Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheque or cash in an envelope

Options
  • 13-03-2022 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,880 ✭✭✭

Is it best to give cash or a cheque with a card in an envelope. Is it safer or hassle for the couple having to cash it. What's the norm?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Cash would be the norm, I think. Cheques are uncommon, as not a lot of people would even have cheque books these days I’d say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Cash is king

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Make sure if giving cash that it's handed to someone reliable who will put it away safely. That's the main thing. I'm not suggesting that anyone would be up to no good, but a card could easily get left down and forgotten about.

Sometimes someone specific is appointed for the day to take cards and put them away, could be a bridesmaid/ best man/ relative or whoever.

A cheque or bank draft is a perfectly acceptable way of giving a gift. I think they would get over the inconvenience easily enough 😁!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Would give a bank draft if that’s possible

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Cheque is best because it's got your name(s) on it.

Cash and bank drafts don't and can often become separated from the congratulations card.

If that happens, it puts the couple in a very difficult position when they're sending out the thank you cards.

I know this from bitter experience.

• Advertisement

Cheque - can't get 'misplaced' and you know if it gets cashed.

Advertisement