Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Build or not build one off house

Options
  • 11-03-2022 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

With materials showing no sign of levelling off cost wise, ladour costs increasing and mental quotes coming in for a 180sqm house should I hold off on the build?

My fear if I hold off is increases continue and interest rates increasing.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭enricoh

It's a rich man's game building a one off now! Are you handy? If you went direct labour n gave yourself a few years to get it done it might take the sting out of it. I seen someone on here with a quote of 5k per square metre. dunno if the 4" solids were gold plated- I hope so!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Probably depends on whether you need to build at the moment. Everything tends to go in cycles, usually increasing, but if you wait till there's a downturn again, you'd likely get better value.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Mossie13

Unfortunately I'm not a rich man and I don't see a decrease in materials with the housing plan in place for the next 10 years, only thing that might reduce is ladour due to the smaller builders having less private builds due to people in same predicament as myself. If anyone has a crystal ball give me a buzz 😂

5k a sqm is mental, I'm getting 2.5 at the moment. Looking into direct labour at the moment and getting started is the only fear I have there once the ball is rolling I think I'd manage it, but are they savings actually worth the stress?

Advertisement