Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Denied work from home while other colleagues are allowed

Options
  • 12-03-2022 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering around the new work from home guidance, I recently asked if I could continue to work from home for most of the week and was denied.

After chatting to colleagues recently they have all come back and said their applications were successful and they are only required to do two days in the office going forward. So basically I am the only one in the office that has to do full time working in the office now, is this not a bit unfair or biased? (small office by the way)

Just looking for opinions!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

It depends if everyone is doing the same job, or if other people have different tasks that can be done remote but you are required in the office to do your tasks

• Registered Users Posts: 25,471 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

First thing is to establish why they can work from home and you cannot.

ask the question via email and try and coerce them into a written response..

In my experience that sort of carry on is usually a managers attempt to facilitate parents and families, which goes on way to much in businesses… you can’t discriminate against people on the basis that they don’t have kids but it’s done in most businesses to some degree without censure.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

The reason it goes on in business is because you actually can!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭Augme

You can't from a legal standpoint though.

OP - to put it bluntly, have a good think about how porductive you've been over the last two years wfh. That's the only reason I can think why you're the only one who's been told to work full time in the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

Maybe you're less efficient working home comparing to others? I'm personally a bit more efficient in office due to more screens, bigger desk, no need to use software through remote, scanner at work is lightning fast, everything is more suitable to me in office. I don't live far away from work so decided to work in office pretty much every day. However, I have decided about this and explained to the managers who agreed that working home isn't as efficient (for everyone). Ir also depends on the job position. Some are more negatively affected when working home, some less...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

it's under the nine grounds of discrimination - family status.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Hardly a case of some having WFH requests in their contract being a possibility etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Just to add,

Everyone in the office does the exact same job as me, we are all around the same age also and don't have kids etc.. we are all mid 20's

We had a productivity meeting not long ago and I was top of the class with productivity while working from home.

Its definitely not to do with family status or productivity.

Then you need to ask your employer why your wfh request was refused when everyone else's wasn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Not much point asking people here, it is a very simple question to your boss.

"Why do they get to work from home but I do not?"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,605 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Just ask

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 25,975 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Maybe you're being groomed for a promotion. Maybe you live closest or have the nicest face and someone needs to be in. Maybe you upset someone. Lots of possibilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,260 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Maybe they see something in you that is lacking in the others and having you in the office is the best way to utilise that and the best way for you to progress and get promoted.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭CrookedJack

This really has me smiling. I would be simultaneously enraged and beguiled if I was told to work from the office because I had the nicest face.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,471 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Not legally. But it certainly happens alright…

Well if someone has to be in the office (in case visitors, clients, etc) call, then it makes sense to have the most-presentable person there.

Ah c'mon....its 2022......that kind of logic/thinking would have employer in Workplace Relation Commision before too long.....might work in a strip club but not so much in the 'real' world

The Equal Status Acts would cover it. It would be classed as discrimination on grounds of family status. You can't give preferential treatment to someone who has children, over those who do not.

OP, what specific reason where you given for being denied WFH? They need to be a bit more specific than "you're needed in the office".

Did you request WFH in writing or verbally?

(Are you the person who would kick up the least fuss about being in the office?)

No disrespect to OP and I sincerely hope you get an answer to this...... BUT .... I honesty don't know why you would come on an internet chat forum and ask total strangers a question like this? Surely if the playing field is even at work (all single, no kids, same productivity), YOU know your boss and colleagues better than any of us, YOU know the business and how it works, the obvious thing is simply ask your Manager/Management team? What's there to lose? And surely they will think more of you for being direct and asking an honest question?

Don't overthink things. Just do it. Tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

You don’t think making a good impression on clients is important? Did that change recently?

If you've hired a group of employees who all do the same job and only one of them is capable of making a good impression on clients the employer has clearly majorly fuckd up in their hiring practices.

The reality is if the OP is given that excuse by their employer as to why they are the only one who has been told they need to be in the office all the tine it would be laughably bad by the employer.

Perhaps the comment went miles over your head?? There's clear water between " making a good impression" and just letting an employee WFH based on their physical appearance! Your sexist comment reminded me of the Colin Farrell character in that movie 'bad bosses'

And yet the Organisation or working time Act requires employers to consider family responsibilities.

Has the op mentioned gender? How can something be sexist if it applies equally to both sexes? Do you not think it is in the best interest of employers to have the best employees meeting clients to make the best impression? I would have thought that was a given, the op said he/she got the best performance review. Whether you are willing to acknowledge it or not, appearances when meeting clients matters in a lot of jobs.

You pulled the PC trigger a bit early there.

Best bit of advice was given early in the thread, ask the boss why you aren’t being given the option to work from home, everyone’s posts here are just speculation. The Government has listed the reasons why employers can refuse and it is so broad as to make it virtually useless, so the employer just has to pick one. There is nothing that says if some are granted wfh, all must be.

Posters are assuming the reason must be bad or discriminatory, it could well be that the OP is being marked for promotion/management. So let’s just wait for the reason before jumping on the discrimination bandwagon.

What for?

Provided its not a proxy for disability, discrimination on the basic of appearance or weight or height is totally legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,810 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

If WFH is important to you, then all you can do is ask. Make it clear that you'd prefer it but don't get thick with them or complain too much. Keep your head down to a certain extent but at least make sure your preference is known. If they refuse then say nothing and keep going in and doing your work. Polish up the CV on the side and when you find an employer who will facilitate you, hand in your notice and leave. Even if they turn around at that point and offer you the WFH to stay, it will be too late.

You’ve never worked with someone who was really good at their job, but you’d never want them to meet a client face to face?

I suspect you're just trolling/ fishing but I'll give the benefit of the doubt & take it your 70s attitude ( kind of ' mad men' era), though disgusting, is just that...' from another era". As an employer I cannot, nor would I dare, discriminate against any employee based on their appearance/weight or height.... I geuinely find your ridiculous statement that these discriminations are "Totally legal" quite offensive. " Hey Mary you put on a few lbs during covid...heres your p45"....oh the WRC would have a field day.

• Advertisement

As an employer, if you have ever held interviews for more than one person applying for the same job, you have discriminated in some way by picking one over the other. It just may not be illegal discrimination. And yes, Ken, how they present themselves at interview can play a part in that.

Advertisement