Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Law Students- Constitutional Law

• 11-03-2022 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

In my second year and struggling massively with constitutional law, has anyone used case text and materials and if so was it much help?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

It has been a while, but I found Keogh's Making of the Irish Constitution an interesting read to get context. To do a compare and constrast (with US) I'd also recommend Dorf's Oxford Introduction to Constitutional law.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭inisfree0504

What is it exactly that you're struggling with?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Anonanon96

I find the notes far too detailed for study and it overwhelms me I need something that can break down the topics so I'm not wasting my time learning whole chunks of material that aren't that important

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭inisfree0504

Yeah Doyle's book is more accessible and less dense than, say, Kelly's. But I wonder if the book is really the issue. All I mean by that is that it's very rare that I have gotten a clearer answer on what the law is in a particular area by looking at less in-depth material. Maybe you need to go back and focus more on the basic themes - the individual topics are a lot more digest able when you have the fundamental ideas down.

On the separation of powers generally - A Kavanagh, 'The Constitutional Separation of Powers' is excellent, as is Kyritsis, ‘Constitutional Review in Representative Democracy’ Would recommend reading the judgements in TD and Sinnott also.

R Walsh's Chapter on Standards of Review in Property Rights and Social Justice is great for proportionality.

Also read an article on the human personality doctrine. Also on rights generally and the role they play.

In my experience those articles and their content can be brought to bear on almost everything in Constitutional Law.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭catonafence

• Advertisement
Advertisement