Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You've been looking in the wrong direction, the dangers are coming from the right.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,724 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I've re-read the OP and I don't see anything to disagree with there.

A lot of the problems come down to social media echo-chambers IMO. We're now at the point where those on the right had to invent a whole neologism simply to dismiss those with differing opinions. What we've also seen is what was once called the alt-right cannibalise the actual right in the USA. Here in the UK, the Conservative party has abandoned the centre in favour of the ethnic nationalist fringe.

There is no pushback because this is what the right is now. I remember reading a briefing in The Economist over half a decade ago about how social democracy was on the way out. The centre-right is there now. You're either fully on board with the Trumpster narrative or you're a woke snowflake. Anyone who's "woke" ("woke" being anyone who is not an ethnic nationalist) is the enemy and we know where that narrative can lead. We even got a reminder on the 6th January 2021. The centre-right is dead and that's why there's no right wing pushback against the far right.

The idea that Putin and Brexit are left wing are just examples of attempted gaslighting that fall apart when one invests the merest effort into being informed. Putin is a tyrant and Brexit was a pointless gamble by the Tory centre to placate it's lunatic fringe. If Russia isn't a fascist state, that's purely down to the state being too weak by virtue of corruption to properly impose itself on the population.

It's ultimately a whataboutery; the idea that because the left is alleged to be fomenting ethnic hatred and suppressing human rights then it doesn't matter that the right is actually doing these things. All actions are equal and therefore meaningless.

It's sad to see people buy into this and turn themselves into ciphers voluntarily parroting the script online but we are where we are.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The centre right isnt dead in Ireland to be fair though. FG and FF and a number of Independents are broadly broadly centre right.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Irony is dead. A Virginia school district is banning teaching 1984.

"A book in Isle of Wight high schools that contains violence and sexually explicit content is “1984.” A school spokesperson said parents will now be able to opt out of having their child read the book."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,724 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

That's true. Same for many European countries. However, a lot of countries have a habit of following the US' lead or even "improving" upon it such as Poland and Hungary.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 21,627 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Irony is not dead, it's another case in point.

For at least the last couple of years, so much of what the Conservatives in the US have been following the mantra that every accusation is an admission. This particular falls in to the category of them complaining about the Government telling people what to do and then this is what they feel is appropriate to do. The abortion conversation is the same thing 1000 fold.

They screamed for the last few years about Hunter Biden and supposed deals for his business being tied to his fathers action and meanwhile they don't bat an eyelid at Jared Kushner being awarded 2B by Saudi Arabia after Trump effectively gave them a pass on the murder of Jamal Khashoggi.

Complaining about welfare programs, taking every available payment possible to them or their businesses from federal support programs as we saw during the Pandemic is another example of them and how they tell people to 'Do as I say, not as I do'.

They're not alone in that respect, politicians on all sides are capable of looking after their own interests first but when it comes down to the efforts to control access to bona fide works of art as we are seeing them try to do in several states, it's part of a much bigger ideal, and problem.

I read an article a couple days ago how in Florida DeSantis appointed people to the Board of a small college and within days they had sidelined and then fired the Head of the college because they thought his ideals didn't align with theirs. The article, written from a right wing supporting viewpoint announced it as a blueprint for stemming what they see as the ideological alignment of education in general through targeting institutions directly. It's a coup of a different kind, but a coup nonetheless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

I take it you have no video either proving that the buses carried migrants or that they carried school children.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

This from the poster claiming Brexit would not have happened but for Rupert Murdoch.

Not Nigel Farrage or David Cameron or Dominic Cummings but Rupert Murdoch.

Also claiming Murdoch is so powerful that without his Fox News Network Trump would not have been elected president. Completely ignoring this omnipotent TV station’s inability to get him elected in 2020. Despite the network growing in popularity.

What was your exact hypothesis again?

The Sun was responsible for Brexit.

Fox News was the reason Trump was elected.

Delusional is the only word that comes to mind.

Brexit crept over the line after the backing of Boris Johnson, Nigel Farage, Rupert Murdoch Media and Russian 'activities'. If any one of these people/institutions had not advocated for it as they did, then it wouldn't have happened.

Same goes for Trump in terms of how he lost the popular vote but still won the electoral college and how rabidly Fox News supported him. If Sean Hannity and Laura Ingraham and Tucker Carlson hadn't advocated for him as they did, he wouldn't have won in 2016.

Are you saying that the free publicity they did for 3 hours a night on the most watched cable news channel made no impact on how people voted?

The fact that they supported him is undisputed, the fact that he lost the popular vote but still won the electoral fact is also true.

Where do you think the delusion is?

Firing academics because of their ideals is what the left has been doing for years.

Academia has been captured by the extreme left for decades. I would have presumed you would favour some more diversity in thought.

You quickly changed your tune when your nonsense was called out.

from the Sun caused Brexit to everyone caused Brexit 🤣

Explain why Fox wasn’t decisive in 2020

Carry on.

• Advertisement

WTF are you talking about changed my tune, I'm just repeating the same point I've made repeatedly throughout the thread.

Do you want me to use fewer words?

Maybe a tiny bit of evidence for your assertion that was it not for Fox Trump would not have been elected.

Without the Sun Brexit would not have happened.

You are just repeating what you have done the whole thread. Made sweeping statements without supporting them with evidence.

I've already given you the evidence for Trump and Fox. It's the same premise for the Sun.

If you can't figure it out, print it out and take it home for the weekend, someone will be able to explain it to you.

What evidence?

“information indicating whether a belief or proposition is true or valid.”

You have given an opinion. Not evidence.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

So you think people should be taking videos of random children to post onto the internet?

Do you not realise how creepy that is? Why do you want some randomer to record loads of children and then post them online? So you can suit your own warped agenda?

Anywhere, here's the fixture list from Athletics Ireland. You'll see that on 08/02 (when the video was taken) that there was the Schools Cross Country Championships at Santry Demesne (where the video was taken).

https://www.athleticsireland.ie/competition/fixtures

Can you drop the nonsense now? Your desire to watch videos of random kids is so wrong.

Trump Supported by Key Fox figures = Fact

Fox Shows lead Cable News Viewership = Fact

Trump lost popular vote but won Election = Fact

Are you saying you need evidence for these facts? Do you dispute them?

You should have a good think about what it is you are reducing yourself to in order to defend your ideologies. Actually, I don't know if it is correct to say that that is what you are doing. So much of what we see on this platform isn't coming from a place of alignment and belief in right wing ideologies, it's coming from a place of just wanting to attack those who you all perceive as Left/Woke/Liberal.

This is your statement:

“Trump would not have become President but for Fox News, Brexit would not have happened but for the Sun.”

You have not backed this up with any evidence. You have scrambled around with nonsense. Stating he lost the popular vote which other presidents have done in the past and in no way backs up your assertion.

Do you have evidence or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,869 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Was don lemon screaming for her baseless arrest?

Not sure you’ve comprehended my post.

I've already shown you my logic for making that assertion, I'm not going to go digging out individual pieces of evidence to show link viewership/readership of these outlets with the marginal victories.

By all means refuse to accept it, you yourself know it's true or you'd already be posting 'evidence' that it wasn't.

I get it, that's the MO the last week, demand irrefutable evidence linking specific acts with overarching topics of discussion or else deny the existence of that topic of discussion in the first place. Keep on with it, I'm not interesting in playing games with you.

• Advertisement

Of course your not going to provide evidence!

If you had evidence you would be quick to post it.

Called out.

Found out.

Now I’m very eager for your thesis on the left and firing in academia and all the evidence you have

Also the bolded statement about Trump? That you’re going off about SafeSurfer?

Its a counterfactual.

I have no logical idea why you’re banging every pot and pan in the kitchen about evidence for one. It’s unknowable basis of opinion and viewpoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Assassinations of Republicans 🤣

One was shot by a work colleague who then shot themselves and the other one quite likely has ties to her husband who is refusing to come back to the country for her funeral.

The only thing that ties them is that they were murdered with guns.

You're completely paranoid to feel the right would be blamed if they were Dem local politicians, aside the obvious link to the right opposing gun controls.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭ElitesTeam

You seriously consider this evidence. copium at its best.

Safesurfer, of course your not going to provide evidence about the academia!

If you had evidence you would be quick to post it.

Called out. 

Found out.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Thank you Overheal.

• Advertisement

So, sincerely no evidence? After all that massive tantrum, from you, for a standard of evidence? Wow.

You’ll need to retract or support your claim about academia before I take you seriously again.

Advertisement