Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You've been looking in the wrong direction, the dangers are coming from the right.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

We are at a stage where the far right agitators have shared so many fake stories that they need serious proof now to be believed.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The amount of fake stories going around about buses of men and fake stories about rapists is off the wall.

Ballyfermot - fake buses

Santry - fake buses

Dublin Airport - fake buses

Finglas - fake rape story

Temple St Hospital - fake rape story

Aungier St - fake story causes fire

Huge swathe of believe mainstream media isnt in any way true but automatically believe any ould shiite from tiktok, facebook, twitter

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Yeah I've seen the chats where these lads are knowingly encouraging each other to come on places like this and twitter and so on and just spout these stories. I've caught a few of them out myself on here, just caught them spouting point blank lies. It's very transparent at this stage and people are realising it's just an unscrupulous tactic of knowingly spreading false stories. Nobody likes being lied to or being taken for a fool with a fake story.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,630 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

And on the reverse side, was the scumbag in Dublin who tried to run over a refugee and posted his own POV video to the internet.

That's real, irrefutable and of no concern to people supposedly looking out for their neighborhoods.

I must say, for a crowd so deeply concerned about the safety of women, they have a rather impressive number of woman beaters among them.

• Advertisement

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Yep I remember you caught people out here spreading fake stories alright

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

some of my moronic friends were spreading the one of french rugby supporters being the latest "plantation" lol.

those idiots were protesting in artane last week, where I grew up, claiming migrants were being housed at the old stardust site. pretty sure this was a fabrication too.

Remember the Helen Lovejoy impressions we had here a few weeks back with people declaring the health and welfare of children was paramount and how trans people reading them books was all sorts of evil.

At the time, I mentioned Republican steps in Tennessee to lower the legal age for marriage (something that thankfully they were unsuccessful in introducing).

Yesterday, I read about steps by the Republican party in the state of Wyoming arguing against a bill seeking to the raising of the permissible age to get married to 18 (even though a Republican is sponsoring it).

Bear in mind, after they underperformed massively in Novembers mid-terms, Republicans have started arguing for the raising of the voting age.

So in their view, children are capable of getting having babies and getting married, but yet the age at which people vote should be pushed out further, and they want to people to believe that they have the interests of young people most at heart.

And more evidence of how nonsensical it is for conservatives to try to claim the high ground in the interest of keeping children safe.

Legislators in Iowa and Minnesota introduced bills in January to loosen child labor law rules around age and workplace safety protections in some of the nation’s most dangerous workplaces. Minnesota’s bill would allow 16- and 17-year-olds to work in construction. The Iowa measure would allow 14- and 15-year-olds to do some work in meatpacking plants.

The Iowa bill, introduced by state Sen. Jason Schultz (R), would allow children under the age of 14 to work in industrial freezers and meat coolers, provided they are separate from meat preparation, and industrial laundry.

At age 15, they’ll be able to work as lifeguards and swim instructors, do light assembly-line work after receiving exemptions from state officials, and load and unload products up to 50 pounds from vehicles And will stock store shelves with discounts. The strength and potential of a fifteen year old.

Iowa’s proposal would also expand the hours teens can work during the school year, and protect businesses from civil liability if a youth worker becomes ill, injured or killed on the job.

If the poster who registered, deleted their account, came back and deleted again comes back again, I'd really be interested in how they try to defend this.

• Advertisement

Happened upon this on twitter today and it reminded me of the fake stories I've seen all over the place.

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,726 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Seems to be an issue in the GOP alright. Matt Gaetz, Roy Moore and others. Probably the tip of the iceberg. You also had people like Milo defending them.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

And in 'not really news news', another country reporting massive numbers of sexual assault cases perpetrated by the RCC. 4800+, yet only 25 referred to prosecution.

Still, RCC is as right-wing as it gets. This isn't a new threat, though, same old same old with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭BoxcarWilliam99

The Maoist reds 40-80 million dead through starvation, persecution, prison labour and mass executions .

Stalin regime 20 million or higher starved, murdered and disposed of.

As left wing as it gets

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,726 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Nor have they anything in common with the modern left.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 FireflyIreland

In other news, the Board of Deputies are calling out the fake news network, GB News:

Matthew Sweet has done a lot of good work tracking far right disinformation.

And yet there are still leftists among us. Surely a security threat to civilized society

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭francois

The 1950s called, looking for the reds under the beds back

Have you been in a coma for 30 years?

Have a read of the OP and come back to us with some sort of relevant points to make.

The latest case of US conservatives showing us that every accusation is an admission, and also how some of them belong smack bang in the intersecting areas of the venn diagram relating to their main talking points.

The guy in the center of the picture here in the black shirt is Teddy Von Nukem (yes, that is his name after he legally changed it a few years ago).

He is in the news currently after he took his own life a few weeks back.

He did this on the morning on which he was due to start trial for transporting about 15Kg of fentanyl from Mexico in to America. Fentanyl, coming across the border, the very thing that people like Marjorie Taylor Greene spends her time screaming at Joe Biden about.

Think you posted this in the wrong thread, or else you're just repeating the mantra hoping people will accept it without thinking about it.

With respect to the world being safer or richer, the safer element is debatable and is the one place where it is likely true is in Europe, the safety of which is in no small part to the European Union. That thing in the cross hairs of right wingers across the continent and beyond.

The climate issue is going to be the singlemost dangerous element that is going to impact Billions of people more and more going forward.

As for being richer, what do you mean by that?

We've crossed the threshold where successive generations can reasonably accept to be more secure than their parents. The housing crisis right now will be felt for generations to come as people delay starting their own families, many won't, and those that do will have smaller families than in the past. We're already seeing the movement of the retirement age for various reasons. In the US, the all the metrics of the last 30 years have shown a continued growing disparity between the uber wealthy and the majority, if the minimum hourly federal wage of 7.25 or something would be in the region of 24 dollars right now if it had matched inflation.

There is zero evidence to suggest right wing capitalism is the hero you think it to be.

Are you suggesting that under some sort of leftist system everyone would be equal , assets would be fairly divided and nobody would go without?

Come on man. Pull the other one

The drive for profit fuels innovation.

The COVID vaccines as one example down to your everyday SME who provides employment.

No gulag required

Are you suggesting that under some sort of leftist system everyone would be equal , assets would be fairly divided and nobody would go without?

No.

What I am suggesting is in the OP.

No disrespect to yourself now at all. We have different opinions. You and I are both entrenched in those opinions.

Edit : Il have to leave it at that I'm afraid. Have a great day

I started a thread with 600+ word post explaining my viewpoint in a lot of detail, a viewpoint that has been ridiculed, but not proven in any way at all to be incorrect.

What makes you think if you started an opposing thread it would be shut down?

We have had no shortage of Left bashing threads on here, many of which are still going.

I thought we'd abandoned the disaster that is neoliberalism in the past where it belongs. It's funny how corporations are simultaneously "woke" and the bedrock of all prosperity which must never be questioned.

Here in the UK, even the Conservative party has shifted solidly towards ethnic nationalism and culture warring over promoting growth and loosening regulations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Well, well, who would have thought that the looney religious right in the US was a big time participant in the Jan 6 insurrection? These guys aren't as left wing as, say, the RCC is, in comparison.

Advertisement