Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Company Car - Electricity bill

• 11-03-2022 12:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭

Hey all, I’m wondering if anyone could share their experience as far as a company car and who pays to actually charge it. The company I work currently don’t reimburse you at all, at home or from a fast charger, Is that the norm?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Ok so with a normal company car you get a fuel card. Diesel normally as you get the VAT back. With an electric you don't.

So I did ask when I got but they had no idea how to work it, in the end I just charge them per KM the same as I would for the diesel. The way our company works is we either get a lump sum per year which is taxable and then a per km rate. You can convert the lump sum into a monthly rate for the company car.

It is probably not the right way but no alternative, I really should check into it more :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Xithus

Thanks, yea that makes sense. We asked about it a few months back and they told us they just don’t do it because of tax complications, but that to me sounded like a easy out for them. So can I clarify, you’ve a choice between a taxable lump sum or a certain rate per KM. does that rate per KM reflect anything like the rate on your electricity bill?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭eusap

So you have a company car thats electric? If you lived in an apartment or flat and relied on the public network there is no way you should pay for this charging. The fact you can charge at home is a convenience but should not take away the need for the company to pay for it. I am sure from your charger you can see how many KW used, multiply by electricity rate = company paid to you. This is a valid expense and no tax problems

The other option is ask the company to install chargers and go there to charge up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

The rate per KM was pulled years ago. So its a lump sum and then a nominal per km rate for business milage. So either you take the lump sum into wages and pay tax/usc etc or convert into a company car. Then you still get a per km rate for business mileage

So for the electric its a company car so I get no lump sum, then instead of working out what the rate per km would be for electric they just said use the diesel rate, it should cover the cost of electricity

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

LOL, if they are paying you the diesel rate then you're laughing into profit

• Advertisement

And into a large tax bill also if they're paying more than the CS rates - EV max mileage rate is the lowest CS rate.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

EV max mileage rate is the lowest CS rate.

Although that's what I use myself in work I don't think I've seen it in writing yet

At the moment I’ve a diesel car with a fuel card, but I’m looking at options to change it. Seemingly there are some BIK changes effective next year which will see that bill increase substantially so from that point of view I might be better off even if I was paying for the charging myself. But I can’t shake the feeling they are just trying to pull a fast one and see if they can get away with not paying for the charging.

Am I wrong or does this refer to usage of your own private car and being paid a rate per KM for that?

• Advertisement

Yes, that's how it works - for the scenario I replied to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

Xithus can you clarify if its a company car or a private car?

If Company car, they really should be paying for "fuel" ie electricity, at bare minimum for the fast chargers. Essentially even though electric cars have limited bik at present (or none if under the 50k) they are still being treated as a bik although low at present. The car is a tool or a benefit, its only really an advantage if the employer pays for fuel and maintenance. If you pay anything to employer directly, say 30€ a month for "fuel" then this can be deducted from the cash equivalent cost (but this only comes into play if you have a bik cost or over the next few years as the bik rises).

In my situation its a company car and a fuel card they pay for. I'm trying to get some examples together of what other companies are doing because right now mine don't pay for anything, fast chargers or charging at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

What's different between a fuel card and paying for the electricity - its the same but cheaper again for the company. Unsure if they can claim the vat on electricity usage though like diesel.

Advertisement