Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lead Free 22lr for Rabbits? performance??

• 12-03-2022 2:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Any try any lead free 22lr and if so how has the accuracy and terminal ballistics been?

I'd expect that subsonic Ammo is not a runner in a lead free 22lr

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

The silence is deafening on lead free..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Asus1

Is there ap reason you need lead free rounds.When I had an air rifle I used to shoot in the head and as I didn't eat the heads I never worried about pellet.When I had 22 I would shoot chest and most times bullet would exit so very little if any trace of lead left.Is it a personal choice or is it now demanded if you are selling them.

I'd say the CCI lead free rounds would be fine but they seem expensive and seem to be going a fair speed so accuracy is probably middling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

I have special operations in a wildlife reserve under government control. I have been asked to pull out 300 plus rabbits in Oct but I need to furnish RAMS (risk assessment and method statements) in which i need to detail the end use of the rabbits and justify the ammunition choice etc etc

Subsonic would be preferred but that rules out LF ammo

LF was mentioned due to concerns of discarded rabbits being consumed by raptors (buzzards)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭kunekunesika

State that all carcasses will be removed? To eliminate the hazard entirely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭J.R.

Also, you could state the maximum range of shots taken will be out to 85 metres with subsonic - practically guarantees that the lead bullet will pass straight through the rabbit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement