Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Six Nations 2022 - England v Ireland, 12/03/22, KO 4.45pm - RTÉ2, RTÉ Player, ITV1, ITV Hub

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

It was an exciting game but I’ll leave it to neutral observers to judge the quality displayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭clsmooth

A big lump of a tight head lock would have made little difference in this particular case. Ireland didn’t really go backwards. The scrum was wheeled every time from Genge boring in, Raynal made a decision early in the game that it was Ireland at fault and every time it whipped around was confirmation bias. Another ref would have pinged Genge early on for driving across and the scrum would have been a much more stable affair from there on in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭almostover

Nonsense, the only issue with our scrum today is that we continued to scrummage legally. No team has done that to us since 2013. And that was with Tom Court playing out of position. England didn't enjoy anything like that dominance so far this tournament. Even v Italy. Somehow England, who have a good scrum, destroyed the Ireland scrum which is normally very good also. This destruction was done with a handy sized winger playing blindside flanker. This is an England scrum which hasn't destroyed the Welsh, Scottish or Italian scrum this season and against an Irish scrum that hadn't lost any scrum in the tournament until today. Genge was scrummaging at about 45deg all afternoon and Sinckler just stepping around. Raynal lost the plot at scrum time today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭dublin49

France gained momentum against in d scrum this year and England regularly gain initial upperhand against us thru scrum penos .thats my opinion,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Ah here will you go jump with that rhetoric

good night

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I have gone through all of the effort to explain to you why your assessment of the scrum is absolute nonsense, and all you can do is tell me to 'go and jump'.

You are blaming Healy and giving Genge the benefit of the doubt despite all of the evidence showing your assessment to be completely wide of the mark and you're just standing by it.

That says to me that you either haven't a clue how the scrum works or you're just looking for any excuse to have a pop at Healy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Weird game. Felt like we were close to putting up a monster number on them. I never ever felt like we were going to lose the game.

I've given up trying to understand the scrum. My interpretation of what happened was that Genge got done on the first scrum and knew he was outmatched and decided he was going to have to try something. Got away with it and so kept at it. Reffing at this level frustrates me no end. The discrepancy from week to week with the interpretations of the rules is ridiculous.

We look like we are close to being a fantastic team. I'm encouraged for next year as there is scope in this team to get better.

Healy really struggled today. His power has gone. He just looks stiff out there now and constantly looks like he's running into a wall. One of the greats of Irish rugby but I don't think he offers anything at this level anymore.

Henderson looked like he needs a preseason into him. Just looked short of minutes and he wasn't sharp. He'll be better for the game. Beirne has had some excellent games for us at lock but still feel he is a 6. He's just not big enough.

England are bang average. I don't accept they would have beaten us even with 15 men.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭OldRio

Whatever about the good and bad about the Irish performance.

Did England ever look like scoring a try?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

We're in a great position at 15. I think Keenan, if he continues developing his game, will be world class very soon. Lowry will continue challenging him and developing his own game. But right now Keenan is untouchable at full back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

No

We could have played another 3-4 hours and they still wouldn't

Never looked like it v Wales either.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

You have to admire Eddie Jones' ability to be such a bollocks.

He does have a point though. If Ireland were giving away so many penalties at the scrum then why was there no card? Just highlights even more that Raynal had no idea what he was at.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Raynal warned Genge in second half for stepping in the scrum, which should have been a penalty for Ireland, reset the scrum and Genge done the exact same and penalty v Ireland. Furlong just looked at him.

You could see on the over the scrum camera what was going on, why didn't the video ref or whatever he is called tell the ref team? he got involved at other stages.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,586 ✭✭✭StevenToast

I think its time to bring cian healy and peter omahoney to the knacker yard...

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

Yeah, and your opinion has been shown to be bullsh1te

• Registered Users Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

This. How could a ref blow one scrum off the park without a card? Whole thing was a farce. Thought Healy did a good job against Sinkler, had him turned in a few times. If England were made to scrummage legally, they would've been in trouble.

Worrying that our forwards couldn't figure out an effective counter to Genge.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,387 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Didn't O Mahoney make the most tackles of all the Irish players? Might not have been POM of old but he still put a shift in.

They were getting pinged all round, doubling down would have ended up with a card

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭fitz

The only thing I can think of is that he wasn't sure he was getting it right and didn't want to dish out a yellow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

10 tackles. Tackling is a basic component of the game and is not something to be celebrated IMO.

Conan made 5 tackles v Wales but also racked up 7 carries for 35m. POM made 2 carries for 2 metres today. We need more threats with ball in hand, more viable options to keep the opposition guessing. But narrow down those options makes reading our plays much easier to defend against.

Doris VDF Conan is our best backrow ATM. It offers everything. Carrying, tackling, turnover threats, lineout.

Fiona coughlan on Friday night said POM starting makes sense because he isn't an impact type player from the bench and something about lineout (he did nothing there today). Cian Tracey keeps mentioning him bringing massive experience. It's not enough for where this team wants to be going in my opinion.

What exactly is the deal with Coombes? How far off the pace is he that he hasn't gotten a spot on the 23?

• Advertisement

POM's pashun-face was absolutely crucial during Farrell's decidely dodgy first 15 months

Hard to tell from the broadcast, but were we not telling him that Genge was boring in? Surely a ref ought to realise something is awry when a depleted scrum was bossing us repeatedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

England had gotten good ground at the maul and then had a 5m line out which they gathered. Ireland's maul defence was excellent, they didn't gain an inch when inside the 5m line.

That was probably their best opportunity but they took the points throughout which is fair given that they were attacking a man down. At the same time they didn't break us down really anywhere and we always had players deep to come in and cover.

From an Ireland perspective we constantly found space and gaps and exploited them, we were just in too much of a rush to land the killer blow and blew 3 - 4 brilliant chances well inside their 22 by overplaying the ball and attempting offloads that weren't on given the level of work England had committed too off the ball.

Our line out was grand, our maul defence wasn't bad but Reynal was REALLY slow to call use it on a few occasions when I think we were expecting it. Our lineout maul however was disappointing and gave up two turnovers. We let Itoje straight through to turnover VDF and then effectively did it again when we infringed trying to prevent the same happening.

Really the story for the day however was the scrum. More impactful to me than the red card and I said in the Ireland thread I'd rather play 80 with 14 men and a dominant scrum than 15 and a defeated scrum. Scotland will target us there next week so I hope they get things figured out. I don't think it was purely illegal scrummaging, I'm wondering was the bind between Furlong and the taller Sheehan problematic for us or was Furlong not quite right. Healy to blame for the third penalty but the main issue for us seemed to be Genge / Furlong.

Another slight concern is our discipline which I feel has disapproved over the tournament. Some of the penalties today were driven by pressure but some were plain foolish (Sexton / Henderson). Don't think our backrow was particularly balanced either, I don't think we got a whole lot out of O'Mahony and Doris didn't get on the ball in space as much as I'd like (the mismatch for the the disallowed try is something we should have worked for more). Second row similarly seemed to be under a lot of pressure and we spilled the ball in contact more then I'd like - I'm happy for locks to safely reset the ball but both Beirne and Henderson were looking to play and the turnovers leading to scrums hurt us.

Plenty to work on but solve the scrum and the score difference today would be chalk and cheese in my opinion.

. wrong thread

Heaslip was a consistently excellent player to the day he retired. No idea where you've got the idea that he stayed on too long. He suffered his back injury in 2017. In 2016 he was nominated for World Player of the Year.

He's in the conversation alongside POC, BOD and Sexton for the greatest Irish player in the professional era.

Last penalty there was a final warning but they were spread out over the game. We avoided knocking on after that but the game also began to turn at that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭KH25

That’s the point when I completely lost it. He finally called Genge out and then just watched him do it again. It was horrendous refereeing. It’s one thing had he never called it out, but the fact that he did and just ignored it showed how poorly he was reffing the scrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭_NAGDEFY

The majority of your posts today have been embarrassing.

Pack being battered for 70 minutes. We all saw where the real problems were. It's a big problem in the future, especially against the likes of SA, England, France.

• Advertisement

I think we have to be careful about assessing where our problems actually lay. From what I saw they were specifically at the set piece. Our scrum and lineout was dismantled.

We weren't however, beaten up in open play. I thought that in the tight exchanges up front we shaded England. We were missing two of our most powerful forwards in Porter and Kelleher and another went off almost immediately in Ryan. We were down three key players in the pack, but didn't wilt in open play. That's a huge improvement over where were were 18 months ago in teh Autumn Nations Cup when England thoroughly beat us up.

Advertisement