Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roots escaped pot, can I cut off?

Options
  • 11-03-2022 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭

The roots in one of our indoor potted plants went nuts and grew out of the waterholes and around the base of the pot. Can we cut them off?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Are you not afraid of them creeping up the stairs and strangling you in your bed! That's rather exceptional escaping roots!

Short answer is, yes you can cut off the roots, Umbrella Plant (I think that is what it is, bit hard to see) is happy to have dry roots. However that is a lot of root to cut off and I think I would be inclined to do a half and half job.

Is the plant directly in that blue pot? There seems to be a tray under it so presumably it is. You really need to repot it, but to get it out of that pot is going to be a bit of a challenge without breaking the pot. If it is in a plastic pot you can easily break the pot off the plant and release the roots.

If not, cut off some of the root and see if you can pull it back through the hole in the pot - it seems a bit unlikely to me, but worth a try. If not, cut off the outgrowing roots and repot the plant in a bigger pot.

It is happy to be a bit rootbound, and in less rather than more damp compost, don't overwater it or you will get root rot. It seems to have been very happy so far!

Advertisement