Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unused USD travellers cheques

Options
  • 12-03-2022 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi, I have approx. $1,000 in unused Travellers Cheques at home. Can I call in to my branch and lodge these to my Deposit account ? (The cheques were bought by myself through BOI about 15 years ago).

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland Reps

Hi,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here.

Travellers cheques are no longer sold or encashed by Bank of Ireland.

Thanks, Megan

• Registered Users Posts: 13 JamBro

So if BOI are unable to cash the travellers cheques (they are issued by American Express) can you provide me with a contact point in American Express who would be able to assist me please ?

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

Banks stopped selling and cashing these many years ago.

Hardly their fault that you left them in a drawer.

They simply acted as an agent for AMEX

Here in northern Ireland you can cash them in the currency exchange outlets. I presume the same can be done in the south.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi JamBro,

Sorry, we wouldn't have contact details for other companies.

Thanks

Tara

• Registered Users Posts: 5,605 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

I had a similar experience when I brought some Bank of Ireland branded Sterling Travellers Cheques to the branch I had bought them from and they just told me to go away. I think that it is absolutely the business of Bank of Ireland to provide accurate details about Bank of Ireland branded Travellers Cheques which they sold on the basis that they could be cashed in if not used. Even if your T&Cs at that time put some time limit on that encashment, and if this is the case would you please quote the term that allows this, it makes no sense for multiple customers to have to figure out independently how to deal with these cheques. When BOI stopped taking them they should have provided accurate details to their customers about what to do. Any retail product is the responsibility of the vendor, saying that you are "only an agent" does not cut it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement