Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Playing Irish radio on Alexa

• 12-03-2022 8:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 125 ✭✭

I've noticed in another thread that many people were having problems getting Alexa to play Irish Radio.

This may be because it's primarily geared towards UK users and will naturally try to match with stations based in the UK. Biased? Probably.

I've created a new skill at https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09RKCN3CN, with the idea that you call the station by its unique three - letter code, thus giving the chances of mismatching with another station. You can see the full list of codes at lsn.to/list where you'll find all licensed UK and Irish stations.

After activating, you can call up a station as follows:

"Alexa, ask RadioFeeds to play XYZ", where XYZ is the three-letter code for your station.

Some station examples are given in my reply in the other thread to some of the users having problems:

Let me know how well it works for you!

Comments

Works brilliantly for some UK stations which are geo blocked here such as Scala and Clyde 1 & 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

when you refer to using "Alexa" - are you just referring to "Amazon's Alexa", or also referring to other voice activated speakers such as the "Google Nest" ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 125 ✭✭vinnielo

Yes, specifically the Alexa service, which is what was referred to in the other thread I've linked to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭sundodger5

Enable the Irish radio player skill.

Then it is just a case of "Alexa, ask Irish radio player to play" and name the station.

There's a limited offering on RadioPlayer.

No community radio stations on there and Spirit Radio, UCB Ireland, Radio Maria and Ri-Ra are all missing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

Just found this. Really good. Is there a way to stop it saying "I have found (station name)" before it plays?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

I set up routines for all the stations I listen to that were hard to get running on the Alexa. For example I set it up so all I say is “Alexa, open Spin” and then it’ll play Spin 1038. Otherwise I’d have to ask for ‘spin one thousand and thirty eight on TuneIn’ and it doesn’t always work.

That's there to confirm that it's chosen the right station. It would be rather awkward if, using hypothetical examples, it chose SPM rather than SPN.

But to answer your question, no, there isn't.

If you use the Alexa phone apps, Echo shows or Fire TV with Alexa, you'll now see the relevant station logos (where available).

Advertisement