dose too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Watching episode 2 of DTS and there is tgat fake Yoto Wolf talk again about how Hamilton is the best driver in the World. No he is not but he is one of the luckiest. I wonder did his opinion change after last year and George beating him. I guess we will find out at the end of it. Then Lewis saying the Championship in 2021 was taken from him no it was not Lewis it was won by Max fair and square. Episode 1 was quiet good too. I have not watched DTS since season 2 I'd say.

Decided to give this one a go since it was a whole new start and hopefully get it all watched before the new season.

Post edited by AMKC on

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭McFly85

I enjoyed it for what it was. I think it’s a lot more engaging for new fans because when you’re watching a season as it happens the Netflix version of some things doesn’t add up.

The silly season/Piastri episodes were great though because it’s fascinating to see what the people involved were thinking at the time.

Some editorial decisions were brutal though, specifically(will put in spoilers just in case!)

The decision to paint Max lapping Schumacher as this unforgivable sin. Sure Mick was slow but slow cars get lapped literally all the time. We see races where drivers outside the top 4 or 5 get lapped!

Also the last race was focused on Mercedes v Ferrari for second in the constructors but the big story that day was clearly Charles v Checo for 2nd in the drivers championship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Haven't started S5 yet, but watched all the previous ones, and enjoyed them.

Could someone clarify something for me? I have read comments on the show, perhaps it was here. Folk saying it was all very staged and scripted and edited to suit certain scenes.

Wondering how this could be possible? It was filmed whilst races were active, so surely all the team talk and dynamics were off the cuff? And the interviews and behind the scenes footage all appeared to be genuine to me.

Anyone know what the critics are talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,353 ✭✭✭✭blade1

It wasn't just critics.

Didn't Max say that they were making Lando look bad andhe wasn't like that at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Its a bit all over the place and you are constantly going back and forward between races,selective editing but it's those "real conversations" between Gunther and Kmag, Horner and Geri etc. I thought Schumacher was hard done by in episode 3, he only had 2 dnf all season compared to Kmag with 5 I know Mick had to two big crashes but no mention of the terrible Haas strategies, Schumachers results in the second half of the season were better than Kevins,Kmag making stupid mistakes like hitting Hamilton at Canada or getting pole in Brazil

• Registered Users Posts: 10,959 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

They show out of context radio clips, they show conversations the are staged (the worst was Toto telling George he's a Mercedes driver last year). They have talking heads making out that certain things are happening when they're clearly not.

A few years back they made it look like Carlos and Lando were massive rivals in McLaren, ignoring the fact they're really good friends. In this season they make it look like Checo's Monaco win was a key factor in him getting a new contract, but he had already signed by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Thanks for the examples.

The casual fan, like me, wouldn't know all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Just finished watching it. It was OK but I hate the way it's all over the place each episode. Surely episode 1 should be about the first two races, episode two the next two etc make the episodes an hour or 90mins long if they have too but this back and fourth is a disgrace. I am quite sure season 1 was no where near as bad as that and they done it more like I think they should.

Also it looks like Netflix agree with me. Nothing on the sprint races at all just totally forgotten about even that great result Haas got there. Yes there is a small piece in the last episode I think but that's about it. Should halve been more about that.

Time to drop the Sprint races if they do not even get the attention of Netflix.

I thought the relationship between Yuki and Pierre was nice to see

I liked the way they dedicated the second last episode to Dietrich Meistrich. That was nice.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Dave0301

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Longing

Yep pretty poor in my view all over the place, Bringing up the same race venues to tell there story. Only good point was watching Guenther. The rest was scripted and robotic.

Zak Brown really got under my skin. Liked him when he joined Mclaren but in resent years he is nothing but a waffler and spoiled kid. Without knowing the full facts of Red Bull overspend the statements coming out of his mouth were down right laughable. I hope Mclaren budget cap is looked into next year because the catering most be colossal with the size of that gut he is struggling to carry round.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Lawlesz

Actually agree on Brown, was a breath of fresh air when he was turning McLaren around but serious whiff of arrogance coming off him. Have only watched 5 episodes, and doubt I will continue (that is as far as I made it was last season also). First episodes seemed OK, but they slowly descended back into drama territory. The stuff around Max lapping Mick was cringe, as if that was some kind of disgrace, just to push the story of Mick being released. And then people who should know better, like Will Buxton, playing along with it.

Felt the way they treated Otmar was really poor also. The guy worked miracles with Force India for years, punching above their weight and being everybody's favourite second team. Last year he was portrayed as someone s*it scared of Stroll, using what was clearly OTT editing to make him look foolish. They carried that on this year, portraying him as a bumbling idiot, not able to get past the barriers at one point because he was eating, even showing him picking up his dog crap at one point to emphasise the point! Granted he dropped the ball on the Piastri thing and there have been issues since moving in at Alpine but I felt he deserved more respect than that.

Do we know if the interviews for some situations are carried out after the fact? It seemed pretty suspect the detail some people were going into before a particular issue, made me think they recorded some of the interviews at the season end and asked the subjects to play along? Though I find it hard to believe some of them would play along with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭quokula

Honestly I thought Otmar came out looking pretty good. He came across as an experienced and down to earth guy who's comfortable with himself, in contrast to the arrogance and petulance of Zak Brown.

I thought the season was ok. Yuki and Pierre were a highlight, the show is at its best when it shows some of those relationships that you don't see at all in the regular coverage. Also some nice behind the scenes footage of some of those team principal meetings with Toto throwing his toys out of the pram, just confirming what we already knew from reading the transcripts.

It is getting harder for Netflix because the teams know when they're filming and they play up to the cameras and want to portray themselves in a certain way. You definitely see some unguarded statements too though, like you could really feel the pain Binotto and Leclerc had gone through over the season when they talked about the pressure and the disappointment.

I think I'm the only one who finds Steiner tiresome. He's funny, sure, but he comes off as an absolutely dreadful manager. Interesting to see how when Mick was asked who he seeks for support it was all people outside the team, and how the German media called Steiner out for his poor management and lack of support to the young driver. This isn't new either, every season he's been the same, it was Mick this time out but you saw it with Grosjean too. Even with their cash constraints, you can't help think that team would go further with different management.

One other issue I had was how much time they devoted to it being Ricciardo's last season / last race at the end, while Vettel barely got a mention despite being a much more important departure for the sport. It was the same last season where Raikkonen's final year was totally ignored.

• Advertisement

This wasn't covered on season 5, was it??

Max Verstappen refuses to let teammate Sergio Perez back through and is furious with Red Bull on the team radio. Red Bull team principal Christian Horner has admitted that the row between Max Verstappen and Sergio Perez at the 2022 Sao Paulo Grand Prix was caused by a team mistake.

Because it was mainly a manufactured controversy in the media with not enough substance for Netflix to get their teeth into. Barely a race goes by without some team or other asking a driver to do something and their first response being to protest against doing it - e.g. Sainz refusing an order and ultimately winning in Silverstone was covered, but it wasn't made out to be a big controversy and instead was accurately portrayed as just one of the many events that happened through the race. If they had covered the Brazil race I have no doubt the Verstappen call would have been covered in the same way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,893 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Season 5 was grand - but no more than that.

You need to take the blinkers off. It was nowhere near the same situation. Max had already won the championship at that point, and anybody with even a pinch of reality could see that what he did was a scummy thing to do. The Sainz thing was Ferrari being Ferrari, it was mid season and still with all to play for. I would actually consider myself a Max fan but you seem to chime up every time he is mentioned and take things out of context rather than admit the guy has flaws (like all the greats) and doesn't always get things right. Its tiresome.

But nobody has ever used team orders to secure a WDC position other than first. It has never happened. It's something the media concocted up and put in everyone's mind "oh Verstappen needs to gift Perez positions now that he's the champion" - even though there is no precedent for any WDC ever doing that before, and literally in the exact same race Leclerc was running behind Sainz and Sainz didn't let Leclerc through which would have helped him secure second, but nobody bat an eyelid or manufactured a controversy out of it. If both teams swapped their cars Perez would have been worse off, so in a way it was a good result for him that neither team swapped cars.

Horner came out and admitted it was a mistake from the team, as they hadn't discussed it beforehand and it came out of the blue. Max made an over the top reaction, but drivers tend to do that when adrenaline is running high, particularly after a tough recovery drive having been hit by another driver early in the race like he was.

In any case, Netflix also believed that it wasn't something notable enough to be worth wasting their time on, as was the topic at hand.

Perez had already been told to let Verstappen pass to have a go at Alonso. You can't have it both ways. He was happy to make use of team orders, not only here but in previous races also when it suited him, and then refused to play the game when expected to return the favour. That's the bottom line, no amount of dressing it up or removing context changes that fact.

Your defence that "Netflix didn't deem it worth of inclusion" is laughable, given what we know about them. If you are really using what Netflix think as a barometer then I don't know what to tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,418 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Poor series...

The worst part for me is the seemingly wise and insightful pieces by Jennie Gow (who?) and Will Buxton (who?) ..

We knew you are pretending to give your insight about whats happening at the time, but we all know its done well after the season finishes and you are reading a script... ffs...

Zac Brown is a dislikable character... petty and ego aplenty (not as much as Lawrance Stroll though .... 😣 )

I dont mind the way they flick back and forward, but its showing the season from the pov of certain drivers throughout the season.

its not (never has) going through the season race by race, its the teams/drivers experience of the season. I like it that way , as its less formulaic ....

But , overall, i think the show itself is becoming less enjoyable, mainly due to those soundbytes by Gow and Buxton, and the way they do gloss over the whole story and just take out a little bit to use for some drama/sensation/angle....

And waaaaaaaaaaay too much of Christian (fcuking) Horner..... WAaaaaay too much ......

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

Jennie Gow and Will Buxton are journalists and presenters. Jennie was the anchor and pitlane reporter of BBC Radio's coverage but sadly suffered a serious stroke in December and is recovering at home.

Will was best known as the reporter for NBC in the US before they decided to just recast Sky Sports. He has since moved to F1 TV where he, among others, anchors an international alternative to Sky Sports coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,418 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

i know that ..... 😏

It was a sarcastic comment, Whatever they are, they are pointless in DTS ...

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Advertisement

Just watched the first episode of season 6. I have of course warned in the past that Netflix can cast people in a light that doesn’t reflect reality, but I have to say I can see why Alonso signed for Aston Martin from the first episode. Lawrence Stroll comes across like a Canadian Flavio Briatore

Advertisement